Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peepers on the shore of ct!

Posted by sooey 7MA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 10:38

Oh My Goodness...I have it on the very best of authority, that the Spring Peepers are singing their little hearts out on the Shoreline of CT! Oh, how I miss that sweet sound. I have not heard them for myself here on Cape Cod, so I hope this still counts, but a very good friend of mine, who I trust with such notes of importance, assures me that it is true. Ahhhh...life is new again...

I will be out and about tonight, driving past several Peeper 'hot' spots... I will let you all know when I hear them here on the Cape. But for now...those sweet little cuties are awake and singing along the shoreline of CT.

YIPPIE-SKIPPIE!

sooey
who, at this time of year, misses her backyard and deck in Clinton, CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peepers on the shore of ct!

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 15:50

sooey: Was that last night, March 16 in Clinton, CT? I want to enter the 2010 dates in the FAQ.

Claire

o

Hi Claire...yes, confirmation of Peppers singing in Clinton, CT at 6:02 P.M. on Tuesday, March 16th, 2010. Happy, happy day!

I was out last night for a knitting class and took some extra time on my way home to drive around in search of that sweet, sweet sound here on the Lower/Outer Cape but, heard nothing. I will keep trying...

sooey

o

I was thinking that it is almost time for peepers as I drove by the wetland down the road this evening. It looks like it usually does right before they start up with most of the ice gone from the surface. If they start up in the next couple of weeks here, it will be much earlier than usual.

o

They are quite the singing chorus here in Danbury

o

I heard our first two tonight (3/19) in Northampton, MA.

o

Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 11:38

Entered in the First spring peeper reports FAQ.

Please keep the reports coming.

Thanks,
Claire

o

Heard them yesterday here in Shelton, CT!

:)
Dee

o

Ahhhhhaa...the Peepers are awake and singing on good ol' Cape Cod...so sweet. I went out in search on Wednesday night the 24th and found them singing in the old cranberry bog, just north of the parking lot for Skaket Beach in Orleans. I am now one happy Codder.

sooey
now it can be Spring.

o

Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 12:15

Great, sooey! Any predictions for the herring run in Brewster?

Claire

o

• Posted by sue36 Z5 Maine (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 20:50

I assume this is the annual peepers thread? I heard them tonight for the first time in Portsmouth, NH. Singing in the rain!

o

Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 21:15

Actually, there are two annual peepers threads going this year, either of them works.

It's good to know the poor things didn't drown in Portsmouth in all this rain. Although I guess tree frogs can handle a lot of water. Anyway, I added your report to the First spring peepers reports FAQ.

Thanks,
Claire

o

I heard both the peepers and the wood frogs for the first time Sunday evening, 3/28, in Canterbury, NH.

o

Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 11:50

Got it.

Thanks,
Claire

o

My husband said he thought he had heard a peeper the other night. Last night I put the windows down and drove slowly as I returned home. I think we have at least 3 peepers right now, I bet a lot will come out this weekend in Webster NH.

o

Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 17:04

NH seems to be alive with the sound of peepers, any hearings in VT or ME?

Claire

o

• Posted by sue36 Z5 Maine (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 12:35

Eliot, ME on 4/2. Thanks.

o

Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 13:02

A friend of mine (lynn) in Brunswick, ME Zone 5a says that neighbors have been hearing peepers although she hasn't heard them herself. Her hearsay report was on April 4, so I figure the night of April 3, maybe earlier.

Vermont is yet to be heard from.

Claire

o

We've been hearing the peepers here in Vermont. I should have noted the day. I think it was less than a week ago possibly around the 1st or 2nd of April.

o

Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 16:19

OK, all six New England states have checked in (that doesn't mean that we can't have more reports - some of these states stretch way up to the north and others have really cold pockets).

First spring peeper reports to date

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here