Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corunum

Pictures-Philadelphia Flower Show 2011

corunum z6 CT
13 years ago

If you're interested in seeing some pictures, I was at the show March 8th. These pictures are the best I could do with the camera which was frequently raised above my head and out of eye view to snap a shot. Not having been to this show before, I have no comparison. However, this show is decidedly a floral design show versus say, a gardening show, and its theme is "Springtime in Paris", hence the mock-up of the base of the Eiffel Tower and a mini Arc de Triomphe. Very sophisticated floral designs and perfect timing all around for about the best maximum flower opening. Amazing feat by the growers. The show is partitioned into 3 separate areas covering about 32 acres: Section A houses all the floral work, Section B houses seating for lessons, Smith and Hawkins, large Lee Valley tools display, et al., and, Section C houses hundreds of vendors carrying most of the typical flower show 'things-for-sale'. The Seed Exchange got my money as did our several trips through the Reading Terminal Market which is directly across the street from the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Would you believe 1.25lbs of French string beans for $.99? Yup! It was a fun two day adventure -views of New York City through the clouds - from Amtrak rails.

Jane

Click this link and when you're there, if you want Slideshow, click where it says Slideshow above the 1st picture on the left.

Here is a link that might be useful: Philadelphia Flower Show pictures

Comments (10)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So that's what spring looks like! I'd almost forgotten about green leaves and flowers.... I think I need a greenhouse full of orchids, and an ostrich, and some Hippeastrum Rose Cybister, not to mention a hero/sub like the ones across the street, and a lot of other stuff. And all of it comes with a nice train ride.

Thanks for a mini micro vacation!

Claire

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

I'm going on Saturday. I'm really excited! Thanks for giving me a sneak peek!
    Deb

• hunt4carl
    13 years ago

Nice shots ! You should be working for the Flower Show's promotion
    department. . .having seen this year's presentation, I must say that you
    certainly captured the spirit of the show ! C'mon down, folks, you've
    still got a few days. . .

Carl

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Thanks, those were great. I agree that it's more of a floral design show - something about all that massed color that doesn't quite appeal as much as the little garden vignettes. Love the Reading Terminal Market, too - sorry I missed it this year, so it was nice to have a chance to see your photos.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for posting, Jane. 32 acres?! Simply amazing!!

For others who have been before, is the emphasis on floral design typical or just in keeping with this year's theme?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Nice! When I saw those hyacinths, I was wishing I could smell them too!

Technically, I can say I have been to this show before. However, since I was about 10 years old and much more interested in seeing the Liberty Bell from the bus as we passed by, I can't really comment on the experience. Too bad I didn't appreciate it at the time!

Thanks, Jane, for sharing these. Seeing those blooms is wonderful on this dreary day!

:)
    Dee
    (Have fun Deb!)

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

I've only been once, last year. It was definitely more focused on floral arrangements - including bedding plants - than the Boston or Providence shows.

In the summer, that kind of overly brilliant display usually leaves me cold, but in March, all the color is welcome.

• hunt4carl
    13 years ago

"Is the emphasis on floral design typical or just in keeping with this
    year�s theme?"

Interesting question, Babs, and one we have been asking ourselves
    a lot these last few years. . .it turns out there are a lot of complicated
    and overlapping reasons.

The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS), which produces the show,
    celebrated it's 175th anniversary with the show in 2004. . .but it also
    marked the retirement of Ed Lindemann, the show's brilliant designer/
    director for 25 incredible years. In an organization as large as PHS, a
    staff change at that level can have all kinds of ripple effects; just five
    years later, another tecotnic shift when the longtime president of PHS,
    Jane Pepper, stepped down. So, with fresh blood and new ideas at the
    highest levels, plus the show's dramatic new visibility in it's new home in central Philadelphia since 1996, AND the study this season which showed
    that the Flower Show has a 61 million dollar economic impact on the city. . .
    well, the landscape has changed. In order to keep the show growing and
    earning dollars - it IS a fundraiser, after all, and the primary means by which
    PHS supports all it's other remarkable programs like Philadelphia Green -
    there is the understandable inclination to try to make the show more
    accessible to the general (non-gardening) public, i.e. popularizing it.
    Stunning floral displays - as in the Rose Bowl Parade - are a logical way
    to go, albeit not to the taste of many gardeners. Don't get me wrong: even
    as a diehard gardener, I have to admit that some of these displays are awesome. . .just look at some of Jane's pictures again!

Along with this trend toward "popularization", consider the economics:
    being an exhibitor in a show of this magnitude is crushingly expensive,
    which partially explains the recent attrition rate - two years ago, we lost
    one of the biggest and best exhibitors in recent memory, J. Franklin
    Styer Nurseries, who would win Best-In-Show medals year after year.
    These were the kind of garden displays we would make a beeline for every
    year: "What did Styer come up with this year?" Why the swan song? Styer
    was bought out by Urban Oufitters in 2009, and has been transformed
    into an upscale place called "Trend", a sort of Smith & Hawkin-on-steroids.
    I'll pause momentarily while we all shudder. . .

This year, we lost another major exhibitor, J. Cugliotta Landscape/Nursery which was already in it's third generation at the show. . .still haven't heard
    the scoop on this retirement, but I can't help wondering if it didn't have
    something to do with the demise of their #1 competitor over the years,
    J. Franklin Styer. We also lost Lindekin Water Gardens, where you could
    always expect to find fascinating ponds, pools, streams, waterfalls and all
    things water related. . .gone.

For many of these landscapers/nurseries, it must be hard to justify the
    daunting expense (many thousands of dollars) of a major display, unless it
    is generating compensatory new business. And the additional labor costs
    of installing a garden display are far greater than for a floral design display -
    and as much as I hate to say it (because I'm generally pro-union) the labor
    unions at these big convention halls are making a killing . . .thank heaven for
    the thousands of volunteers donating endless hours of time throughout the shows' entire run. It literally could not go on without them. . .

In all honesty, I think the days of those overwhelming, jaw-dropping garden displays we all salivated over, are basically done. . .I'm just grateful to have
    had a ring-side seat all these years. I cut my teeth on The Boston Flower
    Show (at the old Horticultural Hall across from Symphony Hall) when I was
    just a little tyke; and then I discovered my first Philadelphia Flower Show
    back in the 1960's, and I haven't missed too many since then. There are
    glimmers of hope: Michael Petrie, the brilliant designer for all the Styer
    exhibits since 2001, now has his own outfit, called Handmade Gardens,
    and they had TWO displays this year, both of them exceptional. The huge
    Horticourt, which displays all the competitive classes (it's a whole show
    unto itself!) is very much alive and thriving. As always, PHS insists that
    all the 130+ vendors in the Marketplace be "garden related" - no fear of
    being hustled to purchase life insurance or the latest kitchen gadget! There are two major corporate sponsors now (this kind of thing has been evolving over the last decade): PNC Bank (which hired Handmade Gardens to create one the very best gardens in the show) and Subaru. . .while I'm not wild about a car sitting on the show floor, at least it is parked on cobbles next to a garden! Pet Peeve: this Subaru garden is always quite lovely, BUT THE PLANTS ARE NEVER LABELED, and of course the "car" people staffing the exhibit are clueless as to anything around them in the garden. . .actually, my friend and I had fun with them this year, teaching them the names of all "their" plants !

Heaven forfend! I seem to have rattled on here ad nauseum. . .my apologies,
    but flower shows are one my passions. Anyone want to join me at the show
    out in Cincinatti this year?

Carl

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the info, Carl. I really prefer the landscapes, both for the botany and the design. Even at this time of year that type of floral display doesn't really float my boat, so if there are more of the flowery displays, I think I'll give it a miss unless I am going to couple it with a trip to Philadelphia for another reason. Boston still devotes more space to landscapes than just flowers.

What is the Cincinatti show like? Do you travel there just for the show? I'll be in the Cleveland area then, but don't think I will have the time to go since I'm helping my mom with moving prep & it's about a 5 hour trip if I am remembering correctly after many years of not living in Ohio.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

I have to say that at least last year, the displays at the Philly show that were outright floral arrangements did knock my socks off - they were actual Art, and interesting to boot. Much more sophisticated than their counterparts at Boston, as I recall, although to be fair I usually didn't pay much attention to that department at the old New England shows.