Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant gardenia bush in ground?

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 12:10

OK, here I am, back from Logee's and looking at my baby gardenia bush "Frostproof". I'm certainly keeping it indoors, in south window, but I need to know your advice on when to plant it outside. Is there a soil temperature I should aim at? Or just April 15, or May 15, or when?

And what other advice do you have? How often to water the little 4" pot while indoors? Temperamental (the plant, and maybe me too) - Whether it should be in full sun now, or filtered shade? I found this info about bud drop online:

"Common causes include low humidity, over-watering, under-watering, insufficient light, high temperatures, rapid temperature fluctuations, cold drafts or change in plant locations."

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant gardenia bush in ground?

Carol, for certain you don't want to let it dry out, so having a tiny pot in a sunny window will require careful monitoring and because of this I don't think overwatering would be an issue. I can't say that I'd be comfortable with placing a such a small plant directly in the garden but when you do, it will need a lot of attention while it gets established. A small plant won't be able to survive a hot, dry spell for long, or an insect attack for example. But as with all plants that have been in a greenhouse, if it's not actively growing now, you could probably put it out now and let it start to get going. On the other hand, it it's putting out new growth already, then you should probably wait until it's warmer outdoors. But I would suggest placing the pot outside in SHADE for a few hours each day when it's above say 40. That will start to acclimatize it to the outdoors. Good luck with it!

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here