Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good price at Mahoneys on helleborus

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 11:43

"pink frost" They are 12.50 a pot, compared to Plant Delights $18 + sh

Still in good shape, though I haven't chked roots.
I have them in planters by front door and forgot to take them in last night; they look fine.

They hardly look pink in the store, but the pink is more pronounced now. It must be the colder temps outside. Coloring is subtle, nevertheless.

Let me know what you think if you go to look.
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good price at Mahoneys on helleborus

Hi Marie -

Pink Frost looks like a winner - really pretty in the photos on line.

I bought a few dozen unnamed seedlings from somewhere (or somewheres, actually; I put in 2 orders in a fit of absentmindedness) for about $3.50 each, a couple of years ago. Some of them are stunning, some just so-so. There were a lot of deep reds in the mix, and those are my favorites. They also self-sow with abandon - I've just given away 3 trays of seedlings.

This is another option for those who don't mind a planting of mixed colors, of course; I sometimes look at the areas where I planted these seedlings and wish they were all the same. (More hodgepodge in a garden full of that!)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has purchased any of the frilly-petaled varieties that were on the market a couple of years ago. Heronswood had them, for something like $39 per plant, at the last big NE Garden Show. What I'm curious about is how the flowers hold up; hellebores bloom in pretty tough conditions during late winter, and I suspect that these frilly ones look a lot better fresh from the greenhouse than in the garden.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with them.

o
RE: good price at Mahoneys on helleborus

Salivating over trays of free hellebores.Will write off line later!
Cheers to your spring garden!
Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here