Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Boston Flower Show was disappointing

carol6ma_7ari
13 years ago

OK, you all, you warned me it wouldn't be much. And you were right. The theme, container gardening, should have alerted me that the display gardens would be mostly plants in pots (but some were actually plants in the ground), not my interest. The vendors were a smaller group than at the RI Flower Show. You'd think, a bigger state would have a bigger show.

I managed, though, to spend money: found a MN vendor who sells good, classic garden furniture made from recycled plastic milk jugs. Durable, choice of about 8 shades, heavier than wood, and the wind won't blow them over (always a problem in our coastal garden). Not cheap, but I think I won't have to replace these pieces, ever.

I heard 2 speakers while there: one was very good, Manuel Mendes demo'ing rose planting & care. The other was from the NE Wildflower Society and although he was entertaining, he made several mistakes of nomenclature. I was shocked to hear that my Bayberry trees, myrica pennsylvanica, were now to be called morella caroliniensis. So later I looked it up online and found that only the Southern Bayberry is now morella, and our familiar and beloved Northern Bayberry still has its old name. He also, to my intense irritation,, pronounced "gumbo file'", a flavoring powder made from the sassafras tree, as if it was something to abrade with. It's fee-LAY. The guy was a bright young speaker, but I hate to have my head crammed with misinformation, which tends to stick there.

The food for sale to take home (candy) was not much of a selection, compared to the RI show. But I did find some decent peanut brittle. This is important :)

Do you remember when the Boston Flower Show used to be acres and acres of displays and prize-winning arrangements? And when there were so many vendors that they were in a huge separate room? Remember when MassHort had a book store set up that was enormous?

One thing was still the same: a long line at the women's rest room. If you go, look for the rest rooms at the far end of the show area, no line.

Comment (1)