Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Time for planting peas?

carol6ma_7ari
13 years ago

I've bought my pea seeds and tradition around here is to plant them about St. Patrick's Day (March 17). The ground is soft, the snow is gone -- should I go ahead and do it today?

Carol

Comments (14)

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Your soil needs to be 45 degrees to plant peas. Use your soil thermometer - check your soil in numerous spots. And I typically test the temperature for a couple days. Then soak your pea seeds overnight and plant the next morning.

I'm at the Pike and 128. Last year I planted my pea seeds on 8 March. However this year I still had snow on the garden on 8 March! It all depends on the weather, not the calendar.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

FWIW - when I tested my soil temp today, it was only 40 degrees. Unless we get some really warm weather, I'm guessing it is going to be 2 weeks until I can plant my peas.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I usually don't check the soil temperature, just dig a trench, place the peas and cover. And I don't soak the peas first, either. The very moist spring soil takes care of that. The peas may germinate a few days later, but I'm so lazy! - I love to garden with the least work.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Carol, I'm just itching to get the vegetable garden started this year. I'm planning on sowing my peas this weekend here in zone 6a. I have raised vegetables beds and they warm up faster. I don't own a soil thermometer either. I had one a long time ago, but found I rarely used it.

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

Hello All you lucky gardeners aLREADY TALKING ABOUT PLANTING PEAS!

The Leprechauns are going to have to dance across the foot of snow on my raised beds here on the coastal southern Maine. MAybe if we get more rain, but I can't see me planting peas for at least another three maybe four weeks! Maybe by Patriot Day. But I am sure dreaming about it!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Are you sure a couple of warm days won't make a big change? I hope it is sooner than you think! :-)

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

It is March 21. I have to say I went on a crocus tresure hunt yesterday. I went all over town and found one singular purple crocus that braved though the elements to welcome spring. The snow continues to recede but as I look out the window it is snowing quite heavily. Hopefully it will turn to rain. And hopefully we will get a few warm days. It would be nice to plant the peas at least by early April. I will just have to wait and see.

• engk916
    13 years ago

I planted my peas march 13, and noticed a few sugar snaps poking up through the soil. Last year we still had snow on the ground at this time, I consider this a lucky break!

• yan3_2001_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hello,

I plant my sugar snap pea around March 25, now the pea is about 5 ft high, but without single flower. Is that normal?

This is the first year I am planting pea, thanks for your reply.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I don't have flowers on mine yet, but I thought they got a late start. I think they should start flowering soon.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The first pea flowers are showing today! And finally warm sunny weather. It's been along cold spring.

Yan3, are your pea plants in full sun? Because growing 5 ft. high with no flowers yet, is unusual. Peas do better in full all day sunlight.

• mayalena
    12 years ago

I have my first flowers today too. Anybody remember how long from flower to edible pod?
    :)

• ravenh2001
    12 years ago

I just planted my peas may 30 th . squash going in today. not to cold but may 10th got the tractor so stuck it took a neighbors tractor and 100 foot of cable hooked to the disk harrow to get it out. We have planted as late as July in a bad year and as early as April in a good one. June first if I have not planted I change what seeds are going in (90 day corn to 65 day corn ect.) September 15th is our first killing frost date. One year I picked hail mary corn the 1st of november. ( a football expression not the name of the corn). After 45 years of gardens and grand parents telling me what to do I learned you can fight mother nature but It is hard and costly. It is better to work with her and change for her.

• yan3
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply. My pea is in full sun, the are in a little bit shade in the morning till 9am, after that, they have the full sun until 6pm.

I think I might plant the pea too close, i plant it 1 inch apart, I meant thin it but i felt hard to pull the young plant out. I am looking through the web today to see if I should put in some fertilizer, I did not put in any fertilizer.

Also, I noticed that today, there are bunch of strip cucumber beetles on my newly planted eggplant, I know I am in trouble, last year, they got all my pickling cucumbers. Any suggestion to get rid of them will be very much appreciated. I am going to take the bug to Agway to see if there are any suggestion. I sprayed Neem Seed Oil today, hope to get that under the control a little.