Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chardie_gw

Anything on your Spring shopping list yet?

chardie
10 years ago

Since my house painting is about 99% DONE, I can once again concentrate on my gardens. I'll be working on the side yards, which will complete my make-over of the yards.

I actually started one side yard last fall. I transplanted some hostas and bought my first viburnum. I realized there are areas that get some sun, so I want to buy hydrangeas--Blue Billow, Limelight, Snow Queen and Royal Purple.

What's on your list?

Comments (14)

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Congratulations on the completion of your house painting project Chardie! We finished ours last summer, hurray!

I have ordered more small trees (white birch, river birch, more sugar maples, crabapples, white pines, and a forsythia bush). I'm hoping this will complete the tree-planting project. Also I ordered three miniature rose bushes to replace the few I've lost. (Roses seem to have about a 3 year life expectancy here, so I replace them periodically. I'm really a zone too cold for them.)

Today I sent off an order for two new garden hoses, both in a delightful purple color. Garden hoses have limited life expectancies as well it seems and I'm in need of new ones.

I may need to purchase some more solar lights as backups. I'll have to see how many lights from last summer are still operating.

I would be a bit more enthusiastic about these purchases if I really believed that spring and summer are a reality and not just figments of my imagination!

Best of luck developing your new yards/gardens. It sounds like an ambitious and fun project.

• moliep
    10 years ago

Chardie, we're waiting for Spring before we even begin to create our list.

Since much of our yard is done, the things I'd like are mostly annuals and a few other plantings I'd like to tuck into the gardens.... like a specific rose and perhaps some things that may not have survived this winter. These I prefer to see and pick up at garden centers/stores nearby.

It sure is exciting to create new gardens... ones that reflect your taste. Hopefully you'll be posting some photos as your new gardens grow? Have fun!

Molie

• terrene
    10 years ago

I will be making a trip to the nursery this weekend to pick up a couple more ingredients for home-made potting mix (made with spaghnum peat moss, perlite, hydrated lime, slow release fert., and maybe some bark fines if I can find them). Got LOTS of seeds to sow yet.

With the big Norway maple taken down today, I've got plans to do much more planting along the property line on that side (mostly for privacy from the neighbors). The trees/shrubs planted there will get much more sun now. I want a nice backdrop of 5 or so Arborvitae 'Green Giant'.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Terrene, if you find any bark fines, let me know. I've been wanting those for awhile now. Thanks. :-)

I'm going to be looking for blueberry bushes, elderberry shrubs, Aronia, maybe strawberry plants. Hoping I don't have to shop for Clematis, if my own came through the winter fine.

• ontheteam
    10 years ago

Terrene, in a few weeks Costco will have 6 foot or taller Arborvities for about $20.00. They do not name the cultivar. I can keep and eye and and let you know when they come in if you like.

• ontheteam
    10 years ago

As for what's on my list..I dunno yet... I have to remove 2 large clumps of Miscanthus Silver Feather and see ow much room I have for sun loving stuff 1st.

Now IF I had my way I would buy every bare root clematis,peony for my sunny location that I do not all ready have and every Fern,and type of Hosta you can find for all my shade lol...

I never really have a list I guess I am an impulse buyer and thus a cram it in style gardener for my self.

As for the plant sale I run for the Hospital I am a plant hoarder LOL and get what ever comes my way.

• tree_oracle
    9 years ago

A portable greenhouse. I've always wanted to try one to get my seedlings off to a better start. My wife got me one for our anniversary this year. I'm setting it up this week to try it out. If it doesn't turn out to be that great, I'm going to build a more permanent one.

• moliep
    9 years ago

@tree_oracle.... post a photo and review when it's up?

Molie

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Oracle,
    What a great project that is. It allows you to literally garden year round. Here's a blog that I've found from a guy in Worcester, who talks a lot about greenhouse growing. I think you'll like it. This guy is a real plant geek.

As for me, I've ordered a new Magnolia cultivar from RareFind Nursery in NJ. It's name is Judy Zuk. I've wanted a yellow Magnolia for a while. This one is fragrant.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing With Plants

This post was edited by steve_mass on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 13:06

• tree_oracle
    9 years ago

Here's a couple of pics of my new portable greenhouse. The box it came in was smaller than I was expecting. It didn't seem like this would be a big greenhouse but once it was assembled, it was a very nice size. Setup was a snap. The greenhouse just sort of springs open like those play tunnels and houses that children have. There are some fiberglass rounds that fit into designed pouches that keep the greenhouse propped open. The base is anchored down with metal spikes that are hooked on the end. The top is anchored down with cords that are attached to anchored spikes. Yesterday, it was probably no more than 60ðF at the coast where I live but it was a toasty 88ðF in the greenhouse. I went out late morning today and the temp was 82ð. I think my tomatoes are going to be liking it! You can see the condensation forming on the walls after I put it up. It feels very tropical inside of it.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

tree_oracle - My in-laws have used a similar setup for years for their veggie and flower starts. They start seeds indoors, and then at the appropriate time move them out into the mini-greenhouse. They have been quite successful with it in a spot that gets a bit of shade, and they leave the door unzipped most days so that things don't cook, only closing it up at night. I think you'll enjoy having it.

I have orders in for more clematis (though I don't need any more, I do love having lots of them) and have ordered my veggie seeds as well as potatoes, and leek and onion plants. I am going to try to restrict my self to just buying a few things locally, like annuals for pots and some herbs. (But I often find things that I like, and like ontheteam buy impulsively, so I often bring things home without a place to put them.)

This post was edited by nhbabs on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 21:28

• muffin1358
    9 years ago

For those looking for Arborvitae...I know nothing about different types but the Arbor Day Foundation has them for $4.00-$9.00.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arbor Day Foundation - ordering trees

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

My goodness, if you like a sweet fragrance that fills the air, then you must own a Viscosum Azalea....

I have 4 along with 4 Vibernums...

On my list is a couple of blueberry bushes and maybe a couple of unusual bright Hosta for those dark places in the yard..

Thank God it's going to really feel like spring tomorrow..I wonder how many here besides me spend all day in the yard with that warm sun until it finally sets like me.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

My goodness, if you like a sweet fragrance that fills the air, then you must own a Viscosum Azalea....

I have 4 along with 4 Vibernums...

On my list is a couple of blueberry bushes and maybe a couple of unusual bright Hosta for those dark places in the yard..

Thank God it's going to really feel like spring tomorrow..I wonder how many here besides me spend all day in the yard with that warm sun until it finally sets like me.

Mike