Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ri_mike

Backyard Plant Sales

RI-Mike
11 years ago

I'm debating on having a backyard plant sale as I just built a hoop house last fall, have quite a few perennials to divide, plenty of vegetable and annual seedlings growing and in general, just enjoy growing stuff.

Wondering what some experiences are out there of backyard plant sales you have visited. I'd figure I'd advertise on Craigslist and see how it goes. I'm not looking to get rich, but maybe make enough to buy a few new perennials and exchange gardening ideas with locals in the area.

Comments (15)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I attend a backyard plant sale every year that has been going on for many years. It is organized by three sisters and has grown to include other gardeners who attend with their own plants to sell. It is very popular every year. The prices are very reasonable for divisions of plants from these home gardeners. They don't advertise, it is pretty much word of mouth and their own website that details when and where and provides a list of expected plants for that year as the date approaches. I wouldn't miss it. I've never received a diseased plant either. Recently, there has been more and more home gardeners offering their plants so there is quite a broad selection to choose from.

• diggingthedirt
    11 years ago

Is that the famous Sisters' Plant sale, in Reading, MA? I've been meaning to go for years, but haven't made it yet. It's May 18 & 19, with leftovers (self serve) for 2 days after that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sisters Plant Sale

• timbz6
    11 years ago

I'm up for trading Mike. Set up a date and I'll bring some plants too.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll make a go of it. I've got close to 30 empty hanging baskets I can make up along with who knows what else.

Can hurt to try I suppose. I'll post when I have a date figured out.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

DtD, yes, it is the Sister's Plant Sale. If you're ever in this neck of the woods on that weekend, it's a good resource. Obviously, not like the offerings at a Botanical Gardening sale, but interesting collections and the basics at reasonable prices.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Mike - Any photos of your hoop house?

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just put some in an album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoop House Photos

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mike. It looks like a nice set-up! It should help to extend the season on both ends.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I took a look at it too. VERY nice set up! Good luck with it!. With this crazy weather, makes a lot of sense to have one.

• molie
    11 years ago

Oh, boy, Mike! That looks like the "beginning" of something big for ---- wonder what this same album will look like after several seasons? ;-)

You've created a great set up there -- I'm more than a bit jealous. And I sure do admire your intentions. Good luck!

Molie

• blowell
    11 years ago

Wow Mike, very nicely done! If I may ask, what are the dimensions, and where did you get the hoops?
    Bob.

• RI-Mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks and I'm glad everyone likes it. It's filling up faster than I thought it would.

Bob,

Here is where I bought the bender. http://www.hoopbenders.net/
    Dimensions are 18' long X 10' wide. I just ran into another issue this past week. It's too small as my plan to have 10 tomatoes down the center wont work out as there just isn't enough room. Unless of course I don't use the door and crawl under the roll up sides to get in, which I am considering.

• blowell
    11 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. If you lived closer, I'd ask if I could rent them from you LOL. Good luck with the planting.
    Bob

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Mike, maybe you could still put your tomatoes down the center and just leave one less plant close to the entry so there's enough room to enter? Tomatoes are space hogs for sure. What about planting smaller plants? I've used 3ft tall plants for a certain application that worked out well the last two years.

• defrost49
    11 years ago

I buy tomato and pepper plants from a backyard gardener. She puts one ad in the NH Farmers Weekly Bulletin and keeps a mailing list. She also offers a small selection of annuals and other vegetable plants but her list of tomato and pepper varieties is extensive. I like being able to buy a single plant so I can get three different paste tomatoes, for example. She takes orders and then pickup is on two consecutive weekends. She sells the rest via the farmers market. Her neighbors are not happy with the traffic although when I've gone for pickup, I've been the only one there.