Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer and weed killer- time of application

Posted by MLau 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 12:56

Good day, in light of the very mild winter and unusually warm temperatures this spring could someone please advise when fertilizer and weed killer should be applied? The temperatures are going to be in the 80's at the end of the week. It has been in the 60's the past week or so. Mel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer and weed killer- time of application

Assume you are talking about your lawn...

Fertilize once the grass actually starts growing. I wouldn't be too quick about it though. We could go back to real temps anytime.

I noticed my grass greening up just today. I fertilized in the fall.

Weed killer is also when weeds are actively growing. However, if you are referring to the Crab Pre-emergent stuff, (Step 1 if you do steps), do that when the forsythia in your area are blooming.

o
RE: Fertilizer and weed killer- time of application

Just an opinion to consider . . .

Much non-point source pollution comes from yard run-off. Often lawns don't really need weed and feed (I think we've maybe used it twice in 15 years.) Scott's and other similar companies would like you to think that it is needed so they can sell more. Mostly DH just mows high, lets the clippings get mulched right into the lawn (sometimes he double cuts to make the clippings finer), and chops the leaves up with the lawn mower in the fall rather than raking. This combination helps decrease the sunlight getting to weed seeds and allows slow breakdown of organic matter which helps the soil texture and adds nutrients slowly. It also decreases the amount of water needed since there is more organic matter in the soil and the soil is more shaded. A soil test will tell you if you need fertilizer (or lime, which in New England's mostly acid soils will make several nutrients more available.)

So more often than commercial vendors of lawn treatments would like, the answer to time of application might be, not this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here