Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jawoll

mountain laurel "bridesmaid"

jawoll
10 years ago

I'd like to put a short(ish) mountain laurel against my foundation, where it would get maybe 2-3 hours of morning sun, and have read the the "bridesmaid" variation might be a good one. Does anyone have this and care to comment on how it grows? Easy? Fussy? Is it really no taller than 5 feet?

Also, I cannot for the life of me find where to buy one. I'm in NW Connecticut. Any suggestions on where to look?

Comments (4)

• moliep
    10 years ago

Jeelan, I'm not familiar with 'Bridesmaid' but if you want to see some terrific Mt. Laruels ... propagated and grown onsite ... and learn all you need to know about this shrub, you should visit Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden, CT. It's worth the trip from anywhere. You can also check out their online catalogue.

The owner, Dick Jaynes, is a famous breeder of Kalmia latifolia and has introduced many varieties at the nursery. You will even find some of his newest "creations" at the end of his front yard, which is right next to the selling floor.

We've bought several trees, shrubs and evergreens from this nursery. Broken Arrow grows and propagates much of what they sell. Years ago I worked at another nursery, and I can tell you honestly that the product here is some of the best I've seen.

In honor of my mom, who loved Mt. Laurels above all other shrubs, we bought his Kalmia latifolia 'Minuet'. Here's a photo of it from 2012:

Molie

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Just want to second the recommendation to visit Broken Arrow -- THE source for all things mountain laurel (and lots of other plants, too -- the largest hardy magnolia collection on the East Coast, I think I read?) It's worth the trip. I think they open the first week of April usually. I don't know 'Bridesmaid' either but found this on the UConn hort website (nothing about height, unfortunately):
    "'Bridesmaid' - Dark pink buds open to reveal a bicolor bloom on this plant. The outer edges of the flower are pink, while the center is light pink to white. With age, the corolla edge rolls back, making each flower look like a pink porcelain plate. The foliage is dark green and leaf spot resistant. It blooms excessively in sun, so it is best situated in part shade to strike a better balance between shoot growth and flower production."

I noticed that Broken Arrow doesn't have it listed as one of their offerings in their online catalog, but I'd give them a call anyway and ask about it. If they don't have it, they can probably tell you where to get it (or get it for you).

• jawoll
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the Broken Arrow referral--I emailed them, and while they did, in fact, develop Bridesmaid, they don't have it this year and don't know of anyone else who would. It looks like they might be worth a visit, though. The search for a short, shade loving (yet flowering) shrub continues...

• ontheteam
    10 years ago

OK, thread jumping a little LOL... Some one asked in another thread about what is on your Spring buying list...
    AND

I think I "need" Mt.Laurles now!