Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Lily Leaf Beetles -- Early Soil Treatment?

Posted by davidl_ny5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 16:19

Just getting ready, haven't seen any yet. But we had our first last year, and I want to get at them early if any return. Seems to me some people had a soil treatment that they used in the early Spring to stop over-wintering bugs in the soil. Does anyone have such a method? Otherwise I'll just use my hands and neem oil again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Lily Leaf Beetles -- Early Soil Treatment?

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 17:31

One such method is the soil drench containing imidacloprid which is poured into the soil and kills the adults before they emerge. I think Bayer makes a product which also contains fertilizer which would be good in the springtime.

See UMass Extension Fact Sheet on Lily Leaf Beetle.

Also see our FAQ How do I keep the red lily leaf beetle from destroying my lilies?

If you're in NY, you may be in the early stages of the lily leaf beetle invasion. Here in MA, we're beginning to see effects from the release of parasitic flies that kill the beetles. If you're willing to use imidacloprid or spinosad you can probably control the infection (unless your neighborhood is overrun with the little red monsters).

Claire

o

I drench the soil with Bayer 3 in 1 for roses. I don't use any other pesticides in my garden, but hate those lily leaf beetles! The Bayer really works...I use it a couple of times in the spring on the lilies and that's it for the season.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I've just got an isolated stand of Canada lilies (or two stands, really, one didn't get infected last year) not far from Great Barrington. Manual removal kept them from being totally eaten by the beetles last year, so I hope some early treatment will do the same this year, and maybe save me some time in removing the pests.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 11:41

Your situation sounds very manageable to me.

Back when the beetles first started ravaging lilies in MA, I was living in NYC and gardening in MA; coming up every 1 1/2 to 2 months. I first saw the beetles just before I left and I sprayed everything with a Bayer's product (Advanced Flower and Rose spray or something like that) and drove off. No one here to care for them.

About a month and a half later I drove back to MA expecting to find demolished lilies, but they were all fine. After that I just sprayed them whenever I was here and they all survived. I live here now and the beetles are pretty much under control, probably by the parasitic flies, so I rarely have to spray now.

Whatever you use, be sure to follow the directions and don't apply if beneficial bugs, like bees, are around.

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here