Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_schluter

Help! Lost my planting plans!!!!

Scott Schluter
13 years ago

Arggggg! I bought all my seeds and planned out my planting dates using by the moon and weeks before/after frost....and my computer died!!!! All that work gone!!!!

Any kind soul out there in my area or similar zone who has their plan together be able to help me? I hope to be up and running and get my data off the old hard drive before late spring planting, but may be back here again.

I am @ zip code 02538, zone 6-7, and I do lasagna gardening in 5 year old beds.

These are my early plantings and my guesses (I'll forget about moon planting this year unless someone else in my area has that):

Outside:

Spinach - first planting now

Beets

Lettuce - first planting now

Kholrabi

Peas

Tatsoi - first planting now

Carrots - when the lilacs start showing leaf buds

Cilantro

Salsify

Swiss Chard

Lupine - now

Kale - now

Inside:

Asparagus (seed) - now

Celeriac - now

TIA!

Comments (11)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I am in zone 6a, I am ready to plant spinach, beets, peas direct sown. I have already winter sown, Kale, Swiss Chard and Lettuce, which hasn't germinated yet. I do have Bok Choy sprouts already from winter sowing. Lupine is a seed I have winter sown with success. I don't grow the others. Hope that helps some.

• Scott Schluter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! Looks like I'll be out this afernoon doing my spinach, bees, peas, kale, chard, lettuce, tatsoi, and lupine. I'll hold off on others unless I find reason for those starting now. I did celeriac last night and will do asparagus today; both are indoor starts.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

I just ran into this John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds Seed-Starting Timetables. Maybe this will be helpful.

Claire

• Scott Schluter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Claire, it was. I planted the following on March 20:

Spinach
    Beets
    Lettuces
    Peas
    Swiss Chard
    Kale

I haven't seen any sprouting yet and it, of course, got really cold again. Would the seeds just hold back and sprout once things warm back up again or would the cold kill the seeds?

• Scott Schluter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everything is starting to pop up so looks like I was ok. Figured out all my other start dates.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Glad to hear it. Give us an update and post photos sometime if you get a chance. :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Thought this link would be useful....

You're doing great, daddymem. I've planted peas twice and haven't seen a sprout yet. Love those huge leaves on what I assume are Loofah plants? Never saw anything that square and large. Very interesting. Enjoyed looking around at your garden expansion photos too. Seaweed, huh? Do you wash off the salt really well? I have a new raised veggie bed that I'm going to be filling with lasagna layers soon, I might try to find some seaweed to put a little layer in. Thanks for the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daddymem's Garden Photos

• Scott Schluter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!
    Yes, the big leaves are loofas. Last of the seeds I bought 4 years ago...have never gotten one sponge yet. Maybe this year....

I do nothing to the seaweed except cover it with leaves, mulch, etc to keep the smell down. Salt content isn't very high actually. Mineral content is though and that's a good thing. It also holds water great. I get worms like snakes in there. When I stand too long picking veggies they come up and crawl around my bare feet.

I wish I could show the soil in my older beds. I literally built my soil. It's like beautiful loam with lots of organic content.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I spent some time on your blog this morning. Looks like you are really enjoying your garden. I hope you have a better gardening season than last year. Congratulations on your great news on the health front!

Are you in zone 6? I will have to find a place to collect some seaweed. It's okay to take it off a beach, right? Your soil sounds amazing. I added a 10 inch layer of chopped up leaves to my veggie beds last fall and I'm also seeing a lot more worms but they are still tiny, like baby worms. I also did a lasagna layer in our front yard last fall to extend a perennial bed. I can barely remember what it was like to actually remove sod and turn over soil for garden beds. SO much easier and better results.

• Scott Schluter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, we have fun with it. Hard to believe coming up on a year since cancer.

I'm zone 6/7. You have to check with the Harbor Master and/or Conservation Commission for the Town you take the seaweed from. Some do not allow you to remove it from the beach. My town is fine with it as they remove it for the beach anyways, I just have to keep machinery and vehicles off the beach and they are ok, so wheelbarrow and pitchforks.

In the spring the baby worms are all over the place in my beds too. And even more in the bottom of my composter.