Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water the lawn and emerging flowers?

Posted by prateek 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 10:41

Well, this weather has got me totally confused. I am worried that the emerging grass and early flowers will now dry out completely and die. Boston metro is going through 70 degree days and with no rain for the past week.

Should I connect up the water hose and sprinkler system? Or would that only encourage premature growth??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water the lawn and emerging flowers?

We have been so dry that I really had no choice but to use the sprinkler already in certain beds. I'm not concerned about the lawn. We've had our hoses connected for a couple of weeks and everything has been growing unseasonably early regardless, so if the garden needs water and is growing, for me, I am trying to give them what they missed so they can grow well. With this warm weather and 87 degrees forecast for tomorrow, I think the garden has enough challenges without doing without enough water too. Just my own thinking on the matter.

Our daffodils are opening earlier then usual and I think the spring display could be over with before the usual time it starts. So I am trying to quickly get the garden cleaned up and ready and enjoy it.

o
RE: water the lawn and emerging flowers?

We've had an unusually dry and warm winter. I hope we'll have more regular rainfall this Spring and summer.

So far, the only plants I'm really worried about are the ones that were planted or transplanted this Spring, and those that were planted or transplanted during the latter part of last year. I will baby perennials and woody plants for a year and sometimes more (for large woody plants) and water them during a dry spell.

I rarely water turf grass, although a new lawn or young grasses may be some watering to get better-established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here