Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Time to bring Agapanthus pots into full window sun?

carol6ma_7ari
15 years ago

It's always a guess, when to drag my 2 big pots of Agapanthus into the area of full sunlight inside my sliding door facing south. They've been happy the past 2-3 months staying away from the full sun, getting watered rarely, but developing more strappy leaves. If I want them to bloom outdoors in May, is it the right time to give them more sunlight and water?

Comments (14)

• ericofwebster
    15 years ago

I tried overwintering my Agapanthus in the house for two years but it always looked such a mess. Then I inadvertently burnt all the new late winter growth when I moved it outside by giving it too much sun at once. That meant the poor plant had to start over and the blooms were few and far between. I then tried storing it in an unheated area under the porch (a little more protected than the detached garage). It died back completely over the winter, but in a location at least a zone warmer than my Zone 5 garden. In early April I set it back outside and let it come back to life with the rest of the garden. The blooms were spectacular(!) and I didn't have to fuss with it over the winter. I've done the same thing this year and am anxious to move it back outside next month. Here is a photo from last year...

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! OK, inside in a room with a 50 degree temperature and dim light. Then in April, out. Thanks.

• runktrun
    15 years ago

Yippeee
    I just removed my Agapanthus 'Midnight Blue' from the stairs in my bulkhead and cut back last years growth only to find lots of new growth sprouting up!!! With such minimum winter care (watered once) I think I will pick up a few more this year. Any suggestions regarding variety?

• ericofwebster
    15 years ago

kt, congratulations on successfully overwintering your agapanthus! Likewise, I brought mine out of its sheltered location last weekend and it looks to be in great shape (also only watered once over the winter). I know I said I wait until April, but the forecast showed no serious temperature plunges so I moved ahead a couple of weeks early this year. I, too, would like to get some different varieties this year, but I'm not sure I even know of a good source for agapanthus in MA, do you? I got the ones pictured above as an impulse buy from the grocery store, of all places, as bareroot plants. I did start seeds from last year's flowers and many of them have come up, but I have no idea how long they'll take to mature. Has anyone else raised them from seed?

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

I know I could pot them, but there just isn't any more room for potted plants, even dormant ones. And I don't have the energy to cart any more plants in and out every season. I have the brugmansia, bougainvillea, gingers, banana, Meyer lemon, calliandra, plumbago, orchids and cacti. I wanted these agapanthus because they were soooooooooooooooo advertised as hardy in zone 6!!! But the nurseries (yes plural!!!) all failed to mention that they might grow here but probably never flower. Anyway, thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. They will now become compost!

• pdshop
    13 years ago

I am so happy that I found you guys. I have had my Agapanthus for 5 years. Bought them in full bloom and than did the winter thing of no water in a dark place. NOTHING!!! I divided a big pot of them yesterday. I have alot of leaves but not a bud in sight. It is so frustrating. I bought another one at Russells in Wayland. They had dark blue and light blue and a white. It was 3 weeks ago so I would call them first to see if they have any left.

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

Once again the Agapanthus disappoint me. Leaves and no flowers. They cost a lot when I bought them 10 years ago because they were MATURE with buds on them, but those first year flowers are the only ones I've ever seen! Last year was the first year I didn't bother to give them any kind of protection (although I only gave minimum when I did) and they survived just fine. Lush leaves like all the other years. I was hoping they wouldn't survive the winter, so I wouldn't have to be reminded of the mistake I made buying them! But once again, they survive! Maybe next winter will finally kill them! The only plants I hate more are hostas!

• pdshop
    13 years ago

I have repotted all my agapanthus for the last time. They all went through the winter unwatered in a cool room. They didn't loose their leaves. Should I cut the dropping leaves off or leave them? This winter I will put them in the bulkhead and try it that way.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This year the agapanthus decided to re-enact Raising the Flag at Iwo Jima: one very long stalk like a flagpole with one flower cluster on the end of it. Other than that, they (2 pots) are just leaf blades. I did better in past years. I think this time I left them in the dark too long. Or not long enough. Or watered them too much. Or too little. Or...

Carol

• ericofwebster
    13 years ago

My pot has sent up a couple dozen flower stalks this year! Will take a photo when they pop in a couple of weeks or so.

• runktrun
    13 years ago

Last fall I stored my four Agapanthus planters on my bulk head steps and did not water them at all through out the winter. In early April I put them in my cold frame and started watering but did not fertilize. I am happy to report that three out of four planters are loaded with more blossoms than ever before!!! The fourth is stuggling along and seems to have lost half of its plant base?
    Eric I happen to notice that Plant Delights is having a sale that include a couple different Agapanthus including a pretty white one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights Summer Sale

• pdshop
    13 years ago

How can you tell an evergreen Agapanthus? I have about 5 and they all have different size leaves. I am trying so hard to get bloom. should I cut all the leaves off in the fall? Last year I left the leaves and they remained green? I had them in about 50 degree temp. This year I will do colder but don't know what to do about the leaves. Pat

• runktrun
    13 years ago

Pat,
    I know very little about growing Agapanthus in New England but I think you are on the right track about allowing it to go dormant by giving your plant cooler temps. Do you have an area at your house perhaps a bulkhead, garage, under a porch, that might be similar to a root cellar?
    I leave mine outdoors until sometime in October after I have a a light frost the tender annuals have been hit and most perennials are receeding. I then put mine on the steps inside my bulkhead right up against the basement door. My leaves die all the way back during the winter.

I will also say that the Agapanthus that I transplanted into a larger pot is has fewer blooms than those that are still crowded in their planter.

• pdshop
    13 years ago

Well it seems like we all have the same problems. The leaves on my Agapanthus never died last winter. I couldn't understand how they could still be green when they have no water and are in a dark room. I have nice growth on all the pots now. There won't be flowers but I am going to hit the bulkhead this winter and if nothing happens, well we will see.