Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boston Flower & Garden Show

Posted by nhbabs z4b-5a NH (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 13:08

I went to the Boston Flower & Garden Show on Thursday and had a good time wandering around. Here's a taste of some of the gardens, many of which were equally beautiful from all sides.

This first garden by the entryway was huge and included sophisticated stonework, a pergola, waterfall, and quite of range of beautifully forced leafy and flowering plant material.

From Boston Flower & Garden Show 2013

In the Japanese garden, there was a well done moon gate, topped by a dragon composed of plant material, as well as classic plants and hardscape for this type of garden.

A NH designer created this minimalist patio which seemed like it would be equally at home in rural or more urban settings.

One design included two seasons, winter and spring on different sides of the exhibit. (The winter bed seemed a bit redundant with what's outside right now, but was well done.)

As always there was a lot of water, from large pools and waterfalls to small burbling water features designed to provide masking sound and water for wildlife.

This green wall was planted with a combination of culinary and scented herbs. On the opposite side of the pool was a covered patio.

Miscovsky Landscaping had an impressive display with fully leafed out Japanese maples, an inviting patio and a large antique fountain repurposed as a planter, among other features. He also had a slide show that included a lot of before and after photos of his work that were inspiring.

I spent only a little time in the potted plants competition and flower arranging rooms, but this arrangement will inspire my garden choices. It won the top ribbon, I think for all the flower arranging categories.

I liked the whimsical plant hats.

A final garden shot - I suffer from camellia envy, so this one caught my eye. The other end of this garden (out of the shot) in contrast, was quite wild looking.

The gardens seemed particularly well-designed this year and it wasn't too crowded to be able to move. I was impressed by the plant quality and the use of both varied green plants, woody material, and flowers. Everything looked quite full. I'm always a bit disappointed at the current size of the event since I spend as long traveling as at the venue, but happily I had a fascinating companion on my return trip on the bus (a blind hiker in his 50's heading into the mountains to climb a couple of 4000 footers) so it was a most rewarding day trip.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boston Flower & Garden Show

Thanks so much for sharing these photos. I missed the show so it's great to be able to see what it was like.

o

Barb, great photos. Thanks so much for posting them. It looks like there were some really interesting displays. I love the flower hats! Glad to hear you had such a nice day.

o

I went to the Boston flower show the first time this year, the displays were a sight for sore eyes. There were even two displays with chicken coops complete with chickens. The Philly flower show had metal chickens in the one kitchen garden coop there.
With yet another snow storm bearing down on central mass I really enjoyed spending a few hours with blooms
Thanks for he beautiful pics!

o

Thanks for the shots of all the beautiful gardens and arrangements. I loved the culinary/herb wall (Hmmmm, could I do something like this on my deck that's off the kitchen?), the use of moss in the minimalist patio, and the display from Miscovsky Landscaping.

I also thought the hats looked wonderful --- each a combination of élan and the hope for the Spring.

Molie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here