Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timbz6

More snow coming........

timbz6
11 years ago

looks like spring is pushed back.....more snow.

Comments (33)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-!!!!!!!!!

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 18:26

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

Not THAT much, Tim. Weathertvguys are saying 4-8 in Boston area, less with rain mixed, on south coast. DC may get hit heavier with this storm. Delaying the crape myrtles.... :)

Carol

• molie
    11 years ago

Hope it's just rain here along the coast. If not, then at least a smidge of snow that will soon melt.

I am DONE with winter!

• timbz6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just checked our local TV channel 10 snow map.....they don't show much snow for the Cape area too. We'll see who's forecast is more accurate.

• timbz6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's channel 12 forecast.......who everyone is predicting different amounts.......only time will tell.

11 years ago

Ah, someone else who shops around until they find a forecast they like. Of the three options; 0 inches, 2-4 inches or 6-8 inches, I'll take the 0, thank you very much.

I'm trying to decide whether to reschedule a Friday morning appointment...

Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    11 years ago

Anything above 0 inches in unacceptable!

I have become spoiled with having milder winters, so now I can't handle a typical New England one.................although I think 'Nemo' gave us the most snow in one storm since the great blizzard of '78. But at least we didn't get temperatures near or below zero, at least here in Providence.

So this is March, eh?

{{gwi:5901}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

We've been getting rain so far this morning and I see in the forecast it's going to be in the 50s, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday! I've barely walked around the garden this winter, which is very unusual for me, now I have to get out there and finish my pruning and see what's going on.

Two more weeks and Spring will be officially here! January and February went by so fast for me, I don't even feel like I've had to wait for spring at all. I haven't made one garden plan or looked at one catalog. Lots to clean up out there, better get crack'in.

Hope we all get RAIN!

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 7:02

11 years ago

brewed the extra pot of coffee for the refrigerator, again....

safed up the wind toys on the deck, again....

checked the people food and critter food supplies, again....

car is backed in so I can go out headfirst if it's slippery, again....

all battery and/or crank-operated emergency gadgets are in order, again....

too early to reschedule the Friday morning appointment.

Claire (cranky, again....)

• timbz6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

snow lovers may like this snow forecast......20"+ for SE New England in the dark purple area....LOL The forecasts are 'all over the place' with this storm.

11 years ago

The National Weather Service Area Discussion out of Tauntion, MA has been including a big bust forecast potential for the last week.

The 1110 am EST Wednesday Mar 6 2013 discussion says:

"Despite 00z model mass fields in good agreement there are large differences in model quantitative precipitation forecast and thermal parameters. As a result this
    leads to forecast uncertainty especially regarding snowfall
    potential. Hence big bust potential."

and further:

"Unfortunately a slight adjustment of 100 miles may make a huge difference and in fact the new 03z sref has shifted about 50 miles farther southeast! Not surprising given the strength of the downstream block. Thus we need keep our options open for a possible farther southeast track with heavy quantitative precipitation forecast just swiping
    southeast Massachusetts. Hence...still big bust potential with this forecast. "

I enjoy reading these discussions where the forecasters are honest about the problems with the models and the projections.

Of course, that doesn't mean that we won't get clobbered, just that we might not. Stay tuned.

Claire

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

And here I am just returned from shopping for chili con carne ingredients and other blizzard cuisine. Might not need it, eh? But we plan to drive to our RI place to clean the garden on Sunday, which will be the FIRST DAY OF DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME, don't forget!

Carol

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Oh, is Daylight Savings this early? Excellent!

We just had a little burst of hail and a drop in temperature here. But it's such an odd day. Windy, gray, wet, then hail and 20m later, the sun came out for a few minutes and it started snowing, now back to rain and dark. Good day to be indoors looking out the window, with a hot cup of tea.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

It does look like the heavy snow will fall further south. The prediction for my area of Vermont is possible 2-4" on Thursday Night, and it looks like light snow over most of New England.

I agree that 0" would be the right amount of snow!

11 years ago

It does seem to be shaping up into a MA/RI event mostly. With the talk of heavy, wet snow and rain/snow mix, I'm envisioning cupfuls, maybe bucketfuls, of slush falling directly out of the clouds and splattering all over the place.

I'm getting automated messages by phone and email from the county, warning of coastal flooding and erosion.

The mention above of chili con carne reminded me that my usual winter storm mainstay of leftover Halloween candy is now long gone (no way will Halloween candy make it into March).

However, it's Girl Scout Cookie season! By chance, my dentist sells Girl Scout Cookies (theoretically his daughter's project) and they got me at my latest teeth cleaning appointment.

And if they're gone, there's always Cadbury Creme Eggs to eat during the storm.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 20:32

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

Your dentist sells Girl Scout cookies? Is he trying to create more dental business? We used to know a dentist who gave out caramels and Sugar Daddies to the kids....

Carol

11 years ago

I think my dentist is more of a doting father than a modern day Machiavelli. Besides he has lovely orchids and sailing pictures in his office.

I just noticed that the first NOAA Storm Total Snow Forecast link has gotten much more benign! That scary pinkish lavender 8 to 10 inch center is gone completely (it's been shrinking for a while). My section of Plymouth is on the cusp of 1-2 inches or maybe even none, if you squint.

I like this trend!

Claire

• WendyB 5A/MA
    11 years ago

:-)

11 years ago

wendyb expresses the prevailing attitude very well - enough, already!

The NOAA map is backtracking and my area has moved up to 2 - 4 inches forecast.

The 5:10 am EST Thursday Mar 7 2013 Area forecast discussion from National Weather Service Taunton Ma admits:

"A very difficult and low confidence snowfall forecast has been issued through Friday morning for southern New England."

Light rain and very windy here in the south end of Plymouth.

Claire

11 years ago

7 am NWS Area Forecast Discussion update:

"As previous forecasters have noted big bust potential continues given marginal temperatures and snowfall hinging on heavy precipitation/dynamical cooling. Next shift will have to monitor southeast Massachusetts for potential higher snowfall totals given this is the area prognosticated to receive greatest quantitative precipitation forecast. However if and when precipitation slackens ptype may go over to a mix of rain/snow. In addition snow will struggle to accumulate /esp on paved sfcs/ if temperatures even rise just a few degrees today...which won't be difficult given the increasing March sun angle. However heavy precipitation can overcome this. Thus will have to monitor ptype and accumulations towards the canal and along Plymouth County coast. "

I'm glad I'm not paid to forecast the weather. This would be a good week to call in sick.

Claire

• molie
    11 years ago

Love the map, Wendy! Though I'm in the WHATEVER zone, I'm NOT in Florida.

Weather forecast for the weekend---- temps in high 40s! Don't know whether to fire up the snowblower or mix up a pitcher of margaritas.

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

Margaritas, Molie...never question it, just do it. The forecasted 3"-5" for us, is now about 13" and climbing. We got the Boston amount on Wendy's map, which, BTW, sums it up perfectly. Glad to still have power. Jane

• tree_oracle
    11 years ago

Boy, they blew this forecast big time. It was supposed to be all rain south of Boston as of yesterday and this morning it's a winter wonderland with snow still coming down at a furious pace, high winds, etc.

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

Just looked at the webcams in Fall River and the traffic cams where Rt. 24 crosses under Main Road. Roads clear but plenty of snow on ground. So I'm thinking, scrap our plans to clean up our RI garden this coming Sunday. I don't think this snow will all melt away by then. Oh well, another week of insulated garden beds.

Carol

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

It looks like we have about six inches of wet, heavy snow. Our snowblower doesn't deal well with sloppy stuff, so the shovels will have to come out.

We have pizza supplies, and I've decided to try something new - homemade orange marmalade. That should keep us busy for a while.

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

16" as of 10:30am. and it's still snowing. sigh... so where are the margaritas, Molie?

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

It looks like you really got hammered, Jane! I guess the snow must have taken a southeastern track.

We have what looks like 3 or 4 inches here, but enough to necessitate shovelling and snowblowing. I'm hoping the snowblower will be able to deal with it, because my impression from sweeping the steps and seeing the dogs come in with it sticking to their fur, is that it is the heavy, wet variety.

• bill_ri_z6b
    11 years ago

Looks like no more than about two inches on the ground, although it may have actually been more that's fallen, but it's melting somewhat from below. It's been snizzling (my word: =drizzling snow) all morning, but no additional accumulation.
    Now where's the sun????

{{gwi:5901}}

11 years ago

Ouch, Jane, you really won the jackpot!

I didn't reschedule my Friday morning appointment; after all, the forecasts were trending towards mostly rain with just a little snow overnight and then rain again by midday Friday. It's true, there wasn't that much snow overnight and I left the house with minimal shoveling - just a few slushy wet heavy inches here. I figured once I got off the local roads onto the highway all would be well.

Not so, the local roads were OK, but route 3 was awful. Slop all over the roadway, strong wind gusts, and snow aimed at the windshield. Every passing car or truck threw more slop at me (I was driving slowly, very unlike my usual habit).

The local roads at my destination were worse - DEEP slop, hiding who knew what under there. I figured by the time I got out and headed home, the snow would have started turning to rain. Not so, the slop and strong wind gusts were still there.

I have better appreciation now for the local Plymouth plow-people; my rural road was better than the highway and I pulled into my driveway unscathed (but extremely annoyed).

There's probably two inches of wet slop here and the snow is still blowing sideways. So where's the rain?

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Wow, that was a lot, Jane!

The weatherman is on the TV right now trying to explain why we got more snow then they forecast. (g)

We got about 10-12" maybe? It's finally stopped snowing but it's still gray. A lot more shoveling to do than we expected. Can't wait for the 50 degrees that is coming this weekend!

• carol6ma_7ari
    11 years ago

Yes, it finally stopped here in Cambridge, about 2 PM, and the private plow guy opened us up to the street, so I'm heading out. Don't know exactly to do what, but I need to get out!
    Birds have been fine - we overfilled the feeder yesterday and in spite of the high snowcap on its top today, the little perches for their birdy feet were all available.
    And now to put on my mukluks and wade out.

Carol

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

Oh good... I won. I'm so happy, I could spit.
    Jane

11 years ago

The snow is finally going,
    Here Comes The Sun.

Claire