Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Somebody has eaten my rose canes!!

Posted by tulipsmiles 6 South of Boston (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 16:48

During this beautiful weather we are having I went outside to investigate my roses and see how they held up over winter. I was quite surprised to find this damage! Can anyone tell me who / what ate these canes? Is it bunnies? Some nibbling was up quite high...
Also, What can I do to help my poor roses recoup? They have done this to a hedge of about 12 roses.
Thanks!
Tulipsmiles

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Somebody has eaten my rose canes!!

It could be rabbits but it could also be deer. I have seen both eating my roses several times including the ones with an abundance of thorns. Eating those would be like eating broken glass but the thorns don't seem to be a deterrent. I never cease to be amazed at what deer can eat.

o

I once had deer eat an heirloom rose who thorns were so long and densely packed as to be a shoo-in winner of the win the Morticia Aadams Horticulture Rose Trophy. I was amazed and still wonder over the logistics of even taking a singe bite of such a specimen!

o

In my yard I am seeing similar damage as the rose by the front door emerges from its snow bank. Also emerging from the snow back are vole tunnels, so I know who has done my nibbling. If you see sort of mouse-sized trenches in your mulch, you may have voles also. (Though I suppose it is possible that mice followed the vole trenches.) The teeth marks visible on your rose canes look pretty small, so I would imagine not rabbits. If these were buried in snow at some point this winter, the higher chewing may just be because the critters burrowed up through the snow.

I just prune below the chewing. Roses will regrow the canes pretty quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here