Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find a substantial potting bench?

Posted by javaandjazz z6 CT (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 9:50

I'm in southern CT and looking for a potting bench. Nothing cheesy, I would like something that will last. Would prefer not to order online but if I have to I will but would like to get locally. Has anyone seen any around? Thanks, Richie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find a substantial potting bench?

This is a used one on craigslist but it may not be big enough, only 48" wide:

http://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/2229797821.html

o

Richie, a little while back someone in Milford was selling a pretty nice one on craigslist for fifty bucks. The only reason I did't get it myself was that I had no way to transport it.

I don't know if this particular one is still available, but you might want to check craigslist. (it was most likely the New Haven CL, but might have been Fairfield Cty) I haven't been out and about much to see if there are any available locally in stores.

Good luck!
:)
Dee

o

Another option would be to find a carpenter or builder to build you one. The economy being what it is, many builders are looking for work, and that way you would get exactly what you want.

o

I would consider building one. I built mine from the plans listed in one of my Garden Gate magazines. I've posted to link to it below. The picture in the link is rather small. If I have time this weekend, I'll take some pictures of mine to show you what it looks like up close. I've been extremely happy with it. Mine is in the basement so I didn't take the time to stain it or paint it which you may want to do if yours will be outside. Take note that this potting bench is really heavy. You really need to build it in the area where it will reside. It would be really difficult to move it to another location after it was built.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potting Bench plans

o

tree oracle, that's a pretty nice-looking bench! Lots of room! Too bad I can't build anything. Been seriously thinking of taking some woodworking/carpentry classes though....

:)
Dee

o

You are probably looking for something more polished and less rustic than this, but it surely has to be durable. From the junk garden web, a potting bench made from pallets:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg0208082812766.html?17

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here