Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Newport Vacation - help me plan

pixie_lou
12 years ago

We're headed to Newport for a 5-day weekend in 2 weeks. we've never been there. Any suggestions on what to do there? It's early March, so many attractions will not be open.

We do plan to visit The Breakers, walk part of Cliff Walk, and do that 10 mile Newport Drive. Considering Blithewold gardens. I'm disappointed that Green Animals Topiary won't be open.

In particular - looking for recommendations for places to eat and beaches to visit.

We will have our 7 year old with us - though not necessarily looking for kid recommendations. But romantic dinners for 2 will not be in the equation this trip.

Comments (7)

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Brenton Point State Park (should be lots of colorful kites flying in March!), Fort Adams, Castle Hill, Hammersmith Farm, Sachuest Wildlife Sanctuary, and over to Jamestown for Fort Weatherill State Park, the old windmill and definitely Beavertail.

{{gwi:5901}}

• kpaquette
    12 years ago

Hi Pixie! I live in Newport..I love it this time of year. Quiet. :) That said, there will still be things to do! To add to what Bill mentioned, The three biggie mansions in terms of tourist draw are still open - The Breakers, The Elms, and The Marble House. If you happen upon a day that's not too cold or windy, the Cliff Walk is still lovely in winter as long as you're dressed for it.

If you're into history, the Newport Historical Society has a museum at Brick Market, and they offer walking tours as well - self guided so I'd imagine those are available year round. Often included is my neighborhood (stop by! lol) The Point, which has the highest concentration of preserved colonials in the US. The Truro Synagogue is the oldest in the US and is very interesting architecturally, and they have regular tours.

The Norman Bird Sanctuary is a nice walk in the woods, ends up at a long rock overlooking 2nd beach.

A day trip to Tiverton and Little Compton for the shops and a wine tasting at Sakonnet Vineyards is a nice day. Coggeshall Farm in Portsmouth is also interesting and is open year round.

Enjoy your vacation!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coggeshall Farm

• kpaquette
    12 years ago

Oh, and Prescott Farm in Middletown - Started by Doris Duke and run by the NRF. Free admission!

Here is a link that might be useful: Prescott Farm

• kpaquette
    12 years ago

Sorry I'm scatterbrained....as for restaurants - My favorites for semi-casual would be Pasta Beach for delicious casual Italian (Mama Luisa's for fancier Italian), Perro Salado for great "new" Mexican and to-die-for margaritas, The Fifth Element on Broadway has a great atmosphere and delicious food, or Brick Alley Pub on Thames for lunch. The Cooke House is also good for Brunch if you're around for that. (They have a whole menu of benedicts. mmmmm now I have to go there on Sunday.haha)

If you want a good seafood shack, Flo's Clam Shack is great, very kid friendly, and directly across the street from the ABC (Atlantic Beach Club) on 1st beach. For traditional New England seafood in town, The Landing. (though not nearly as good as Flo's!)

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kpaquette - of the 3 mansions - would you recommend one over the others? We had been thinking of The Breakers since that one is open 7 days a week. The Elms and The Marble House are only open weekends.

• kpaquette
    12 years ago

Hi Pixie Lou - Well, the of the three, I'd say if you've never been then you should not miss the Breakers. It is amazing. It's the biggest and most grand and still has much of it's furnishings. The Elms is my favorite, though. If you ask my husband, he'd say he likes The Marble House. So to answer your question, if you're only doing one, then don't miss The Breakers. :)

• sedum37
    12 years ago

If you haven't already left, check out Yesterdays Pub in Washington Square for good pub style food. It has been in business a long time... was good the last time we visited. Also in Washington Square, there is a movie theater if looking for something to do in the evening.

For visiting mansions, I believe the tickets to visit the homes can be used any time. The 3 House ticket may be best deal money wise and then you can save tickets for another time. I had done this one year we bought the Winter Pass and visited Marble House and Elms, next year Breakers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yesterday's Pub Restaurant