Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Day of Spring 2013

Posted by tmc2009 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 14:23

According to the calendar it's the first day of spring. I'm not really feeling it.

Here is a link that might be useful: First Day of Spring 2013

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Day of Spring 2013

This morning, when I opened up the bedroom drapes, I was almost blinded by the bright sunlight reflecting off the snow cover.

Not really the right spring vibe.

o

This morning I went out to give the birds a little food. I crunched through snow across the deck and there was crusty snow all over the feeders. It was freezing, the wind chill was at least in the 20s. Can't see the ground anywhere, except a bit right next to the house foundation. The sun is super bright when there's complete snow cover this time of year which is blinding. I'm not feeling the Spring vibe today either!

o

Spring? What's that???

Photobucket

o

A year ago today the wood frogs were actively "quacking" in our pond. Today the pond is iced- over with a blanket of 20" of snow.

o

We feel sorry for the wild turkeys. A group of 5 came out of the woods and started hurrying toward our feeders then started flying. They rarely fly so this was a treat for us. We wonder how their legs and feet keep from freezing. I did have a crocus blooming next to the house but it's under snow now. I had forgotten we had a heat wave last year about this time. A friend said she planted her peas a year ago. Maybe next week it will be spring.

o

Snow flurries out my window as I sit here reading this thread>>>> winter's "last hurrah"?

o

• Posted by corunum CT 6 Central CT (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 18:19

We may have become a tad too litigious, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Vs. Phil

o

Some hopeful news--the temperature outlook for the rest of spring indicated a good chance of warmer than normal for New England.

o

Er-- I'm squinting at the border of dark orange (higher than normal) and light orange (normal) and it seems that Rhode Island is going to be normal. --"Normal" for RI'ers is sub-, ab-, and possibly meta-trans-octo-normal for other NE'ers.

Carol

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 9:18

And, first thing this morning on the THIRD day of spring, I saw out my kitchen window at least 6 inches of "spring wonderland".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It's light and fluffy and not too bad to shovel.

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here