Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boring

Posted by runktrun z7a MA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 15:55

While beginning my spring clean up I have discovered a boring insect has wreaked havoc in my landscape as noted in some of the photos below. These shrubs were scattered throughout my property so it appears this is a wide spread problem. I have been poking through my insect books as well as notes from UMass Extension and have come up empty handed. There are multiple boring suspects and I am not sure even if I identify the culprit if there will be a solution. Has anyone had a similar problem?

The Viburnums might be a different issue but these were mature plantings that were not under any type of stress. Any advise on how to do an autopsy?

Photobucket

Tree Peony *note holes bored into branch

Photobucket

Acer palmatum 'Waterfall' *note holes bored into trunk

Photobucket

Viburnum x burkwoodii *trunk did not note bored holes.

Photobucket

black pine insect bored into trunk

Photobucket

Viburnum dilatatum note rotting-splitting trunk without signs of boring

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boring

Dear KT -

Nice to see you here, but I'm so sorry about the boring damage. Could someone from the arboretum help? or coop extension?

What diameter are the holes? It seems ike whatever it is has pretty broad appetites.

o

what a mess! Could be multiple problems. The burkwoodi trunk looks a little bit like my V. burkwoodi 'Mohawk' death a few years back. I never did get a conclusive answer, but the plant had been in decline the previous year. Then the next spring, blech. I feel your pain.

looks like viburnum borer

Maybe you could bring some samples to a high-end garden center for id?

Otherwise, just think of the opportunities for new plants -- although admittedly a mature garden doesn't take well to big gaps like that.

Can you cut below the holes to save anything?

I once saved a Blue Spruce from a borer that was in the leader. I cut the leader off well below the observed hole and started to train a new leader. I treated with Merit Tree & Shrub soil drench to get the borer or young'uns left behind. All's well. Some references say you can (should?) find the borer with a wire or something to remove it.

o

It could be a rose borer going after your tree peonies. Those nasty guys can do a number on not only roses, but peonies as well.

You can find some great info about local invasive species on the Massachusetts Introduced Pests Outreach Project website: http://massnrc.org/pests/index.htm.

You can find the Fact Sheets here: http://massnrc.org/pests/factsheets.htm

There's info on the pine shoot borer and other pests in there. It doesn't look like it's been updated recently, but I'm sure all the material on there still applies.

Good luck!!

o

There are so many borers that it's hard to know which one might do that. I thought of Vibrunum borers, but the shape of the hole looks different to me. Try the Massachusetts Master Gardeners Help Line. You can email them and send the pictures. The address is: mghelpline@masshort.org Or you can call at 617-933-4929

They're open Wednesdays, and Fridays at this time of year.

Steve

o

Thank you so very much for the advise. I spent a good amount of time investigating your suggested sites which were very informative. But alas after much investigation I have yet to really narrow it down as my reported local troublemakers don't seem to be the culprits and it appears that although there are many borers in the insect family many tend to behave in similar patterns (at least to the novice).
I do have a couple of gaping holes in my landscape but I am looking froward to choosing some new plants. kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here