Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello, re-intro and Seedling ID question

Posted by starsplitter 4/5 New Eng (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 15:52

Hello forum members,

I have not posted to GW for a long while, but have recently been perusing the New England Gardening and Winter Sowing forums.

I would like help identifying a seedling (now about 5" tall).
I will try to link some pics. I emerged from a little pot with previously used potting mix in it when I was attempting to root some store-bought cilantro (root section). The stem is round and has some hairs. No odor or fragrance. Maybe zinnia? salvia (but no odor). The cilantro died because I forgot to water it, but some seed from last summer woke up and grew. It looks so darn familiar to me, but I can't place it. Maybe it's a weed ;)

I have been tinkering around w gardens and landscaping for years now but have many other interests. I do a lot of cooking, and Southeast Asian cooking.

I am Looking forward to reconnecting and sharing.
(I am including the seedling from the top. The leaves are opposite. It appears I can only include a single photo.)

Thanks for any tips or ID on this one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello, re-intro and Seedling ID question

Looks like snapdragon to me.

o

Good call madgallica, I second the snapdragon.

o

Thanks so much, madgallica and bebe. That's got to be it.

Maybe I'll ask about the no ID delicious green when ripe tomato. I got that plant in a six pack of heirloom tomatoes.

o

Welcome back!

My snapdragons' foliage is usually very glossy, almost waxy - never hairy. You might try posting this on the 'name that plant' forum - I've had really good luck there.

o

Is calendula a possibility?

o

Any chance it's a sunflower?

o

Looks like a sunflower to me. We get lots of those seedlings in summer after the birds scatter feeder contents all winter.

Carol

o

Wow, you are all such helpful troubleshooters.

I've been checking out your suggestions and I am amazed at how alike some plants can look early on, even after the seed leaves.

Carol6ma -- I think it could very well be a sunflower. We feed BOS to the birds until late spring (and not until the cold weather as last year a black bear came to raid the feeder). Now I will have to be sure it survives, so that I can see what it is. I also had some snapdragons in the area last summer, but diggingthedirt, I see what you mean about the foliage on that.
Thanks again, everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here