Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyguy

2013 New England Plant Swap, June 1, 9 am, Walpole MA

daylilyguy
11 years ago

Happy Spring (well, almost)!

ItâÂÂs a PLANT SWAP! We had a blast last year; so weâÂÂre doing it again! And most everyone left with a car full of plants.

WeâÂÂre good to go with our second annual New England Plant Swap at Adams Farm (999 North St.) in Walpole, MA on June 1, 2013 from 9 until noon. If you have plants that have thrived, others would love to share in your success. The more you can bring, the more you can take. ItâÂÂs rain or shine (not to worry, itâÂÂs covered), and weâÂÂll have the coffee pot on. So bring your plants, and your friends with plants.

If you have questions, email us at info@newenglandplantswap.org or visit the web site at www.newenglandplantswap.org or call 508.507.9629 and leaves us a message. Thanks, and we look forward to seeing you, your plants and your friends with their plants.

Please pass this along and be sure to tell your gardening friends: the more, the merrier! Please drop us a line or give us a call and let us know if youâÂÂll be able to make it.

Even if you donâÂÂt have anything to swap, come after 11 am, as last year there were plenty of great plants left just for the taking.

Best,

Lance

Comments (59)

• wispfox
    11 years ago

BudGarden: Ooooh, cannas and fritillaria? What colors? :)

• BudGarden
    11 years ago

the cannas are green foliage and red/pink flowers...(i have crates of them)

the fritillaria are orange and yellow...beautiful, large, early spring flowers. Bring it on!

• wispfox
    11 years ago

I think I already have that kind of canna (the only one I have, but it hasn't bloomed yet!), but the fritillaria sounds promising!

Whee!

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wispfox... I'll bring quite a bit of husker red digitalis and agastache and campanula (not sure of the cultivars, but I have the tags somewhere; I never throw them out)...and I'm going to start a lot purple queen cleome from seed. A great plant.

Another plant that I forgot about that is thriving are my "sheffield pinks". They're a mum that bloom very late. Speaking of late, I also have some montauk daisies that are fun to grow and easy propagate, but they're a harbringer of Fall :(

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 New England Plant Swap

• wispfox
    10 years ago

Do people ever bring water plants? I ask because it's probably harder to keep them happy at a swap, but at the same time, it'd be fun to have different plants!

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Variety is VREY important, wispfox! I brought quite a few water plants last year. I have an aquascape pond with lots of fish which make it a haven for prolific plants. I had some beautiful water irises and water lilies. Put them in quart containers (cool whip type) with rocks and water. If they survived a New England winter, they'll certainly survive the plant swap. Last year, one guy brought a bunch of very cool tropicals (voodoo lilies)...my containers never looked better.

• wispfox
    10 years ago

Ah, excellent. Then I will definitely split my pickerel weed clumps, and my lilies (I have white and pink, and sadly do not know which is which. And I don't much like pink) will also be split and completely given away. Maybe some of the parrot's feather, as well.

Mmm, less than a month!

• blowell
    10 years ago

Would anyone be interested in freshly sowed plants in 4" pots? I was planning a backyard plant sale with the many extras I'll have once everything comes up. Mostly perennials. Balloon flowers, Bergenia, Agastache Rupestins, Monarda Didyma, Columbine Double Pleat Blackberry, Batchelor's Buttons. Hopefully I'll have some Lavendar Hidcote and Mumstead. Catmint and Spearmint if anyone is interested. Also had someleft over Echinacea Bravado and Paradox.

• wispfox
    10 years ago

blowell: I've frequently been curious about balloon flowers but keep having other things that I am more interested in growing from seed (largely food plants). So I'd be interested in one at the swap!

I love batchelor's buttons, but I don't think the ones I had last year survived. :( The same is true of the monarda jacob cline I had, I think because I moved it to too much shade. So I'd be delighted by some Monarda Didyma.

And, looking at the others... Agastache Rupestins and Columbine Double Pleat Blackberry are both gorgeous.

Um. I think the answer, for me at least, is 'yes! I'd be interested!'. ;)

• blowell
    10 years ago

Balloon flowers are really nice. Full sun, easy care. The hardest part about them is keeping yourself and friends and family from popping the balloons before they open! I hope by June 1 I'll have lots of nice healthy plants and will try to make out to Walpole.

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we look forward to seeing you blowell... sounds like you have some great stuff...and I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff you like as well.

and wispfox, I've potted up some Agastache and Campanula for you! My yard is beginning to look like a nursery!

• wispfox
    10 years ago

My pond looks like a nursery! I divided my lilies and pickerel weed, and the ones I'm not keeping are hanging around in buckets and crates in the pond, to contain them, and to prevent mosquitoes from escaping the hungry mouths of my goldfish and actually making it to adulthood.

I've not yet started digging things for potting and bringing to the swap, as most of them are happier in the ground and not yet in the way. I have thinned some of my sedum ground cover, though!

• Boston_noob
    10 years ago

I'm hoping to come! I'm kinda new here! ;)

Not sure if what I bring will have much interest with the more-experienced folk, but it sounds like a fun learning experience and a chance to get some things to fill containers on my deserted, but full-sun patio!

I'll have a couple types of hostas, hardy hibiscus I've grown from a neighbors seeds, a couple oriental poppies, and some veggie seedlings. I'll also try to get some hardy mums and perhaps some perennial foxgloves i can dig from my mom's place. ;) I take it I shouldn't bother digging into the forest of orange day lilies in my side yard as they don't seem high on anyone's want list!

Paul

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Paul, when I was first getting started in gardening, I would have loved a plant swap. You learn so much and people are thrilled to give advice on their plants and how they grow best. You'll fill up your patio! Hosta and hardy hibiscus would be great...and I love daylilies (hence my screen name), but don't want any orange ones. I have beds of those, too. I've always wanted to try foxgloves. They are a classic! Looking forward to seeing you there, and BRING your mom. She'd love it, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 New England Plant Swap

• wispfox
    10 years ago

Even after giving away a ridiculous number (mostly the larger ones) of the spirea japonica, I still keep finding some. So clearly, I will have a bunch for the swap! But it will include a note that anyone near wild areas should not get one.

And apparently the white lily that was in an annoying place is actually three of them, plus a bunch of bulblets. Who knew? They are in the fridge right now, as apparently they never go completely dormant, but being moist and cool help them last longer out of the ground.

• blowell
    10 years ago

I'm still hoping to have many plants to offer. It's been real hectic and I'm way behind. Hope I'll be able to make it.

• wispfox
    10 years ago

Blowell: Even if you don't have a bunch, come anyway! Or at least, that's what I think you should do. ;)

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wispfox is right... come regardless of what you have to offer... people like me have so much to get rid of, we really don't want much. It's just nice meeting great gardeners who appreciate free plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Plant Swap

• zahzeen
    10 years ago

Count me in! I'll be bringing at least:
    Small tomato plants - heirloom and from organic seeds (miracle grow potting mix)
    Chives
    Lilies of the Valley
    Money/Honesty plants
    Pink fringe loosestrife (may be invasive)
    Baby white hosta

Between now and June 1st, I'll see what else I have to bring. I'd love some solomon seal, campanula, ballloon flowers and fritillaria among other things!

This will be my first time at this swap. Thank you for hosting.

• wispfox
    10 years ago

Hi! I will have extra African violet starts, among other indoor plants. Are those welcome, and is there a place for them out of the bright sun?

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

I'll most likely be there with hostas and maybe an azalea or two?

I'm also looking to remove a holly bush from out in front of my house, but I'm not entirely sure how healthy it is... I'd hate to trade a plant that might die!

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need some hostas...my yard is now pretty shady from lots of great trees! My driveway is looking like a nursery...I'm bringing lots of great stuff (my list is above)..... looking forward to seeing everyone there.

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And wispfox... ALL plants are welcome...Houseplants are a great way to bring gardening indoors (and with our winters, we need it). There's a HUGE covered area at the farm. Last year it POURED, but we still had a blast. There are pictures of last year's swap on the web site.

http://newenglandplantswap.org/lastyear.html

I'm doing a lot with indoor succulents this year. I'm amazed at how well they do with so little care.

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    10 years ago

Count me in too! This is only the second year gardening at this house so I don't have lots to bring. I divided my red canna and will also have hosta, a purple heuchera, a red astilbe, tomato plants, smoky fennel and red perilla frutescens (both good for cooking) and the fennel is a host plant for butterflies. Will also bring Asiatic lilies, and I need to thin out some perennials. I will also bring along some raggedy evergreens that the deer chewed to bits last winter so if you have a fenced area, they should do well.

I'm looking for named hostas that I don't have, Japanese painted ferns, day lilies and wild violets. Look forward to meeting everyone.
    Sheila

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandysoil... that sounds like a lot of great plants! I almost bought some more Japanese painted fern the other day... my yard is getting more shady all the time. We look forward to seeing you there!

• Started_with_bean
    10 years ago

I've got some small annuals I started from seed. Any takers? There will be a couple of magenta torenias, some blue salvias (Evolution and Fairy Queen), a Blutopia bacopa, a White Dazzler impatiens. They're small but in need of an appreciative homes! I' m not looking to trade, just looking for homes for my babies.

• greendale
    10 years ago

I wanted to go to this exciting event but hesitate to respond since I do not have anything to offer, we just bought this house last summer and there is no plants at all. Plus I am very new to gardening, not sure what plants should I buy when I visit the nurseries. Can I bring some coffees for you guys:)?

Oh, we actually have some house plants that we can share (sanserievia trifasciata 'black gold', sanserievia trifasciata 'moonshine', schefflera arboricola, aglaonema, and maybe some peace lily), they are all your ordinary house plants though, anyone interested?

Thanks & Regards

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

started with bean.... annuals are always popular...I went a little crazy with some purple queen cleome and will be bringing some six packs of them.

and greendale, bring some of your houseplants. they're popular, too! I'd be interested in some! I've been experimenting with exotic tropicals indoors. Lots of fun!

Meeting local gardeners is a great way to get started. They love to talk about their successes (and failures).They'll know what does well here and will offer you so much free advice--and free plants. It doesn't get any better!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

• Started_with_bean
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lance! I'm looking forward to June now, even more so with the cold weekend coming up!

• hchristie
    10 years ago

wow everything here sounds fantastic, I am planning to come, going to mapquest Walpole, are the directions for the farm posted here? If not could someone send me the address please?

Thank you!

• wispfox
    10 years ago

some of the plants I'm bringing are awkward to try to fit into pots. is it ok to wrap the roots in damp paper (towels or newspaper) and then in plastic bags, as if for shipping?

I've dug an Oak-leaf hydrangea, have some lilac babies but will still need to grr a couple of a variegated type, have a ridiculous amount of spirea japonica, something that i was given last year as a 'perennial sunflower' which i kept in a pot because it was supposed to spread like crazy (and did), some sedum, some forsythia, some raspberry with few thorns, some water lilies, and some Pickerel weed.

still pending are various hosta, although mostly of the one type that evidently really likes my yard, lily-of-the-valley, firecracker loosestrife, a spreading geranium, more sedum, some oddly placed Solomon seal, probably an attempt at transplanting rhubarb even though it's the wrong season, snow-in-summer, purple creeping phlox, turtle flower...

labeling everything will be fun. ;) so will fitting them in my car!

10 years ago

wispfox, I have a couple of plants that are too big for the pots that I have so I'm going to wrap them in newspaper and plastic. I'll wait until the day before to dig those up.

• christyanne926
    10 years ago

Hi-

Would anyone want tomato or pepper starts at this point? I have too many, and want to come to the plant swap, but grow almost exclusively edibles.

Well, my landlord did plant this ground cover-something low growing with lots of white flowers-that I might try to dig up some of too as it's trying to take over.

I guess the real question is if anybody has interest in any vegetables/will there be other people exchanging vegetables?

• wispfox
    10 years ago

EpeeGardener: I get the sense that the answer is "bring stuff if you have it, but come even if you don't, as there will probably be extra stuff". :)

So I don't imagine you bringing those would be a bad idea. :) (I don't want them, probably, as I'm running out of space for my existing tomatoes, and my peppers never produce)

• SecretGarden99
    10 years ago

I am just starting to grow my garden but would love any flowering plants that anyone has extras or wants to get rid of.

• wispfox
    10 years ago

Ok, daylilyguy, I've got an Oak-leaf hydrangea for you, which seems to be perking back up after the shock of being dug and potted (was a little worried there!), some common lilacs and a variegated lilac, and I've got some sedum (autumn joy, i think, as well as the green and the yellow-orange groundcovers) but more are pending (I do seem to have a lot of types!). I'll be labeling the oak-leaf hydrangea and variegated lilac for you, since I only have the one variegated lilac, and don't expect to dig more of the oak-leaf before Saturday.

Zahzeen, I currently have a Solomon seal potted up, which I will label as yours, as I am not sure I'll get more dug before Saturday.

Sandysoil: I'll definitely have a violet or two, and could easily bring more, in case you aren't the only one who wants it. I have Japanese painted fern, and I'll check if it needs thinning (hasn't so far, but it's not as crazy as other things, so I might just have missed it).

Hmm. I should see if lungwort is easily transplanted, as that could use thinning (and is trying to overrun the Japanese painted fern).

• wispfox
    10 years ago

Accidental double post, sorry!

And yes, thinning lungwort, but no for the Japanese fern. Sorry!

This post was edited by wispfox on Thu, May 30, 13 at 20:07

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SecretGarden... you'll LOVE it at the swap... lots of friendly folks with lots of free plants and advice...it doesn't get any better!

Wispfox... I divided some of my lungwort (thrives in shade and flowers for almost a month). I was a little nervous because it has a long tap root... but almost all of them look perky. Who knew!

• jillyluis
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, We are just finishing a renovation that has left my gardenâÂÂs decimatedâ¦I mean blank slates, so I really must apologize for my gigantic listâ¦.it really is just a massive wish list as I always forget what I am looking for when I go to nurseries. I read through the list people have poste, and I would love some tomtoes and pepper seedings, a peegee hydrangea, Scylla, esp the purple /white, balloon flower,. What I hope to be able to bring is at the bottom.

Varigated lilac, Double peoniesHigh bush Blueberries, Dogwood, Sweetspire, Azalea
    Enkainthus winterberry
    Grape hyacinths, puple white checked Scylla
    Pipevine, Hydrangea, Clematis
    Ferns (lots, maidenhair, jap painted, ostrich, Christmas, ghost, whatever) , tall blue or blue-white hosta Daylilies, soft pink, purple, Woodland phlox, Hellebores
    Perenial herbs Sage, Rosemary, Savory, Oregano, Thyme, Tarragon Lavender,
    Hakone grass Anemone (grandiose)Rose campion
    Prunella graniflora Balloon flower
    Allium,Trillium, Virginia blue bells, Jack in the pulpit, Iris, Moss, Toad lilly
    epimidium
    Sweet woodruff, Dooryard violets, Bunchberry, Wintergreen/Checkerberry, European or Canadian ginger, Solomen Seal, Vinca, Lamiam (not white or yellow), Epimedium
    DelphineumPacific hybridbellamosom or belladonna, Geranium sanguieum var striatum
    BabyâÂÂs breath, rosea, Veronica umbrosa âÂÂgeorgia blueâ speedwell short
    Baptisia False indigo, Aconite, Agapache, Scabiosa , Campanula, Bergenia
    Tomato Plants and pepper plants would be great, unfortunately, I donâÂÂt have anything edible to swap this year.

What IâÂÂm hoping to dig up, and definitely will if you let me know youâÂÂd like it
    Hot pink creeping phlox
    Spirea, small
    Happy returns day lilies (yellow)
    Purple spreading geranium
    Pink spreading geranium,
    Hosta seedlings
    Purple bee balm(I think, though one of my wise friends swears it is not)
    Lilac, French
    Purple coral bells, possibly purple palace.

Looking forward to it!

• daylilyguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jillyluis... I'd LOVE some purple coral bells and purple bee balm (as long as it's resistent to powdery mildew). I know this is not the weather for potting up plants...but New Englanders (and their plants) seem to be great at doing everything is either freezing or scorching temperatures.

I know wispfox also loves purple plants/flowers!

• wispfox
    10 years ago

... Ok, for any plants which are in large groups, I think I'm bringing them in plastic bags instead of trying to pot them up. It's just so _warm_...

*dripping sweat*

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    10 years ago

I'd love to try to come. We just got back from the UK and I had an accident while away so I am not sure how much I am going to be able to pot up. Maybe I will take requests only. I can bring the following:

Bearded iris - white
    lamb's ear
    chives
    Ladies Mantle
    Cream colored daylilies
    Astilbe - white and pink.

Again, not sure how much I wll be able to pot up, but I would like to try!

• PRO
    10 years ago

I think I will have to plan on the NH swap considering my left wing is a bit wounded, so please disregard the above post. Maybe I wills ee some of you in NH?

10 years ago

wispfox, I'm with you on the dripping sweat today. I was going to dig up the big red astilbe tonight. But I just packed the van with my offerings for the swap and it's full to the brim. So no room for the astilbe.

Whitegarden, hope that you mend quickly. Maybe you can make it next year?

• PRO
    10 years ago

Absolutely sandy. I wish I could be there today!

• christyanne926
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone who ran this event! It was great fun AND I almost got rid of all my extras. Brought home way too many new and exciting plants-I felt like a kid in a candy store!

• zahzeen
    10 years ago

A huge THANK YOU to all involved. This was so beyond expectations! I agree with EpeeGardner, it was like a candy store for the sugar craved. I'm already looking forward to next year. Thank you so, so much again.

• wispfox
    10 years ago

Whee! That was so much fun! Thanks for hosting and organizing. :)

Next year, I'll do better at labeling the things I know, and will definitely make sure to get there earlier enough to unload _before_ everyone is allowed to start picking things.

It might also make sense to figure out some way to, say, limit people to 5 things in the first half hour or something, just so everything of one sort doesn't immediately vanish.

10 years ago

Thanks to Lance and the other organizers. It was wonderful - so many plants and friendly gardeners. It's definitely on my calendar for next year!

• lancerobinson
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for making the New England Plant Swap such a success. We had a blast and are doing it again in 2014!

2014 New England Plant Swap
    May 31, 2014, 9 am
    Adams Farm
    999 North St.
    Walpole, MA