Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mountain laurel "bridesmaid"

Posted by jeelan 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 17:35

I'd like to put a short(ish) mountain laurel against my foundation, where it would get maybe 2-3 hours of morning sun, and have read the the "bridesmaid" variation might be a good one. Does anyone have this and care to comment on how it grows? Easy? Fussy? Is it really no taller than 5 feet?

Also, I cannot for the life of me find where to buy one. I'm in NW Connecticut. Any suggestions on where to look?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mountain laurel "bridesmaid"

Jeelan, I'm not familiar with 'Bridesmaid' but if you want to see some terrific Mt. Laruels ... propagated and grown onsite ... and learn all you need to know about this shrub, you should visit Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden, CT. It's worth the trip from anywhere. You can also check out their online catalogue.

The owner, Dick Jaynes, is a famous breeder of Kalmia latifolia and has introduced many varieties at the nursery. You will even find some of his newest "creations" at the end of his front yard, which is right next to the selling floor.

We've bought several trees, shrubs and evergreens from this nursery. Broken Arrow grows and propagates much of what they sell. Years ago I worked at another nursery, and I can tell you honestly that the product here is some of the best I've seen.

In honor of my mom, who loved Mt. Laurels above all other shrubs, we bought his Kalmia latifolia 'Minuet'. Here's a photo of it from 2012:

Molie

o

Just want to second the recommendation to visit Broken Arrow -- THE source for all things mountain laurel (and lots of other plants, too -- the largest hardy magnolia collection on the East Coast, I think I read?) It's worth the trip. I think they open the first week of April usually. I don't know 'Bridesmaid' either but found this on the UConn hort website (nothing about height, unfortunately):
"'Bridesmaid' - Dark pink buds open to reveal a bicolor bloom on this plant. The outer edges of the flower are pink, while the center is light pink to white. With age, the corolla edge rolls back, making each flower look like a pink porcelain plate. The foliage is dark green and leaf spot resistant. It blooms excessively in sun, so it is best situated in part shade to strike a better balance between shoot growth and flower production."

I noticed that Broken Arrow doesn't have it listed as one of their offerings in their online catalog, but I'd give them a call anyway and ask about it. If they don't have it, they can probably tell you where to get it (or get it for you).

o

Thanks for the Broken Arrow referral--I emailed them, and while they did, in fact, develop Bridesmaid, they don't have it this year and don't know of anyone else who would. It looks like they might be worth a visit, though. The search for a short, shade loving (yet flowering) shrub continues...

o

OK, thread jumping a little LOL... Some one asked in another thread about what is on your Spring buying list...
AND

I think I "need" Mt.Laurles now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here