Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Plant Spring Bulbs & Roots

Posted by evonnestoryteller 5-6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 08 at 14:23

I purchased a variety of spring bulbs. When can I start planting them?

Bulbs I have:
Crocosmia
Oxalis
Ranunculus
Rain Lilies

Roots:
Astible
McKana Giants

Also with the columbine, I have problems with leaf miners. Is there any way to knock them out early in the season? Every columbine seems to get them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Plant Spring Bulbs & Roots

I'd pot up the astilbe and let it grow indoors until the ground is a little warmer. Sorry, I don't know what McKana Giants are and have not grown any of the others except crocosmia - not sure exactly when I planted that one. Ranunculus are not really hardy, I'd pot them up too to get as long a growing season as possible, and move them into the ground (if that's what you plan to do) when the soil's warm.

o

Rain Lilies are Zone 8-10 so they can't take any frost or freezing temperatures. I grew them last year in a pot. I started mine in April inside.

It is still very cold outside nights (in my area at least) also the ground is still frozen and unworkable.

o

McKanna Giants are a type of Colombine.

Thanks for the tips! I will wait awhile before I plant. I have a little plastic greenhouse that I get things going in early, so perhaps in May I can start them in there.

o

Oxalis may or may not return in my Zone 6 yard. It is easy to quickly dig up, allow to dry off and simply store as is for the winter. Easy to plant out directly in the ground again in warmer weather. Your stock will increase year by year.

o

last year I planted all of my summer bulbs on Mothers day weekend...per the recommendation of the man at the nursery. I agree that I would do the astilbe in a pot, and wait till the ground warms to plant anything outside. The columbine will be ok planted in April..

I have had a hard time with Ranunculus in this area..I was told it might be better to grow inside in a pot.
Good luck with them, sounds like a nice selection !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here