Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fargesia rufa 'Green Panda' , Clumping Bamboo

Posted by corunum CT 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 12:13

I have searched the net and GW's Bamboo Forum for this cultivar, but it seems that most growers of it are located outside of New England. Dave's has 3 'Positive" votes for it, but again, outside NE. WFF, Broken Arrow, and Chestnut Hill nurseries in Connecticut list it and similar clumping cultivars, so it must be around in private gardens somewhere. The only time I have seen any bamboo close to home was at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. I need to fill in spaces in a border relatively near, but diagonal to pines where the neighbor cleaned his side of the border(as in dozed and scraped the land) of all native material that I thought was wonderful. Bare doesn't work for me. Does anyone in NE have any experience with this clumping bamboo in zone 5b or 6?

Thanks for any info.

Kindly,
Jane
P.S. Yes, there is adequate room without disturbing pine tree roots. This cultivar purportedly grows 8-10'tall x 8' wide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fargesia rufa 'Green Panda' , Clumping Bamboo

Bamboo was hot about five years ago. It hadn't occurred to me that I haven't seen much of it lately. There was so much Green Panda around that it was only a matter of time before I found some on sale. Buying it full price was never an option since bamboo is usually way over what I think is same to pay for a plant that isn't a tree.

Photobucket

It's 5 or 6 ft tall, and a bit wider. I don't remember whether it started as a 2 or 3 gal, but it was less than two feet tall. Growth was relatively slow. It took maybe 5 years to get to its current height. The taller, coarser leaved bamboo on the left is Yellow Groove.

o

Perfect answer and picture, thanks very much, m_g. I could be quite happy with a plant that size that stays mostly green most of the year. Think I remember reading that this plant stays green unless the temp dips below 5 degrees, but its dropped leaves create its own mulch and the plant rejuvenates come spring and as seen in your plant, the bottom is still full. Works for me, I will try one. TY

o

I have a Fargesia rufa, but it's not 'Green Panda' or at least wasn't labeled as such. It's 4 or 5 years old and needs some trimming at the top to remove winterburned foliage most years, but it seems to do well. Mine doesn't get bigger than about 4 feet. In the first three photos, taken from the same point, it's on the left; in the final photo on the right.
June 2010 starting its third growing season
From June 2010

early Dec 2010
From December 2010

After some snow a couple of weeks later

From December 2010

From December 2010

o

Well, those pictures of bamboo in a NH winter certainly seal the deal for me. Holding its greenness in one zone lower than mine is encouraging. The online statements of cold hardy bamboo owners attesting to its deer resistance is a huge plus. Thank you both for taking the time to post pictures. Very helpful. Off to the nurseries.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here