Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How soon can my fig tree go in ground outside?

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 12:14

I got a small ficus "Chicago Hardy" which is in a 4" pot for now. I'll be planting it in a south facing part of my RI garden, near the seacoast but not full into the strong springtime SE wind. When can I safely plant it?

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How soon can my fig tree go in ground outside?

Is it dormant or does it have leaves? If it is dormant, you could plant it at any point when the ground is workable. I have had my fig outside since the 3rd week of February to prevent it from leafing out in the garage. If it has leaves then you need to wait until the danger of frost has passed in your area.

o

Personally, I'd wait until mid-May, but that may be overly cautious on my part. :) (mid-may is often when one can assume a lack of frosts, at least in the Boston area; you probably can go earlier in RI as it's further south)

o

It is leafed out. So I'll wait until May. But meantime should I put it in a larger pot (presently in 4") with more soil?

Carol

o

I would pot it up to maybe a 6" while it's still indoors. They grow pretty fast and I'm sure it would appreciate a little room to grow.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here