Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boston Flower Show was disappointing

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 12:51

OK, you all, you warned me it wouldn't be much. And you were right. The theme, container gardening, should have alerted me that the display gardens would be mostly plants in pots (but some were actually plants in the ground), not my interest. The vendors were a smaller group than at the RI Flower Show. You'd think, a bigger state would have a bigger show.

I managed, though, to spend money: found a MN vendor who sells good, classic garden furniture made from recycled plastic milk jugs. Durable, choice of about 8 shades, heavier than wood, and the wind won't blow them over (always a problem in our coastal garden). Not cheap, but I think I won't have to replace these pieces, ever.

I heard 2 speakers while there: one was very good, Manuel Mendes demo'ing rose planting & care. The other was from the NE Wildflower Society and although he was entertaining, he made several mistakes of nomenclature. I was shocked to hear that my Bayberry trees, myrica pennsylvanica, were now to be called morella caroliniensis. So later I looked it up online and found that only the Southern Bayberry is now morella, and our familiar and beloved Northern Bayberry still has its old name. He also, to my intense irritation,, pronounced "gumbo file'", a flavoring powder made from the sassafras tree, as if it was something to abrade with. It's fee-LAY. The guy was a bright young speaker, but I hate to have my head crammed with misinformation, which tends to stick there.

The food for sale to take home (candy) was not much of a selection, compared to the RI show. But I did find some decent peanut brittle. This is important :)

Do you remember when the Boston Flower Show used to be acres and acres of displays and prize-winning arrangements? And when there were so many vendors that they were in a huge separate room? Remember when MassHort had a book store set up that was enormous?

One thing was still the same: a long line at the women's rest room. If you go, look for the rest rooms at the far end of the show area, no line.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boston Flower Show was disappointing

Carol.
Sadly I agree. I do not have the patience for lectures, so I can't say I had that experience.
The Masshort folks were great as always. Chipper,eager to educate and talk "shop".
The vendors outnumbered the displays 2 to 1 and that's too bad. Plus there was a lot of "junk" for sale.
The food for sale INside was a very small selection and I DO miss the margaritas they sold at the old show.
It was an improvement over last year..the 1st year paragon ran it. I can only hope it keeps getting better!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here