Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Garden Party and Swap

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

Would you be interested in coming to a Garden Party and Plant Swap in late spring, on a Saturday in June?

There are new people on the forum and familiar faces I haven't seen in a long time.Unless someone else was was planning on hosting one, I'd like to offer my place in Lexington as a site.

"Garden Party" is not usually part of a Plant Swap, I know. However,this winter brought snowstorm after snowstorm,and foot upon foot of it. I am really in the mood for a Party!

So "party" invites you to wear flowered shirts,skirts,dresses,hats and boutoniers with your jeans and sneakers. "Party" also means fun! Put names and faces together,enjoy conversation and learning and, of course, get new plants.

And "Swap" invites you to start dividing,digging,seeding and thinning your plants to share with others.

One thing I'd like to add this year is an informal workshop or two.I was thinking one on beekeeping (I know someone and keep bees myself)and perhaps container gardening principles.

Also, a swap is a great place to off-load old gardening books and magazines, unused gardening supplies and tools.I've got books from a swap 5 years ago that it is time to pass on.

One thing so I don't look like a host who dumps her responsibilites:I will ask someone else to coordinate refreshments, Experience taught me the host gets very busy cleaning up and doing her own weeding to handle refreshments as well.

I'll post more about the mechanics of a swap later.

Finally,YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE PLANTS TO OFFER!Come with empty hands, leave with a full car.People with older gardens love to give away their extras instead of composting them. New gardeners and people with new gardens are especially welcome.

Looking forward to this being a lively post.

Marie aka Idabean

Comments (18)

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Great idea, Marie! I'll be there, with a carload of plants to unload, if I can possibly make it. Right now, there's nothing planned that could prevent me from coming; I'll just keep my fingers crossed that nothing pops up at work.

Can't wait to see what you've done to your garden - it was, as everyone knows, already beautiful when we were there for your last swap.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh yes! I'm so glad you'll make the trip, Nan

marie

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    13 years ago

I would come too!

• scpearson
    13 years ago

I'm in! I can already think of some garden items (books, hanging baskets, pots, etc.) that I would love to go to a good home.
    Also, I would love to meet some of the people who kept us all sane this winter with their postings and photos here on GW.
    Marie, you are a generous soul for the offer to host.
    Susan

• tulipsmiles
    13 years ago

I would love to visit and meet you all! I too have books, mags and all kinds of extra plants to share.
    Thanks Idabean for opening your home to us. This sounds like a wonderful time!
    Tulipsmiles

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A pleasure. I've enjoyed it twice before. I don't mind busting my back prettying up the garden as long as others will organize the refreshments.

I can't wait. And I forgot to say Welcome Back, Whitegardens!
    Looking forward to meeting you Tulipsmiles and Susan. Where do each of you live?

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    13 years ago

Count me in! I can bring a friend or two, the remaining carload of plants as well as anything else that would be needed.

Thanks for the party idea - this will be so much fun!!!
    Linda

• hunt4carl
    13 years ago

This might seem odd, but I've been hoping to expand my plant swap activities this year - been doing them for years here in NJ/NY, and the last couple of years with some CT folks on GW - but "coming home" to a swap in my birthplace (Massachusetts) actually makes sense to me. Since I share the same 6b zone with many of you, any plants I bring should adapt without problem. Besides, after years of so many "veiled references" to your garden, Marie, I'm really curious - I've been "collecting" gardens all over the country for years, ever since the Garden Conservancy introduced their Open Days program. . .

Carl

• terrene
    13 years ago

I would love to come too! Great idea for a party Idabean, that's nice you're offering to host and I'd love to see your garden again.

Unfortunately I've got shoulder issues this year from shoveling snow and I'm making slow progress. Ugh!! Not sure how much swapping I'll be able to do, but I wouldn't miss the party!

• lschibley
    13 years ago

I would love to make it! Of course it all depends on the kids' schedule, but if it falls on a free Saturday, count me in. I should have plenty of stuff to bring, though looking at how slow things are to peek out, it might not be a bountiful year. I'm still dreading seeing how much I lost during this cold winter.

Thank you so much for hosting Marie!

Lisa

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I would like to respond to everyone now, but have no strength....I switched email providers today and it took me about 3 hours on the telephone with my new carrier and Dell to get it going again. OMG. That is what my particular vision of hell is.

So more later, and I say yes to everything offered and "Welcome" with no conditions to anyone who wants to come.

However,I want to thank specifically the person who wrote about a beekeeping friend.I would be just delighted to have him.We need to pick a date soon, in that case. I need to change my email address on "my info" on GW, so don't use my verizon address. it is dead.(I wish them dead, too)

I'll keep reading the posts, even if I don't answer specifics until the weekend. I have a huge hunk of writing to do between now and Friday.
    Thanks, all
    Marie

• scpearson
    13 years ago

Hello Marie,
    I've been there...something that seems so simple sometimes takes days to iron out. I feel your frustration, and recently went through a similar bank/computer issue that took three days to rectify. Given that I thought I could do it in one simple phone call and it went on for days with faxes, notarized bank letters, and more phone calls....also there was a deadline I was trying to meet. I felt like I had my shoulder to a brick wall!
    I'm sure it would be interesting to have a beekeeper there at your party/swap. Went to a talk at the Worcester Flower show a few weeks ago given by the sponsoring beekeepers. Very interesting stuff, especially now when the bees have been disappearing in colony collapse over the past couple of years. Scientists from all over the world are working on identifying the cause. Even the poor bees are experiencing a crisis in our world.
    I am in the NE corner of CT, but am really a Massachusetts "girl" in my heart.
    Susan

• wispfox
    13 years ago

OOoooh. Clearly I need to have been following more forums on here!

I'd be very interested in coming! I'm in Waltham, and in a new house. :)

Yay, getting to know local gardeners!!!

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump!

• roxanna
    13 years ago

had thought i'd be able to attend your swap last(?)year, but couldn't. would love to try for this year! i'm planning to re-do some beds so will have stuff to off-load (new gardeners, alert). only time that is bad for me is the last weekend in June (nephew's wedding)... hope to join you!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Hi Marie, Have you thought of a date yet? I'd love to come but will be away a couple weekends in June so it would depend on the date. Thanks for hosting! Sounds like it would be a great time.

• mayalena
    13 years ago

I would love to join you too. I am especially eager to catch up with the progress you've been making in your garden, Marie! I have some yellow daylilies with great, clean foliage for the whole season. They're some generic cultivar, but perform beautifully in my garden -- in a full-sun area that I never water! I'll see what else I can dig up (pun intended...).
    Best,
    Carolyn

• sinbadsmom
    13 years ago

Hi Marie, I'm the one with the beekeeper friend and he is willing to come so long as he is in the area when you have the party, any idea on a date yet? Kathie