Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sportyredsaab

Annuals that do well in Northern New Hampshire

sportyredsaab
10 years ago

Hi there,

This is my second season attempting to start plants from seeds. Last year I grew zinnia, bachelor buttons, marigolds, forget-me-nots, snap-dragons, and portulacas from seed. I started them under lights in my basement, then transplanted on May 30th. The snap-dragons and portulacas did awful, and the others finally flowered but not until mid-August. Admittedly, it was a cold, wet summer and other gardeners in the area told me their plants did not do well.

Any advice on what flowers would do well in my 4a growing region? I also tend to have a lot of partial shade on my property.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Granted I'm a couple of zones warmer than you but I'm still in New England. I suggest you check out Swallowtail Garden Seeds website for ideas that will meet your requirements.

Another suggestion is that you winter sow the seeds in recycled containers. Winter sowing is a USDA sanctioned method of growing from seed. There is a winter sowing forum here on GardenWeb where you can check out the FAQs, get ideas/suggestions, ask questions & generally learn as much as you need to know about growing healthy annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs & vegetables from seed without grow lights in your basement.

There's also a GW seed exchange forum where you can trade for seeds rather that buying commercial seeds.

Here are a few perennials (I don't bother with annuals) I grew from seed via winter sowing in 2012:

Lobelia cardinalis/cardinal flower
    {{gwi:1063133}}

Gaura lindheimeri/wandflower
    {{gwi:199144}}

Catananche caerulea/Cupid's dart
    {{gwi:417570}}

Echinacea purpurea/purple coneflower
    {{gwi:199152}}

Blanket flower & bee
    {{gwi:1063136}}

Gaillardia/blanket flower (species)
    {{gwi:437448}}

{{gwi:199158}}

• defrost49
    10 years ago

You might find the forget-me-knots self seeded. I used to garden with a lot of partial shade and had a lot of frustration because I kept trying to grow things that needed more sun.
    I'm closer to Concord NH. I remember going on a garden tour in the Tamworth/Center Sandwich area one year. One of the homeowners said they had 22 less growing days than when she lived in Nashua. I saw raised beds edged with stone to help hold heat.

Calendula (pot marigold) self seeds for me. I have anise hyssop that seems to do ok in partial shade part of the day and self sows. Last year I grew lemon gem tagetes marigold because they are hard to find at nurseries. I love the lemon scented foliage and plant them among my green peppers.

After looking at a listing of annuals for part-shade, I think there aren't many. I would suggest switching to some perennials such as hosta, lilies, bleeding heart. Sweet cicely is an heart but has pretty foliage. I tuck nursery bought impatiens in for color.

• sportyredsaab
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I ended up researching shade-growing annuals and have started some pansies, violas, impatiens, coleus, and nasturtiums from seed. The marigolds did well last year so I am doing those too. We'll see how it goes!