Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone had any experience ordering from Roots & Rhizomes?

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 22:26

I got a catalog in the mail from "Roots & Rhizomes" out of Wisconsin. It's always nice to sip a cup of tea and peruse a colorful catalog on a winter day. They have gorgeous daylilies as well as irises and many other perennials. I had no idea that there were so many daylillies in so many colors. I just wondered if any of you have ordered from them and if so, what was the quality of the plants and your overall satisfaction. The prices aren't cheap but are reasonable and some less fancy varieties are inexpensive.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone had any experience ordering from Roots & Rhizomes?

I like the catalogue, but have never ordered because of all the negative reviews in Garden Watchdog

o

Thanks, I'll have to look at those reviews.

Photobucket

o

I've always been tempted by their catalog, but never bit - I seemed to recall that they are associated with someone (and I can't for the life of me remember who it is) that made me not buy from them.

For daylilies, (and I think irises too) I've always had luck with Gilbert Wild - which is kind of ironic because after I purchased from them for several years, I heard that their reputation isn't all that great either! But I've always been very satisfied with their plants and service.

Dee

o

The "Wilds of Missouri" have always been my daylily source, and Shreiner's Iris Gardens for irises. Good size rhizomes, hundreds of choices, and very good deals for quantity purchases.

Carol

o
RE: Has anyone had any experience ordering from Roots & Rhizo

I've been pleased with the daylily plants received from Maryott's. They have a good range of price and quality plants, plus their "bonus" plants have always been wonderful surprises.

This year we plan to go up to Bloomingfields Farm in Gaylordsville, CT, because they offer several beautiful "whites" that I saw at a visit to Hollister House in Washington, CT.

This post was edited by molie on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 11:32

o

I'm finding that I prefer to go to local nurseries and see what I'm getting. Tranquil Lake in Rehoboth, MA has an excellent selection of daylily and iris plants, along with other perennials. I also find the Farmer's Daughter in Kingston, RI to be an excellent source. They have many unusual items and there are excellent display gardens, as well as a butterfly house. It's very organized and a pleasure to walk through. Briggs in Attleboro, MA has a nice selection too. I think I will use mail order only for items that are impossible to find locally.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here