Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More deer info than you may want--

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 10:31

I found a cool website, www.deer-departed.com, and it has a lot of information about "managing" deer populations, deer tick problems, and links to other resources. I got onto it because I'm trying to design a larger garden area and keep out the few deer we see in our yard and wetlands and yet retain our nice view, not have to look through a lot of fencing.

Within that website was a link to a map showing deer (whitetail) density everywhere in the US and one can zoom in and count the number of sightings. Wow, I hadn't realized how many deer there are in RI, and where. And in CT. And in MA. And....

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Density Map

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More deer info than you may want--

Thanks for the link, Carol. I love looking at how data is represented on a map. In this case, however, I had to chuckle at the NH section - on both our ME and VT borders, there is a huge long stretch that is in the 0-15 range in NH and the 15 to 30 just over the border. I imagine that this data comes from the states and they have different ways of counting deer populations.

o

Also I think that each state's wildlife/game management contributes to the numbers, but I suspect that the loss of open land probably has the greatest negative impact on deer numbers. I notice that the green band (less than 15 deer per square mile) that runs up the middle of my state corresponds with the Green Mtn Nat'l Forest, while the open farm land areas in the Champlain valley as well as the northeast kingdom and eastern VT have greater density of deer.

o

How is this data obtained? Could it just be obtained by homeowner reports? In places with fewer people deer may go unreported.

o

edlincoln - Densities were probably obtained from F&W agency data. The map is too general to be worth much. If you want density data from your area check with with your state F&W Dept. and ask for their deer mgmt. plan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here