Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Where can I enjoy warm indoor greenery near Boston?

carol6ma_7ari
10 years ago

I'd love to take a break from winter by visiting local greenhouses and plant conservatories. Where are they? I already know of Logee's (bought my fig tree there), and in Wayland, Russell's Garden Center has a nice set of working greenhouses one can wander around in.

Where else?

Carol

Comments (6)

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Hi Carol,
    You mention Boston. I don't know if you just want to wander in the warmth, or actually are looking for a retail opportunity. If you want to stay in Boston, and don't want to buy, there is always the Isabella Stewart Gardener museum. If you want to come to Providence, the Roger Williams Park conservatory has a nice display. Another large retail outlet with a lot of room under glass is Briggs Nursery on Kelly Blvd. in N. Attleboro, but they can be a bit pricey.

Or you can do what I did in January and hop a plane to California!

{{gwi:5901}}

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just found out about Lyman's in Waltham, camellias now blooming! I want to wander around in the warmth, not buy anything. Bill, thanks for the tips. I wish I could go to CA this year but not possible. Lots of rain there anyway, but my son (In Berkeley) says everything is blooming.

Carol

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Carol,
    if you love camellias, you should plant some if you don't already have any. They are evergreen and there are spring and fall blooming types. The Massachusetts Camellia Society had their annual (185th?) show at Tower Hill in Worcester this past weekend. I couldn't make it, however I went to the website last week to get information. I was surprised that they are still telling gardeners that they aren't hardy here, but I sent an E-mail to the president, Sandra Kautz. She was very kind and most appreciative of my comments about updating the information, and she asked for some photos of my camellias here in my garden. She said the website will be updated soon, to include some information on the hardy camellias. I'm happy that more New England gardeners may soon learn more about having these amazing plants in their gardens thanks in part to my efforts.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your tour to the faux tropics!

{{gwi:5901}}

• dfaustclancy
    10 years ago

Hey Bill, I second your suggestion of Tower Hill. They have a wonderful Orangerie you can wander in and enjoy not only the warmth and the flowering plants, but hear the drip of several fountains and enjoy some actual humidity! Here is the web site: http://www.towerhillbg.org/.

Can we see some photos of your New England hardy camelias???

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Debra, here are some of my camellias. These were taken last spring and fall.

Bill

• dfaustclancy
    9 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Just seeing this post now from last year but somehow I think it will find it's way to you! Whenever I discover a new plant I want to grow, abracadabra, there is Zone 6 Bill telling me how it grows in his garden! LOL I appreciate your knowledgeable input!

My neice in NJ has an elderly 8' tall red blooming Camelia in her yard and I took a few cuttings this past June. They appear to have rooted, but we shall see... Am getting ready to put them in their permanent home, but being a full zone less than you am wondering if you have any tips where to put them. I have just finished Camelias, the Gardeners Encyclopedia by Jennifer Trehane, and her best advice is to shelter from winter sun getting on the frozen buds/leaves too early in the am. She recommends a north site, some shade and possible wind protection by fences/walls. She also says drainage is major and that you must avoid root rot. That April Kill of yours looks nice. May I ask where you purchased yours?