Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 4:27

I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask here first. I just received a belated Christ*mas present, a Mason Bee House. Very excited about it. I thought about raising bees many times, but I just can't make that much of a commitment. I thought this would be almost as good. I'm happy with the product. The tubes are made of bamboo which I think should work out well. I don't want to put it on the house because of vinyl siding. I wonder if I should hang it from a tree branch or attach it to the fence. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mason Bee House - - Where to position?

Well, thank you for the introduction to Mason Bee H*uses, heretofor unknown
to me. . .when I first re*ad your post, I had visions of someone cleverly reusing
a Mason jar as a bee habitat !

But: a Google search not only told me all about them, but unveiled a posting
by the National Wildlife Federation explaining how to build Mason bee h*uses
yourself from scrap lumber - right up my alley. . . In their instructions, the NWF recommends placing the h*uses on the south side (sunny?) of buildings, fence posts or trees.

Carl

o

Hi Carl, lol....I am enjoying the vision of bees in a Mason Jar. Oh fortunate one, to be handy enough to make them yourself! :-) For those who can't make them, mine was purchased at Gar*dener's Supply and the link is below. The tubes are all bam*boo and it was very reasonably priced.

Thanks for info on where to position, Carl. My south side of the house is shaded by trees, so I am going to have to scout around but at least I know where to look for a place. It should be interesting to see how these work out this season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardener's Supply -- Mason Bee House

o
RE: Mason Bee House - - Where to position? 2

Carl, you might also find this link interesting. I ran across some you tube videos of how they clean them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mason Bee Houses on You Tube

o

PM2, you will have to let us know how you fare with this. I have been considering one of those houses for YEARS, and just have never gotten around to it - one reason for my hesitation is wondering where I would put it! So I would love to live vicariously through you and see how yours did.

Carl, I think you have PLENTY of time to start making them now, and then have enough to hand out at the spring swap.

;)
Dee

o

O.K. You've tipped me over the edge - I am now obsessed with my mason bee
building project ! The YouTube video that you linked me to shows the easiest
and simplest design; the fact that it's just 2" wide means that you can easily hang it on ANY vertical 4x4 post in your garden - fence, arbor, birdhouse post, you name it.

But the other link to Garden Supply: that bamboo design is just SO cool that
I'm going to have to order one of those as well ! Thanks for all the info.....

Carl

o

Dee, I will try to take photos and notes to post so you can see how it is going, one way or the other. If your experience is anything like mine, I have noticed a decline in the population of bees here and with all the reports of hive deaths, I would love to do something to support bees. In our suburban neighborhood on small lots, I don't see many places that bees could build nests. I just couldn't do Bee Hives at this point, but these Mason Bee Houses seem doable.

Carl, I didn't see the 2" wide house, that sounds very interesting. I'll have to go back and check that out. Looking forward to photos of your efforts.

pm2

o

Did you order some bees to go with it or is there some trick to luring them into the new bee house? I was looking at the houses and the same site also sold bees to go with it but you had to order before march 1st so it is too late to order bees but if they will move in on their own maybe I can still order the house?

o

indy, I didn't see that they sold bees, but I think people are trying to house 'native' mason bees. So they erect the house and hope for occupants. At least that is what I am trying to do. I did do a little more looking and I found this Q/A on the UBC Botanical site linked below in which they discuss the houses and placement of the houses, but no mention of purchasing bees. I'm still looking further. I did see that they suggest getting them up by the end of March. Some people suggest the Southern exposure and some east. It is also recommended to place them under an overhang to keep them dry, which I don't have. This house actually has a metal hoop to hang it from a tree, but I am wondering if motion from the wind will bother them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mason Bee Houses - UBC Botanical Garden Forums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here