Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Do we dare discuss a CT spring swap?

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

I know there is still snow on the ground but it's almost mid-March so maybe we should start talking. I don't even remember what month we had the spring swap last year.

Comments (122)

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee, I was told when I was young that I was allergic to golden rod and ragweed so I stay away. I'll pass on the viburnum too, I think flowers are ok for her for now. Thanks.

• molie
    10 years ago

Dee: I'd love some foxglove. Mine were awash in salt water after the hurricane and are goners.

If you have any of the dwarf purple iris, I'd like that too!

Here's what I've potted up so far:

1 (small) Panicum virgatum/Shenandoah Switch Grass
    2 (small) Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln'/Dwarf Fountain Grass
    4 (baby) Cornus alba 'Bailhalo'/Ivory Halo red twig dogwoods
    2 Gallium odoratum/Sweet Woodruff
    2 (small) Dianthus 'Heart Attack'
    1 larger Dianthus 'Heart Attack'
    6 (small) Hellebores Pine Knot

I can also put up .. if anyone wants them:

1 Euonymus (fortunei ??)⦠the yellow and green one
    Oneothera 'Siskyou'
    Japanese Anemone (dark pink)

I also need to get going and pot up some of what I mentioned earlier, but I won't pot up my mom's raggy hosta plants. They look awful once the leaves fill out and are bug magnets. I think I'll just pull some up and mulch them.

Molie

• siennact
    10 years ago

Molie,

I would love Dianthus 'Heart Attack', Hellebores Pine Knot, and Oneothera if possible.

I haven't started digging yet because I'm sure I will kill everything considering how dry it has been.I think I killed some iris by dividing it last week and forgetting to water it. I'm also low on pots so I need to get some paper cups and raid the recycling bin.

Dee, I got a Blueberry Muffin at a swap years ago, thinking it would be fine with me because I have several viburnum and my neighbors have some. It had an occasional good year but mostly just looked blah and chewed up. It also got huge. It required heavy pruning to keep it at 5-6'. So last year I had my husband cut it down. He left a tall stump so that I could use it to sort of rock the root ball out once it died. It's growing back from the stump. Crazy shrub.

What else do people need? I have so much that i don't know where to start.

tina

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Tina (siennact) you are dead on - "mostly looked blah and chewed up", lol! Of course, I shouldn't be agreeing with you if I want someone to take it, lol, but sometimes things work in other gardens when they don't work in yours. I was told this variety doesn't need a pollinator, but maybe that was wrong. Mine isn't *huge* - it's large(about 6 or 7 feet tall) and has grown quite quickly, but is fairly narrow and has an open form, and if it would only berry up for me I'd be happy with it. Oh well.

I will see how many irises I have already potted up. I will have MANY more in the fall, unless someone can tell me whether it is okay to dig them now. I've always heard late summer/early fall to dig irises, but who knows? I don't think it would kill them to dig them, but they will be in bloom so maybe it's better to wait.

I can also probably bring some shasta daisies (Becky?) which I originally got at one of our swaps.

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Just to say that it took several (about six?) years for my Viburnum 'Blue Muffin' to produce a few (and I mean a few) berries ... and they are not exactly luxuriant now, but it does produce. I was told that it did need a pollinator, but that if I lived anywhere near a woods, it would be fine because it could be pollinated by ANY viburnum (which could be "a mile away") and New England woods are awash in them. I don't know if that's right or not. It gets tall and leggy where it is, but it finally did produce berries. I cut it back a lot each year, otherwise it would be to the rooftop!

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

Mollie, I'd love one of your hellebores and Bebe I'll bring the miscanthus morning light.

So far, I have
    salvia pratensis
    veronica spicata 'blue charm'
    iris tectorum (Japanese roof iris)
    perennial sunflower
    chocolate eupatorium
    lysimachia ciliata 'firecracker'
    various daylilies
    and the small shrubs I listed before

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Not sure what I'll have yet but I know I will have Geranium Rozanne, a hydrangea of unknown origin (I think it may be a Blue BIllow? I potted it without marking it -- dumb -- and it's small but leafing out beautifully), Stella D'Oro daylilies, assorted mixed daylilies (no color guarantees), my usual campanula 'Cherry Bells' (proceed with caution!), coreopsis 'Zagreb' and more. May not have a time for full inventory until next weekend...

Does anyone have a spare false indigo? I had a lovely one from Carl a few years back but it has vanished this spring. Poof. Gone! I think it would be up by now? Not a sign of it and it was huge last year... Do voles eat those? Ditto one of my butterfly bushes ('Dark Knight') -- dead as a doornail (what's a doornail?) Any baby b-fly bushes out there?

/ Marty who is bringing coconut-rum tres leches cake.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Marty I'd love the hydrangea if no one else wants it. I'm on a hydrangea kick now! But considering it will most likely live in a pot for a year or two (at least!) if someone else wants it let them take it.

BTW, I had also heard (in addition to not needing a pollinator) that the Blue Muffins could be pollinated by any viburnum in the area. It must be getting some pollination somehow, but not nearly enough. If no one wants it, I may just move it further back into the woods and let it fend for itself.

Dee

• siennact
    10 years ago

My false indigo (baptisia) is just waking up. I thought it was dead and I was so glad to see it! So maybe there is still hope, Marty!

tina

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

All yours, Dee. If it's Blue Billow (and I think it must be), I could dig a second, smaller one if someone wants it. The Blue Billows seem to be multiplying on me... as long as you promise NOT to sue me if it ISN'T a Blue Billow. Only a couple of others it could be, and I know it's not Little Lamb or Limelight...leaves sure look like the BBs

• molie
    10 years ago

Hedy, I've marked a Hellebores Pine Knot for you. I'd love to try an iris tectorum (Japanese roof iris) in my one shady area!

Tina, since you're the first to ask for Dianthus 'Heart Attack', you get the largest one. :)

Marty, I'm feeling brave --- I'll take a Campanula 'Cherry Bells'.

Molie

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee, I'll take some Shasta daisies for my neighbor. Thanks

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Thanks Marty, and don't worry - I'l be happy with whatever it turns out to be!

:)
    Dee

• molie
    10 years ago

Tina, I'll also save a Hellebore and Oneothera for you!

Molie

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

Does anyone want

lily of the valley
    creeping juniper shrubs
    ribbon grass

Hedy

• wildbill
    10 years ago

Hi everyone.

Really hope Dena and I can come this year, and we've dug things - but it may be too busy with her schedule. Gonna be a wait and see.

The twins are now 18 months and we'd love for you to meet the lil' gardeners.

Bill

• seb99 z 6a
    10 years ago

For those who need pots all is required is a visit to a cemetary late in day on Mothers Day (or very early the Monday following).

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone have that reddish purple fern that I got from someone a few years ago?

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

Does anyone want lily of the valley, gold honeysuckle or nandina 'firepower' seedlings?

I've been potting up plants but if there isn't much interest, I won't dig as much.

Hedy

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Hedy, I would like the gold honeysuckle please. Will it do well in a pot?

Richie, I got a Japanese fern from George's house last fall. When I got it last year, it had one leaf. It has about three right now but I'm thinking it's still too little to divide. I think it will be fine to divide during the fall.

-Tina

• hunt4carl
    10 years ago

Richie -

Do you mean Japanese painted fern? If so, I could
    divide a few of mine and bring you one (or two). . .

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese painted fern

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I've also got some cimicufuga racemosa babies if anyone would like them.

Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carl, that's it.

• siennact
    10 years ago

Hedy, I will try a nandina 'firepower' if it's not too much trouble.

I have something that looks like a giant buttercup and makes a hairy seedpod, blooming now. I can't remember the name but I have extras. I want to say it's a native wildflower. I'll upload a pic if I have time. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also, my viburnum 'Cardinal Candy' has seedlings but I don't know if they will grow into the same exact type of viburnum. Tiny mystery viburnum up for grabs along with mystery giant buttercups.

• hunt4carl
    10 years ago

Siennact: Your "mystery" buttercups are probably
    Stylophorum diphyllum (Celandine Poppy). . .you're
    right, it is a native American plant, and I have dozens
    of them sprinkled throughout my wooded area. If they
    are particularly happy in their site, they will continue to
    produce sporadic flowers over the summer; if not so
    happy, they'll be dormant by midsummer, having produced many seedlings before they go. Absolutely reliable and carefree, and one of my great favorites -
    which is why I'll be bringing a bunch to share again this
    year!

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Stylophorum diphyllum

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Hedy, is the nandina going to be hardy up here in Litchfield County? I'd love to try one but wasn't sure about the zone... 'Firepower' looks stunning so I'd love to try one of your seedlings if you think it'll make it. Also would love to try the salvia pratensis and restock on chocolate eupatorium (I had a lovely, big patch but it has dwindled each year and is down to just a wee patch -- what happened??)

I've got several hydrangeas (one with Dee's name on it already). I THINK one is a Limelight, and another is probably QuickFire? (I MEANT to mark them when I potted them....:)

Also have:

hostas (plain green)
    Christmas fern
    Hay-scented fern (take at your own risk!)
    Chives
    Garlic chives
    Stella D'Oro lilies (PLEASE take some!)
    John Creech sedum (groundcover)
    Daylilies (not sure which ones)
    Siberian iris (unknown color - someone gave them to me)
    Campanula 'Cherry Bells'
    Obedient plant (pink)
    Tovara (Painter's Palette)
    Pulmonaria
    Small bleeding heart babies
    Coreopsis 'Zagreb'
    the ever-multiplying Egyptian walking onions

I have a white bleeding heart set aside for Emma and lots of smaller ones (probably pink) I can bring if anyone wants them.

Would love one of the hellebores if there are enough to go around.

Marty

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Potted up my usual stuff yesterday. Don't want to say what I have yet until I know that they will live. I might know better when I get home from work this afternoon. I'll be making peanut butter chip and chocolate chip cookies. I can say I have one zebra grass, some holly seedlings that made it through the winter. The kousa dogwood seedlings are growing so if you want some please help yourself. I do have one left from last year that is doing well, about 6" now.

• hunt4carl
    10 years ago

Marty:

O.K. I'll bite. . .bring on the Stella d'Oro !! Whatever I
    don't use, I have friends here who can.

Definitely could use some more of the Coreopsis 'Zagreb',
    whatever you can spare.; could also use the Pulmonaria,
    but now I'm getting "piggy" and other people should get a crack at your bounty!

Carl

• molie
    10 years ago

Marty, I've marked a Hellebore for you. And for anyone else that wants one don't be shy! Just ask. I've potted up 6 but can always do more. Mine have grown huge, about the size of a chrysanthemum, and they're very prolific. Though I trim off old flowers as often as possible, many fall on the ground and reseed.

I've potted up several Oneothera 'Siskyou' and can always do more --- this plant spreads like the plague but is beautiful in bloom. Here's a photo to entice some of you who may be hesitant. If placed in a sunny spot, the blossoms just sparkle. I shaded the flower before taking the picture, so its bloom is less luminous.

Molie

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marty, I'll take some of your Stella D'Oro lilies for my neighbors garden. Thanks

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Oh Molie... that is beautiful! I only know the yellow form of oneothera. Okay ... sold! Just put it somewhere I don't mind having it "naturalize" right? ;)

Will bring the Zagreb, Stella D'Oros and Pulmonaria for Carl (plenty of all three). (I don't know the pulmonaria cultivar ... someone gave it to me and they didn't know, but it's going gangbusters. It looks like a fairly common variety, early blooming.

Campanula 'Cherry Bells' for Molie

Hydrangea(s?) for Dee

Who am I missing??

Has anyone called the park to let them know we'd like to meet there? No permit required pre-Memorial Day (at least not in the past) but I think they want to know....

• molie
    10 years ago

Well, Marty, I guess "naturalized" is a polite way of saying "going nuts" --- right? I'll set one aside for you. It does spread along the ground and then sends up flower stalks about 6-8 inches high. I've planted it in many places --- sun, partial sun, even down at the town beach.

Did I ask for a Pulmonaria? If not and if you have any, I'd love one for the north side of the house.

Okay, now I have to get really serious about the plant swap and start looking at some recipes :) I'm guessing any kind of hand food is good.

Molie

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

"Will naturalize" = "vigorous spreader" = "garden thug" = "invasive" ⦠all of which can be said of some wonderful plants, it's just good to know it so you know to keep an eye on them to make sure they behave. The petasite someone in the swap gave me several years ago (so I could have some "big" leaves for concrete castings) went and "naturalized" itself into the lawn this year for the first time. I guess it got fed up being banned from the vegetable garden each spring, so it opted to branch out in another direction. What a sight -- a veritable forest of petasite leaves in the lawn! I just finished pulling them (think "tug of war" with me on one end and the petasite on the other) yesterday. They have NEVER done that before!! BUT ... I need them. They make the most wonderful bird bath stone castings!

Richie, will put you down for Stella D'Oros. And Molie for a pulmonaria.

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

I agree Marty. Often 'vigorous spreaders' are put in the wrong place. I have a carpet of lily of the valley under shrubs. They are a great groundcover in a heavily shaded and very rooty area where almost nothing else grows; but I wouldn't put them in a tidy garden.

That being said, does anyone want petasites? I also have elecampane (inula orientalis). Tall, yellow daisies- doesn't spread.

Hedy

• siennact
    10 years ago

Yes, that's it, Carl. If you're bringing some already, I'll leave those at the bottom of my to-dig list. Although I should bring some to my coworker now that I think of it.

Forget the petasites Hedy, I want a birdbath! LOL Seriously though, have you posted pics of them?

I have gooseneck loosetrife which was the absolute worst thing I have ever planted. Every year I work on digging it out and it never goes away.

Anyone need vinca/periwinkle or wintercreeper vines?

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

So.... I am guessing Hedy is the one from whom I got the petasite, yes??

So here it is... cast in stone. Those are leaves from the petasite that we cast last summer (a mature one and a younger one). Rhubarb leaves work really well, too, but the petasites get larger (that's a yardstick next to it).

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Siennact, I pulled out some vinca this past sunday and will bring it.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Casey, if you still have the veronica spicata 'blue charm'
    , I'll take some. thanks

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Casey, if you still have the veronica spicata 'blue charm'
    , I'll take some. thanks

• siennact
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, Marty, you're the birdbath artist! I love them! You weren't kidding, that is a huge leaf!

Richie, I have enough vinca for all of us, But I'm sure someone else will want it. I'll try to focus on the other vines since you've already dug the vinca.

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Hi, Everyone

Here's what I have:
    - 6 strawberry plants
    - vinca (If no takers, I will not pot them since Richie is bringing some)
    - green and white euonymous (If no takers, I will not pot them since Tina/siennact also has them.)
    - regular green hosta

Marty, do you still want a butterfly bush? I can dig up the purple one that came with the house. It was huge (~10ft) and full until it was enthusiastically 'pruned' to the ground. It's still alive but has to start all over. I'm thinking you will give it a better loving home. :-) Let me know. Otherwise, I'll leave it where it is.

Dee, I noticed from an earlier post that you have a Leptodermis oblonga. Is it still available?

Also, does anyone have shade lovers that they would like to share? I already have a bunch of hosta. I was thinking white bleeding heart since I just got a couple of pink ones from a relative. Pulmonaria? Jack frost brunnera?

Thanks,
    Tina

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Lastly, I have Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'.

I read that this is invasive in warmer climates and ideal conditions.

It has not gone crazy on me. In fact, I mail ordered it three years ago and it increased from one leaf to maybe a dozen. But, I will rip it out anyway.

If anyone wants it, I will pot it.

-Tina

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Hedy -- is the elecampane (inula orientalis) the same thing as inula helenium? I think I got a pot of that from you last year, which I promptly planted at the butterfly garden at Flanders. I just heard an herb person speaking about inula today, and am thinking I want one for ME this time, so would love it if you have some.

Tina - I would love the butterfly bush. I was so sad to lose my Dark Knight this year. No idea what happened. Just suddenly dead! I think one cannot have too many butterfly bushes! ;)

I have alpine strawberries (the really little, intensely flavored ones) if anyone wants those. Unlimited quantities. :) Also a ton of monarda Jacob Cline (I think ... ), garlic chives, obedient plant, tovara.. in the fall, I will have astilbes (they are new this spring and I don't know the colors until they bloom as they were a gift (all 27 of them!) from a friend.

Everything is looking SOOOO good right now! Amazing what a little rain will do!

• molie
    10 years ago

Tina, would you like Alchemilla molls (Lady's Mantle)? Mine set out a new baby that I've potted up. It's tiny but worth the wait. This is a great plant in the shade.

Molie

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Marty, someone gave you 27 astilbes??!

Tina, I do indeed still have an unclaimed leptodermis - and luckily, it finally started to leaf out. I was beginning to think I had potted up a dead shrub! I'll put your name on it.

Does anyone have any Jerusalem artichoke? Not sure if this has to be dug at a certain time of year, although this is to be planted not eaten. I have a friend who was asking if I knew where to get any, so thought I'd ask here.

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Dee -- did you get any takers for your Claridge Druce geranium? (If not, you have one now!) If it's taken, that's okay... if not, I would like to give it a try... thanks!

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Molie,

The Alchemilla molls have pretty yellow flowers.

I'll try it.

Thanks,
    Tina

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Marty, the Claridge Druce is yours!

Dee

• molie
    10 years ago

Okay, Tina, I'll mark it for you. This one is very, very tiny-- one leaf only-- and will have to be "nurtured" underneath another plant for a bit before planting. The mother plant is very healthy, about two feet around, so hopefully the baby will take after its mother.

Molie

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

I've dug all the plants that were requested. Yes, Marty it's the same inula and I'll bring a couple. Any more takers for the nandina or the salvia pratensis (blooming now).

I'm also bringing golden groundsel (senecio aurea)
    wood spurge (euphorbia robbiae)

We need a part 2 of this thread so it's easier to read.

Hedy