Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Report on Providence Flower & Garden Show

carol6ma_7ari
11 years ago

It was worth going to Providence, a 1-hour drive, if only for the hit of green growing plants, blooming tulips and for chat with RI experts. Not as big as previous years, the space allowed us all to move around more easily. I bought loads of veg. seeds (and didn't have to pay for shipping, this way!) some lovely soaps, and clever colored drawings of patent applications, as gifts. Did you know that Plant Patent No. 1 was the New Dawn rose?

Listened to Julie Moir Messervy tell us how wonderful gardens are, how fun it is to be in one, and so forth. I was definitely underwhelmed. She seems to be overusing one form in her work: the spiral. Now it's her logo too. It was all so poetical and inspirational, but I longed to hear practical advice. Maybe the demonstrations taking place in the other rooms, took care of that.
The book store, as usual, was my favorite place to linger. Got "Scats and Tracks of the Northeast", very useful in the snow; and "Seascape Gardening" by Anne Halpin, published 2006, full of good photos.

Carol

Comments (4)