Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

UNH open greenhouses

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
13 years ago

For anyone close by, this is the weekend (Friday and Saturday) that the UNH greenhouses are open in Durham, NH. They have talks on various gardening topics, perennials (very early but I always get a few and nurse them along until it's warm enough outside), herbs, some tomato plants, and pansies for sale, some gardens (largely bulbs this year, nursery rhyme related themes) and you can visit most of the greenhouse complex. The students are quite involved in selling plants, setting up gardens, etc. There are poster boards on university research and other topics of interest to gardeners. It's in association with the Seacoast home and garden show which is mostly home, though if you are in the market for hardscape, home improvements, solar panels, etc., it's worth the short walk over to the Whitamore (sp?) Arena. There are usually a few gardens and some folks selling plants there as well. There's a fee for the show, but the greenhouses are free.

Comments (5)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Moving this down

• poultryman
    13 years ago

It was my first time at the open house. It was nice, but boy was it crowded. I don't understand why people think it so great to bring along children who are too young to possibly appreciate what is going on. It was difficult enough trying to wade through the crowd, without the addition of so many children. I don't think many three year olds care about the research being done on strawberry cultivars, or squash hybrids. Can't they play with crayons at home? The plant sale was much better than expected. I wish that I was better prepared, and had brought more money. Their fungus gnat population could use a bit more control. Not that I don't have them in my greenhouse, but there are more on the three plants that I brought home than I've seen in my greenhouse in a week. I didn't dare put them in the greenhouse, for fear of introducing a pesticide resistant strain, so they're in the spare room until May.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice to hear someone else went. I usually go on Friday to avoid the worst of the crowding since I work on campus. I always find a few plants follow me home, but I haven't had issues with fungus gnats. I often find plants there that I can't find locally, and have gotten some at really reasonable prices, as well as some at average prices.

• poultryman
    13 years ago

I did go on Friday, first thing. I can't imagine what it would be like on Saturday. I bought only perennials. That other sale with mostly common stuff didn't have much that interested me. I didn't see any bargains, but the quality and the selection were great. I know what goes into growing a quality plant, so I didn't mind paying the prices for what I bought, except for the bonus gnats.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last year I got (and they had them this year) a huge non-hardy cyclamen that bloomed forever and is right now sending out a new round of leaves so I know that it will be blooming again (third time) in the not-too distant future. They were only $6!

I saw some pansies that were inexpensive as well. I am a sucker for pansies because you can plant them out really early, though I am sure that they would need hardening off. Two years ago I got a 6' potted Amelanchier for $20. Getting it into my tiny car was an experience!

In previous years I have gone late morning and it has been quite crowded. Due to work schedules I went this year around 2 pm and it was still busy (and it really isn't set up for lots of visitors at once with narrow aisles, etc.) but it was much better than in the morning.