Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annuals that do well in Northern New Hampshire

Posted by sportyredsaab 4a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 15:48

Hi there,

This is my second season attempting to start plants from seeds. Last year I grew zinnia, bachelor buttons, marigolds, forget-me-nots, snap-dragons, and portulacas from seed. I started them under lights in my basement, then transplanted on May 30th. The snap-dragons and portulacas did awful, and the others finally flowered but not until mid-August. Admittedly, it was a cold, wet summer and other gardeners in the area told me their plants did not do well.

Any advice on what flowers would do well in my 4a growing region? I also tend to have a lot of partial shade on my property.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annuals that do well in Northern New Hampshire

Granted I'm a couple of zones warmer than you but I'm still in New England. I suggest you check out Swallowtail Garden Seeds website for ideas that will meet your requirements.

Another suggestion is that you winter sow the seeds in recycled containers. Winter sowing is a USDA sanctioned method of growing from seed. There is a winter sowing forum here on GardenWeb where you can check out the FAQs, get ideas/suggestions, ask questions & generally learn as much as you need to know about growing healthy annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs & vegetables from seed without grow lights in your basement.

There's also a GW seed exchange forum where you can trade for seeds rather that buying commercial seeds.

Here are a few perennials (I don't bother with annuals) I grew from seed via winter sowing in 2012:

Lobelia cardinalis/cardinal flower

Gaura lindheimeri/wandflower

Catananche caerulea/Cupid's dart

Echinacea purpurea/purple coneflower

Blanket flower & bee

Gaillardia/blanket flower (species)

o

You might find the forget-me-knots self seeded. I used to garden with a lot of partial shade and had a lot of frustration because I kept trying to grow things that needed more sun.
I'm closer to Concord NH. I remember going on a garden tour in the Tamworth/Center Sandwich area one year. One of the homeowners said they had 22 less growing days than when she lived in Nashua. I saw raised beds edged with stone to help hold heat.

Calendula (pot marigold) self seeds for me. I have anise hyssop that seems to do ok in partial shade part of the day and self sows. Last year I grew lemon gem tagetes marigold because they are hard to find at nurseries. I love the lemon scented foliage and plant them among my green peppers.

After looking at a listing of annuals for part-shade, I think there aren't many. I would suggest switching to some perennials such as hosta, lilies, bleeding heart. Sweet cicely is an heart but has pretty foliage. I tuck nursery bought impatiens in for color.

o

Thanks for the advice! I ended up researching shade-growing annuals and have started some pansies, violas, impatiens, coleus, and nasturtiums from seed. The marigolds did well last year so I am doing those too. We'll see how it goes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here