Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Witch hazel--latest ever

Posted by ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 10:11

My witch hazel, 'Arnold Promise', almost always blooms by about Feb. 22. It has been as early as Valentine's Day and once in very early March.

But it is now March 8 and it is still not in bloom. I have had this large shrub almost 25 years so I have a good long sample of bloom times.

We'll see what today's 'warm' temps in the 40s bring. How about others with this reliable shrub?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Witch hazel--latest ever

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 11:58

I haven't been watching my little 'Arnold Promise' which is now in a shady spot surrounded by black cherry seedlings and mature pines. This doesn't seem to bother it - I bushwhacked in this morning and it's blooming! Not a big show but I'll take anything right now. The witchhazel is quietly growing up and may break into sunnier air space this year (or next). It's about six feet tall and rangy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is maybe a week later than last year but I'm not sure because I don't know when it started blooming. I actually passed it several times a week or so ago but I was busy clearing up fallen branches and didn't think to look over there.

Claire

o

There are a few witch hazels, I *think* Arnold Promise, planted around some monument close to my house in Medford; I drove past yesterday hoping to see something in bloom with the weather so warm, but they were still closed up tight, which surprised me...sigh, I've about lost my mind at this point searching for some sign of spring...

o

I looked at mine a few days ago and saw nothing and you guys just prompted me to look again and look what I found! Spring is coming!

o

I thought with yesterday's comparative warmth that at least a few would open--but nothing. I am north of Boston and this shrub is on the south side of my house where I get earliest bloom. :(

o

I have been thinking about the 'Arnold Promise' the past week and finally went out this morning to check it. Nothing! No blooms unfurling whatsoever. Like you Ginny.

Usually it starts blooming in late Feb. So far it is looking like a late Spring. Those in the more mild coastal zone are further ahead.

o

It's open! It's spring! Yippee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here