Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Has anyone had any experience ordering from Roots & Rhizomes?

bill_ri_z6b
11 years ago

I got a catalog in the mail from "Roots & Rhizomes" out of Wisconsin. It's always nice to sip a cup of tea and peruse a colorful catalog on a winter day. They have gorgeous daylilies as well as irises and many other perennials. I had no idea that there were so many daylillies in so many colors. I just wondered if any of you have ordered from them and if so, what was the quality of the plants and your overall satisfaction. The prices aren't cheap but are reasonable and some less fancy varieties are inexpensive.

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (16)

• asarum
    11 years ago

I like the catalogue, but have never ordered because of all the negative reviews in Garden Watchdog

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I'll have to look at those reviews.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I've always been tempted by their catalog, but never bit - I seemed to recall that they are associated with someone (and I can't for the life of me remember who it is) that made me not buy from them.

For daylilies, (and I think irises too) I've always had luck with Gilbert Wild - which is kind of ironic because after I purchased from them for several years, I heard that their reputation isn't all that great either! But I've always been very satisfied with their plants and service.

Dee

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

The "Wilds of Missouri" have always been my daylily source, and Shreiner's Iris Gardens for irises. Good size rhizomes, hundreds of choices, and very good deals for quantity purchases.

Carol

• molie
    11 years ago

I've been pleased with the daylily plants received from Maryott's. They have a good range of price and quality plants, plus their "bonus" plants have always been wonderful surprises.

This year we plan to go up to Bloomingfields Farm in Gaylordsville, CT, because they offer several beautiful "whites" that I saw at a visit to Hollister House in Washington, CT.

This post was edited by molie on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 11:32

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm finding that I prefer to go to local nurseries and see what I'm getting. Tranquil Lake in Rehoboth, MA has an excellent selection of daylily and iris plants, along with other perennials. I also find the Farmer's Daughter in Kingston, RI to be an excellent source. They have many unusual items and there are excellent display gardens, as well as a butterfly house. It's very organized and a pleasure to walk through. Briggs in Attleboro, MA has a nice selection too. I think I will use mail order only for items that are impossible to find locally.

• taechungkuk10
    8 years ago

I ordered from them last year and was impressed with quality of plants (2015 - I am in Maryland) This year, when talking to their customer service person, was treated so rudely I am waiting a day to call and complain! They wanted to mail the order in mid-march which is NOT appropriate for MD and wanted a $15.00 hold fee to mail later. I am calling later today to complain and MAYBE order again!

Celie

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Which vendor are you referring to, Celie? Tranquil Lake, Briggs or Farmer's Daughter? (Although I am pretty sure that Farmer's Daughter doesn't do mail order.)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Probably Roots and Rhizomes in regard to the original question.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Babs, you are probably right. It was just that I had mentioned three places in the post immediately preceding the post from taechungkuk10, so I wasn't sure.

• jazzallthat66
    7 years ago

This company has very fine quality plants..I've never been disappointed . They also pack their stock quite professionally and ship at the appropriate times .

• yamaha2002
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've ordered from them for years and have always recieved great plants which were large and in perfect condition.

• p_schoene
    3 years ago

endless wait times. ineffective website

• James Green
    2 years ago

Over half my order was a substitute of something I ordered -= I did not receive what i ordered - - or was an item that was so near death ( over half the item was dead leaves and dried out) that only a miracle would help it survive. I tried calling them. Waited over 30 minutes, and was hung up on. Never ever order from this allegedly Wisconsin inspected company. Horrible plants, horrible customer service, and a tremendous waste of money.

• HU-582002315
    last year

Yes, I’ve ordered from them 5 yrs. The lovely Daylilies are always true to what you selected, and the clumps are large and healthy. Not one of them has failed to thrive. Actually the neighbors and dog walkers always stop at my house to admire the 30 some lilies that reliably bloom every summer. They’re so healthy, I have to give away babies. I also purchased Veronica, and I have to cut it back to get sun to shorter plants. I don’t know about customer service, because I have never needed to contact them. Perhaps the negative reviews are due to operater error.