Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejr2005

Assessing the Damage

ejr2005
12 years ago

I was outside assessing the damage from last night's temps. Did not uncover things yet though I did peek at some and they seemed fine.

Of the things I did not cover, I was surprised that my hellebores seemed to be the worst hit. One that was in full bloom and gorgeous yesterday had leaning and bent flower stalks today. My R. mucronulatum which were also in full bloom were also hit.

Daffodils that had flower stalks up but not open, new rose and lilac leaves, and most other things looked fine. Of course time will tell. My Hydrangeas are still in their winter cloaks so don't know about them, but the stalks that were escaping looked fine.

I was going to leave covers on through tonight, but it looks like we're only going to 32 degrees so I'm thinking of uncovering.

Comments (15)

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Some things I had in tunnels froze..I am suprised in a bad way LOL... Tomatos.basil I have been growing from seed since feb GONE. ACK.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I don't see any damage on what we covered or what wasn't covered. Just one sedum that looks a little soft. But I didn't look at every thing in the garden.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I didn't cover anything outside. When I went out around noon time today, I didn't notice any damage at all.

I had moved my pepper plants on to my 3 season porch a few weeks ago. These are peppers I grew on containers on my patio last summer and I overwintered them in my guest room. I threw a blanket over the peppers last night - and I'm leaving it on until tomorrow. I was too lazy to carry all the peppers inside last night.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Oh Michelle, that stinks about your tomatoes & basil. :-(

I used dollar store sheer curtain panels clipped on the stems of my hydrangeas with clothespins but only on the ones that were slightly leafed out. Also covered my cushion spurge & a hosta with more weighed down with rocks. Set a couple of large, light-colored pots upside down over my Echinacea Pow Wow Wild Berry plants that had sent up new growth. Rocks held those in place as well.

My hellebore that's blooming fit to beat the band looks a little the worse for wear but I figure that's probably the cold-hardiest thing growing in the garden so I didn't cover it.

I'm leaving the protection on everything again tonight in case the wind dies down. It didn't last night which I think may have helped to keep the frost from forming. Other than one tiny sprout of winter sown hardy geranium I'd just set in a quart pot, I didn't carry anything inside but I moved pots of things that were breaking dormancy onto my covered breezeway and tucked them up against the house wall or under folding tables.

I think the wind did more damage to the daffodils that are blooming than the cold. Most of the clumps in the lower part of the garden are up but haven't bloomed yet so they should be okay unless Ma Nature continues to have these wild mood swings.

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

> in case the wind dies down. It didn't last night which I think may have helped to keep the frost from forming.

Unless I'm misreading this, I'm not sure this is the way frost damage works. If the temps go down to 24, frost-tender foliage is killed, period. The wind will affect the appearance of the ice crystals that form, if there's enough moisture in the air for ice to form, that is, but the temperature itself and the freezing of the tender foliage is what does in the flowers and fruits.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I should have mentioned it was 28 degrees on my porch this morning.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

My min/max thermometer says it got down to 25F last night. Nothing got covered and nothing was damaged. Potted plants went back inside the garage, and will stay there again tonight. That's just life with potted plants.

• ginny12
    12 years ago

My Rhododendron mucronulatum had just burst into full bloom and every flower was ruined--a first ever for this longtime shrub in my garden. Between the cold and the high winds for two days, that was the end.

My pansies in window boxes collapsed but perked up when the wind died down. I have a lot of glory-of-the-snow, Chionodoxa, and they are fine. Also Dicentra spectabilis in a very protected position.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I fully expected my Leonard Messel magnolia buds to be toast but when I got home this afternoon they were blooming as if the temperature had stayed in the 40's all along. Wherever the wind blew the sheers off my hydrangeas the foliage is turning black. Weird.

• poppa
    12 years ago

I checked a half dozen broccoli (extras!) that i set into the garden but they were all froze. The surprise was that i noticed that i had a couple of asparagus spears come up that i hadn't seen, they were about 6 inches tall and frozen solid as well. *sigh* Other than that, no damage to anything in the unheated GH.

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Well, the other day I was moaning and groaning and complaining "Woe is me, Woe is me" in total despair over the forecasted frost and guess what!???? No frost damage that I can see anywhere. How wonderful. Rose foliage - fine. Tree peony - fine. Daphne - buds looking ready to burst (for the first time ever. Or as the say round here "eV-vaH"... Gotta love New England. Always keeps you hopping!!!!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

My Leonard Messel magnolia buds were fine too. None had fully opened, just a few at the top were puffing out showing some color.

My Rhododendrum mucronulatum that was in full bloom got hit. But it is somewhat presentable. It looks like the flowers shrunk and are slightly wilted. It still provides some color.

I drove by some full blown huge white magnolia trees and every flower was brown. ugh. what a shame.

My hellebores look fine. (relatively speaking, they are kinda bland and I am looking at some of the new varieties, but that's another story).

I covered my pot ghetto (recently relocated to handy patio shelves for the spring) even though it was mostly perennials. Lots of fresh foliage to consider. I brought in my Caladium tubers. (they really had no right to be outside in the first place -- the summer tease got them out there)

Jap Maples had not leafed out in the least so that's good. New foliage can be very susceptible to spring frosts.

Pansies loved it. They look even better.

Next week 60's again... yippee!!

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

The frost wasn't kind to my daffodils. They're all bent over and wilted, but I guess it could be worse.

• ejr2005
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It looks like my hellebore that looked the worst has recovered - even the flower stalks that looked bent and I thought were goners are standing up. But the plant still doesn't seem really happy - the flower heads look more bent down than normal. Maybe it will look better when the sun comes out. I also watered it which probably helped.

The plant that seems to have fared the worst is my Disanthus cercidifolius. Not sure if it was from the cold or my trying to protect it. I tried to tie a sheet of material around it when the wind was wiping around. About 2/3 of the brand new leaves look either blackened or at peculiar angles (like I hit them). I moved the small tree last year so I was already worried about it.

• girlcat36
    12 years ago

I lost some wintersown cosmos and celosia even though I had put their lids back on. There's plenty of time to sow some more. Nothing else in my yard appears to be damaged, thankfully.

Teresa