Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just after we put the snow shovels away...

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 8:22

Wouldn't you know it? 3 days ago we felt winter was over and we stored the snow shovels, the ice hacker and the big pail of Ice Melt in the shed, happy to not need them until next winter. Then lo, the weather forecast cheerfully announced more snow due tonight and tomorrow.

Just when I was all set to put away my wool sox and insulated gloves. Ah, Mother Nature, you do like to keep us on alert.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just after we put the snow shovels away...

Ah-Hah! So you're the one who did it. Don't you know it's bad luck to put them away before the Fourth of July? :)

o

8:30 at night in Rhode Island and its snowing LOL...i have a 55 gal drum out side filled with burnning brush and old wood..i will be damned if i dont melt all this snow by morning...also chilli dogs cooking on the stove...this may take all night..dam this snow i want to plow my land!!!!!

o

LOL, Ginny!

We've got 2 shovels on the front porch, and one on the back, right next to the main doors. That should keep the snow away from Cape Cod.

I did get a chance to turn my compost piles during the thaw. They were rock solid last month, but fully defrosted by a couple of days ago. What a workout - I hope I don't have to shovel snow after that.

o

We only got a dusting, after all the fuss. And that's because after reading Ginny's post, I took out a snow shovel and reverently placed it on the porch, as an offering.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 11:05

I had put the snow shovels away but I tried to balance it by buying a new ice chopper (50% off on sale) to deter ice formation. I also left the fancy rubber treads on the steps and the snow broom outside. About an inch early this morning but it's melting now. Maybe it really is spring!

Claire

o

I did my part--bought an extra bag of rock salt (on sale) and set it just inside the garage door where I could get to it easily. Broom & snow shovel are right where they've been since December which I'm sure accounts to some extent for us getting less than 1/8 inch of snow overnight. If it weren't so cold I'd be out there with my collapsible barrel clearing last years leaves & debris out of the flowerbeds but it's just downright frigid even with plenty of layers.

o

I agree... like taking your umbrella with you.... no rain.
Keep those shovels out at the ready! This week's predicted snowfall was a bust here - it did snow, but was gone quickly.
The two days we had that felt like spring I cleaned up one of my flower gardens, made a small fence, planted some hostas at my mother's house, and cleaned up the backyard. This winter sure was harsh. There is so much cleaning up
and fixing up that needs to be done in addition to the usual spring chores.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here