Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

What's up with this error on forum pages?

bill_ri_z6b
12 years ago

I've seen where several people on the "Roses" forum and elsewhere have been getting this annoying message after quite a delay in pages loading. Doesn't seem to matter much where you are navigating from or to, nor whether you use IE or Firefox, etc. Has anyone else gotten this message?

{{gwi:1062854}}

It doesn't happen on any other websites, and that is my experience and reported by others as well. I hope they fix it soon. It makes this site almost unusable.

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (13)

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Yep, getting it every time the page loads. I think it is related to the ads running on the right hand side -- they are using scripts for the animation and it's my bet that's the problem. But I agree -- it makes the forum almost unusable. Hopefully someone at gardenweb will see complaints and dump this stuff. I don't mind ads over there ... but I'm running up to date browsers, OS, etc. and I don't expect problems like this!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

nothing here with AdBlocker Plus. No ads, no bugs.

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

It happens all the time on facebook. More and more websites are running scripts, often for the purpose of connecting to cell phones and mobile devices, with the frustrating result of your computer freezing up. Apparently i village has jumped on this bandwagon.

This message is a safeguard of internet explorer or othwer similar operating system, allowing you to shut down the annoying script after your system has struggled with it for x number of minutes. Click "stop script." Unfortunately that will only correct the problem until the script is reactivated.

I really wish IE would install software allowing the operator to disable such scripts permanently so they do not ever run again!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Adblock gets rid of it. Blocking the page blocks the script.

I think I'm blocking everything from http://graphics.gardenweb.com right now, after a couple of days of having problems with slow loading of the regular pictures. Makes life much easier.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

I don't have the problem here, but it's easy to complain directly to GW. Just go to the 'Contact Us' button at the bottom of this page. They may not monitor forums regularly, but they do respond to direct emails.

Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For now I've disabled Javascripts and the problem went away. I think I have noticed this problem had started a few days ago, when I started seeing the "Ads by Google" message after the 6th member-posted message in any forum. Maybe that has caused some weirdness.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I switched browsers from Firefox to Safari and the problem went away. Garden Web ads are so intrusive. It's really annoying.

Steve

• molie
    12 years ago

Bill, I've been seeing 'Ads by Google' recently embedded here in the New England Gardening thread; in fact, there's one right above your post on Sun, March, 18.

Annoying for sure but not that intrusive yet. I treat them in the same way way I treat the marketing phone calls I get at dinner and just ignore them. I sometimes wonder about the mindset of the people who create these ads. I think it's a 'spitting into the wind' kind of mentality. They think they'll get one bite out of the thousands who see the ad. Like those funny ads that claim 'a woman in (your town goes here) has found the secret to eliminating wrinkles.'

Molie

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

It's funny. I don't have any problem (yet) with gardenwebs, and I have really old software on an ancient computer. But on facebook and some commercial websites, I have a big problem with scripts that IE can't process.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Molie,
    I don't necessarily mind the ads (after all this is a free site). I only mentioned the embedded ones - such as the one you mentioned - because it seems that since they've been appearing below the first few posts (something I've never seen here before), is when these script errors started to appear as well. So I thought there might be a correlation. Either way, I hope they fix it soon!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Safari has an option under Preferences to enable or disable plugins. When I am on GW I disable so that the ads don't move, and it loads faster as I have a medium speed connection. I haven't had script problems, but if I do I also have the option to disable Java and JavaScript.

I am currently finding the ads by google after the 6th posting annoying, but suppose I will learn to ignore it as I do other ads.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

There's now a link in red at the top of the forum with a work-around while they try to fix it.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well it seems that they fixed it as of today.......glad for that!