Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - I found tar in a new garden

Posted by RxPhoto none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 14:31

Hi, I'm new here, I have a problem and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm starting a new garden and while turning the soil amongst layers of large rocks I found a mass of black coal-like stuff. When warmed in the sun the pieces smelled like asphalt tar. All and all I think I dug out about 10-15 pounds of the stuff.

My property is pretty old, at one time it was the lone farm house on the street that ran a farm. I'm worried that the soil in my garden plot is possibly tainted and unusable for gardening at all.

Any advice is welcome, at this point I'm not really sure what to do next.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - I found tar in a new garden

I wouldn't worry about it if you are planting flowers. If you are putting in a vegetable garden, I'd choose another place. Who knows what else got dumped there besides rock and tar. Some substances get taken up by the plants that you'd rather not be eating. For instance, I don't grow food plants near my old farmhouse since I know there must be a good amount of lead in the soil from house paint. My veggie garden is a bit away from the house. Ornamentals grow fine there, however.

o

Contaminated soil can be a serious concern, you may want to have a soil test done by a qualified lab.
The other option is raised beds. The soil should be deep enough so plant roots won't reach into the old soil.

If your in Mass and you buy commercially made compost make sure they are state permitted or licensed by DEP.
The pile has to be tested every other year. I don't know what contaminants there looking for in the tests but why not be safe.
Now start your own compost pile, you'll know for sure.

Ron

o

The only contaminant that is tested in a basic soil test is lead. Otherwise what you get is percent organic matter, pH, and nutrients (macro and micro). You can get tests for heavy metals and other contaminants, but they are very expensive. As long as you are planting ornamentals you should be fine.

Steve

o

Thanks everyone. Yes, it is supposed to be vegetable garden and unfortunately the only place i have available to do so. I am planning on putting in raised beds and bringing in new soil to mix in with my huge compost pile. I took out every thing i could find and then covered the spot with fresh soil. the spot is about three feet below level ground. Also I have a friend that's a landscape architect at a local school so I'm going to see if he can do a test for me at the school's lab.

It really makes me sad to see what people used to do to their land and the complete disregard for the environment that they live in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here