Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?

Finally starting to feel like the growing season is about to start. I thought we could keep this thread going for the season to report on any sales we know of and any special purchases being offered any where. Feel free to post for any New England location about what you are looking for as well as what you are finding.

I see that Russell's is having a sale on their seeds through today or tomorrow. 20% off. Not going to be able to get to that one, so I'm looking for a sale for seeds. I ordered from FEDCO but they were out of a few. In case anyone hears of seeds on sale!

Comments (23)

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

Well, I mentioned in another thread the Bristol County Soil Conservation Office is having heir annual plant sale.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Let the enabling begin!!! LOL!!!

• defrost49
    10 years ago

Ocean State Job Lots has a small selection of Burpee seeds at 40% off. Looks like all the time.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Brushwood Nursery sent me this announcement for March 15 & 16:
    This weekend only! Save up to 50% on a huge selection of clematis for spring. Order now and pick your delivery date at checkout. Over a dozen are shown below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood sale clematis 3/15 - 3/16

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

debra_boston: You'll get better response if you start a new thread. For some reason GW is making it harder - you have to scroll way to the bottom of the New England Gardening page, past a lot of white space, to find the place to start the thread.

Once you find that place, you can copy your post here by using the edit post feature (copy the Message box) and just paste that into the new thread.

Claire

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

prairiemoon2 - depending on what seed types you're looking for (I don't do annuals), I'd be happy to send you some perennial seeds in exchange for postage. I'm a seedaholic and am compelled to harvest seeds from my own perennials every year despite the fact my garden beds are pretty much stuffed to capacity. LMK

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Gardenweed, what a generous offer to send me seed. I really appreciate it. Have had a few obstacles to starting seed this year so far, but we were just in the basement looking for lights and fans and I may get something set up today, finally.

I had to go back and look at my original post to see what I was out of, and the order to FEDCO was pretty much vegetable seeds. And IâÂÂve forgotten what I was missing. I hope I can take a look at what I have next week and see if I still need more seed. Right now, IâÂÂd be happy just to get the seeds I have started. [g] But thanks very much and IâÂÂll check with you later.

Anyone else starting seed this year?

Babs, thanks for the link to the sale for Clematis, I may need that, after this long frozen winter!

Thanks Defrost for the idea of Ocean State Job Lots. ThatâÂÂs a good discount.

Debra, quite a problem solved to have the lettuce growing at waist height. Ingenious!

And I didnâÂÂt realize there were so many Conservation Sales, Ed. Good to know.

Yes, Thyme2, I 'think' itâÂÂs almost time to beginâ¦nice and sunny out there but 23 degrees on the 16th of March? Hopefully, next week in the 40s, weâÂÂll all get out in the garden!

• dfaustclancy
    10 years ago

Claire - Thanks so much for telling me where the new message post window is now located! I could NOT find the bugger...! I have now reposted in a new window.

And Prairiemoon 2 - thanks for your patience. Also, I just discovered that the Dollar Store has seeds for 25 cents a pack, even though the packs say 99cents each. See my photo for the kinds that I bought!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're going to have great looking Zinnias this year, Debra! Thanks for the tip! No problem whatever, Debra. :-)

And I'm a little confused, I still see the link to 'Post a Message' at the top of the front page of the NE Forum, right above the title of the forum. Right where it's always been. Am I missing something?

• corunum z6 CT
    10 years ago

PM2 - I see a large posting area directly under the last post on any thread. I've never used the 'top of the page' link - have always used the large area at the bottom of the webpage where in blue it reads: Post a Follow-Up in large letters.
    I'm usually logged in and have this page bookmarked, so may be that I see it differently. Don't know, but the bottom of the page area is quite large.
    Jane

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

Jane: The issue is how to post a new thread, not a follow-up on an existing thread.

It's the same setup, though; you either use a link on the top of the page or go directly to the bottom. I've always gone to the bottom of the main form page, just below the search function, and started my thread there.

PM2: That's funny, I had to search all over the main forum page to find that top of the page link. I don't think I've ever used it - so much easier to just use the box on the bottom of the page rather than go through the extra step of clicking on a link that leads to the box. It's all that white space at the bottom that throws you off - I also was confused by it when it suddenly appeared.

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lolâ¦.I've never used the bottom of the page. When I am on the front page of the forum, I'm usually looking at just the few top threads that are active and one click is faster to me, than scrolling down to the bottom of the page.

And I rarely start a thread any more, so I don't use it much any way. Nice to have more than one way to do it, different strokes and all that⦠:-)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Barb, thanks for the tip on the clematis. My order is being placed tonight!

Finally got lots of seed started this afternoon. It too buy some at Ocean State. They have a fairly decent selection. Never even thought to go to the Dollar Store for seeds. Also was just in BJs with my friend who has a membership and picked up some nice packages of plants. Got Liatris in white and purple and gladiolus as well. Bags were ten bucks each but had a lot of bulbs. I think there were 70 in the glad bag. I was so tempted to get a few bags, but always tend to overdo it, so I restrained myself! I planted glads in the garden last year for the first time in a long time and really, really enjoyed them.

• silvergirl426_gw
    10 years ago

Select Seeds -- a local Ct company, YAY! -- was having a 20% off sale this week, I think. Check it out. I've gotta start my seeds this week. When will spring come? Puh-leeeeez!
    lucia

• silvergirl426_gw
    10 years ago

Also, Tractor Supply seeds are 25% off. Just got some sweet peas!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's getting to be that time of year again. If you come across sales, please post them here. :-)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

PM2, How about if we do a new thread for 2015. I'll start it. For me with a slow internet connection (living out in the boonies does have a few drawbacks) it will be much easier.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Babs, happy for you to start a new thread. Thanks. I didn't realize there were any slow internet connections still around. I think the benefits of living in the boonies still outweigh the disadvantages. At least that's my perception, never having lived in the boonies really. [g] Always wanted to.

• defrost49
    9 years ago

LOL I think we could have a faster internet connection (TDS here) but we're too frugal. Life in the slow lane.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I agree that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages of the boonies. We only have 2 interent options, the phone company or Hughesnet (satellite), since although 60% of my town has cable we are in the 40% that doesn't. (Funny that all the selectmen's homes were covered, though.) We currently have Hughesnet, but they limit the amount of data to the point that 10 -15 minutes of video uses up our entire data for the day, and we aren't on the lowest data plan! Good thing we have laptops since we have to go elsewhere to download new software or updates. (They have an option to download between 2-7 AM, but it only works for Windows and we have Macs.) We are planning to try the phone company now that they have concluded their strike since our neighbor has better connection with them, especially at high volume times like 6-8 AM and 3-12 PM.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Defrost, Frugal is good and smart. :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babs, Wow, that is pretty restrictive. I hope the phone company can offer more. I'll bet during gardening season you could almost live without internet service. [g]