Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casey1z7act

Let's set a date for the CT spring swap

casey1gw
14 years ago

I know it feels cold today, but we can set a date in late April or early May. I need this much time to mark my calendar and get my pots ready. I'm going to have a lot to divide since this is my garden's 3rd year.

Hedy

Comments (140)

• jaybird34
    13 years ago

Looking for suggestions on best methods for:

Marking plants for swap (including growing conditions)

Marking plants in my garden (especially lillies) to keep track of type and color. For two years I've needed to transplant some that are interdispersed with those I want to keep in the location. From fall to spring I have a tendency to forget where they are :-)
    Advice?

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

George, I found 2 peony seedlings in the garden. I moved one and it had a nice thick root but I've never had a peony seedling before.

What is the name of the foliage plant thatI got from you last fall. You said it was a spreader?

Hedy

• noticklish
    13 years ago

jaybird - some people use popsicle sticks - I use extra mini blind slats cut up- and George is known for using plastic cutlery to label his plants... I would probably use metal tags in the garden.
    Is anyone bringing butterfly bush?- I'm looking for one..

• cat2
    13 years ago

Hello, everyone! Even though I'm not certain I can come yet, I went through and made the 2 lists so if I do come it won't take me too much time to prepare.

I'm afraid that I definitely have a bad case of the red lily beetles on the turks cap tiger lilies and oriental/asiatics as well as nearby plants (a hydrangea, a double coreopsis, & a double heliopsis) also a coreopsis nowhere near any lilies. Last year I tried several things and nothing worked- neem oil, soap, onion spray, insecticides. I may have to clear out the beds of the lilies and probably the coreopsis/heliopsis which had particularly bad cases. Maybe I can save the hydrangea. Anyway- it's rather a lot of work and will leave my front flower bed with no backdrop of taller flowers (& the hummingbirds love the turks-caps- which were right against the house along the front & a great view from the picture window, so I will miss those, & the coreopsis/heliopsis are such flowering workhorses with great cut flowers that I'm hoping to save some rootstock from them) All of them were from early swap years and I have enjoyed them every single year since we moved into the house- and even shared babies and splittings they all did so well. I don't want to bring anything from those beds since I'm sure it will have the beetles in some form.

I am tempted to get some of that spinosad to give it one last try, esp. since clearing out everything will be such a lot of work. Has anyone had any luck at all fighting the beetles? I can't even capture them- they are too fast to drop & then you can't see them.

If I do come, I have about 1/2 dozen large shasta daisies I need to get rid of (& will mark a couple for George). (no lily beetles near them). Kathy has said she will come with me if I can make it, too. If not, I'll try to make it to the fall swap and bring them then.

Any ideas of a good tall but not too wide easy care backdrop plant to replace the lilies?

Good to hear from everyone!

Cathy

• jaybird34
    13 years ago

Thanks Noticklish - are u not ticklish or against ticks? :-). I dug up my plants today. I have a nice sized yellow foxglove for you and a pink/purple pulmonaria.

I'll be bringing some newborn foxglove (yellow);
    a couple of pieces from a medium sized hosta (mostly green with white edge, might be Patriot);
    several day lillies (could be pink, yellow or orange).

Thanks ctlady, look forward to the campanula and monarda!

I'd be happy to pick up bleeding heart, hosta (other than varigated), or try anything that does well in shade or part sun.

Though there's been plenty of chat about that which feeds our souls, how about what feeds our stomachs? There were lots of salads last year, so think I'll bring a variety of finger sandwiches for the heck of it!

• cat_delgado
    13 years ago

Hey Crabgrass_central, I would love a couple of the agastache's regardless, I am creating a new bed with all blue & purple, and Casey1, are any of your irises, white, pink, blue or purple? if they are I definitelly would love some! I have lots and lots of "surprise" plants I'm bringing, it seems everyday I find more plants. LOL. See you all in a week!! soooo excited!!

• wildbill
    13 years ago

Hi everyone -

Sorry for the late entry. Dena and I are both planning to be there. It's always such a great time.

Not sure of everything we'll bring, but I know we'll have some variegated ribbon grass and several pots of Tradescantia, also some heirloom tomatoes. We have some other surprise items like Marty said - we refrained from bringing them to the Manchester Garden Club's sale Saturday so we could give them away at the swap instead.

I also plan to bring some Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansias) I started from seed this spring if anyone is interested. I think they are white, but not 100% sure. I was soooo thrilled last fall when I got a few seed pods - and the seeds actually sprouted!

Carl - that Celandine poppy we got from you is just magnificent. We split it a few weeks ago and put it in a few other places in our gardens.

Bill & Dena

• hunt4carl
    13 years ago

Bill & Dena -

Since the celandine poppy worked so well for YOU, put me down for one of the
    Brugmanias, please !

Carl

• jaybird34
    13 years ago

Ct Lady - I have quite a large stash of pots that my husband despises threatens to throw out on me!
    I'll bring you some quarts and some others just in case anyone else is running short.

• noticklish
    13 years ago

Carl- I would like the Prunus grandulosa rosea (ÂFlowering Almond for my mom if it is not spoken for.
    javaandjazz- I must have gotten my korean lilac from you last year. It was doing great, but 2 days ago a troop of kids stepped on it and the single stem split at the bottom. Do you know if it will resprout from the roots? I left the stem which had flower buds on it, hoping they would still open.

• the_shady_lady
    13 years ago

Did I hear someone say POTS?

I would love as many as I can get. I'm fussy though. I want pots no smaller than what I call a "quart square". (They fit about 6-8 on a tray.) No itsy, bisty pots or cell packs. No larger than a gallon.

I would also take trays - only the open kind with no compartments.

I'll bring quite a few perennials as well as some grasses.

Virginia

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Virginia, I still have a stack of pots for you that I was supposed to bring to the fall swap before it was cancelled. But - oh no! - they're round! Do you still want them?

:)
    Dee

• Richard Dollard
    13 years ago

Dee, Have you done a CSA at one of the farms in Shelton(Stone something?) and have you gotten fresh eggs at East Village farm? Richie

• Linda Ricketts
    13 years ago

Hi, a couple of "newbies" would love to attend. We can bring snacks! What time?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Richie, I always get my eggs from East Village Farm. I have bought from Stone Gardens, but don't have a CSA share. I work at Beardsley Farm, so I get a lot of stuff there. We'll talk at the swap!

Dee
    P.S. Linda, I think our start time is 11AM - hopefully someone will back me up on this (or correct me, lol!)

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

Oh dear, I see I am overdue with my deja-vous thread. Yes, 11:00 AM. Information thread linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: information for swap

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Sounds tempting, I'm a newbie with pots but nothing else. It's kind of a long drive for me though - anybody in southern Litchfield/northern Hartford counties?

• Richard Dollard
    13 years ago

Thanks Dee, looking forward to talking about local farm produce and eggs and stuff.
    Noticklish, I have several more lilacs so you are welcomed to take another just in case.

• ctlady_gw
    13 years ago

ajsmama -- where are you located? I'm in Woodbury (southern Litchfield County) and will be going Sunday. Are you looking for a ride? Just let me know... (same offer goes for Woodburylinda, who I assume must live in Woodbury?)

jaybird -- would love some of the pots! Between a plant sale and the swap, I've gone through every mid-sized pot I had (and that was a lot!)

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

ctlady - are you heading down Rte 8? I could meet you in Winsted or somewhere.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Darn, DS has a baseball game at 9am and DD has T-ball at noon so I don't think I can make it even with a ride. If anyone is in the Winsted/Torrington/Canton/Granby area I'd love to meet up some other time (after Little League season LOL?)! Until then I'm just going to hang out here and pick your brains.

• ego45
    13 years ago

If anyone is interested in 2 to 7G pots and/or 8-12" white hanging baskets, let me know.

• noticklish
    13 years ago

George- I would be interested in a large pot or 2 to grow tomato plants in. Thanks!

• Richard Dollard
    13 years ago

Would anyone care for one small plumeria started from a branch that was knocked off last year?

• Linda Ricketts
    13 years ago

ctlady -- thanks, I'm in Woodlake and I'll be riding with my neighbor.

BTW,I have a bunch of empty pots that I will bring.

• Richard Dollard
    13 years ago

ok, just back from my walk and as I passed by someone's recycle bin that was still full from being put out late I see a dozen neatly stacked plastic flower pots of various sizes; I couldn't help myself and I took them! Will come in handy around my yard!

• cat_delgado
    13 years ago

Okay, I know this may be a stupid question but I figure I'll ask it anyway. Is there an address for Monroe Park that I can put into my GPS to get to the picnic area? I've never been there before and dont know how big it is or how to get there, I dont want to go and walk around for 2 hours like a big dummy :) I'm ready for the swap, got all my plants potted, labeled and ready to go into the car. LOL. I'll be bringing some brownies, I read that last year there were alot of salads so I'm not going to make one, I figure my plants will have enough green for the day :) LOL

• ego45
    13 years ago

noticklish, how big you want them to be? I do have some 15G as well.

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

cat - follow the link below. The picnic grove is at the vary far side of all the parking lots. Just keep going to the very back corner and there will be a driveway to the grove.

Here is a link that might be useful: information thread

• ctlady_gw
    13 years ago

OK, a few more days to dig if I've forgotten anyone. Here is my list as of now (hopefully correct -- if I've overlooked one of your requests, let me know!)

For:

Jaybird: Cherry Bells
    Abi: Monarda, Hardy Geranium, Native Heuchera (Alumroot)
    Greenbug: Monarda, Cherry Bells, Mint, Hostas (what kind, size do you want?)
    Noticklish: Hardy & Native Geranium, Sweet Woodruff,
    Dee: Native Geranium, Native Heuchera
    Ostrovok: Hardy Geranium, lemon balm, mint
    Crabgrass_central: Daylilies, Stella DÂOros (3-4)
    Richie: Spirea "Bridal Veil"

Did I miss anyone?

As for things going HOME with me, here's what I'm hoping climbs into my car:

Crabgrass_Central: Xerochrysum bracteatum
    Hedy: Verbena hastata
    Abi: Common milkweed
    Cat_delgado: KimÂs Knee High, ostrich fern
    Carl: Baptisia Australis, Stylophorum (if there's an extra)
    Jaybird: Pots

I am bringing extras and a few unlisted surprises. Do we need more sandwiches or should I bring a dessert instead? People are bringing their own beverages, right? (no wine allowed in the park, for you newbies!)

/ Marty

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Gee, I just realized I have about 30 small pots of echinacea! I dug up some this spring to bring, and then found a tray I had put aside for last fall, before the swap was cancelled. I was just outside pulling out an average of three little oak saplings per pot (yes, I left them outside over the winter!). I hope someone wants some, because I've got plenty. I think I am going to start pulling these as weeds in my beds now. (the coneflowers, not the oaks, lol!) Too many! Agghhhhh!

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Dee,

I'll take a few of those coneflowers off your hands for the soon-to-be (hopefully) monarch station at the land trust. Thanks!

• cat2
    13 years ago

Well,I was trying to juggle the schedule to make it down to the swap, but something new has come up. I will be going to Vermont to visit my brother, who lives down south but is up visiting our grandmother (short notice). He's had a tough time with the economy and everything, lost his job and house along with so many others, so I really can't pass up the chance to see him while he's job hunting up north.

I'll wait and plan to bring the shastas down another time. Hopefully by then something will have resolved about the lily beetles. I'm sure everyone will enjoy the day as it looks like the weather will cooperate, so have fun!

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

cat2 - Too bad! I was looking forward to seeing you! Make sure to come in the fall, K? Enjoy your family visit!

Deb

• noticklish
    13 years ago

George- I think the 7 gallon would work nicely or one size up. 3 of the same size pots would be great. I don't think I have ever seen a 15G pot before. Would it hold 3 tomato plants and a square cage?
    Does anyone have an extra rooted fothergilla?
    I was going to order one from bluest*** but they are sold out.
    One of my interests right now is finding shrubs that have bright fall color. (other than the invasive euonymus burning bush)Any suggestions ...?

• crabgrass_central
    13 years ago

Dee, I would also love any echinacea I can get my hands on, especially if they're taller than groundhog dining height. (Guess what has happened to ALL my ech seedlings for two years running ...)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

crabgrass, the echs I have are on the small side - they are self-sown seedlings, so not very big yet. But you are welcome to whatever I have. I'll check again to see if I have any larger ones I can dig - I'm sure I do, lol!

Actually, the ones I dug up last week are still looking kind of droopy. I hope they recover...

Sorry you can't make it Cat. Have fun in Vermont!

Dee

• jaybird34
    13 years ago

Ctlady, I am so happy you put an "s" at the end of my contribution to you! Also you were going to put me down for Monarda?

Diggerdee, have no fear, I'd be happy to lay claim to a couple of your echinacea.

Thanks, See you Sunday!

• ctlady_gw
    13 years ago

Jaybird -- missed your monarda request (comes of keeping everything on little bitty post-its!) but yes, plenty of it -- will put your name on a pot.

Am bringing tortilla rollups w/salsa (instead of a dessert -- sounded as if we had plenty of those coming...).

Sunday sounds BEAUTIFUL - whew!

/ Marty

• crabgrass_central
    13 years ago

Any echs are welcome, Dee. I've been better this year at spraying with Bobbex after our frequent rains. You might even call it an obession. Bring it, groundhog.

• wildbill
    13 years ago

Cat_Delgado - I know this is kinda late, Dena asked if you have any extra Kim's knee high coneflower would you please set one aside? Thanks.

We'll also be happy to take any extra empty pots anyone has.

I'm gonna bake rye bread tonight, we'll bring that and some herb butter for it.

Plantwise, some other items we are bringing in addition to the ribbon grass and tradescantia are:

1 Siberian Iris, dark purple
    1 Lemon balm
    4 Tansy plants
    some calendulas
    some red poppies

Looks like it's going to be the perfect day tomorrow. Can't wait to see everyone again.

Bill & Dena

• ctlady_gw
    4 years ago

Good idea!

• cloud_9
    4 years ago

I was just talking about this with Marty - I am in CT permanently now, so would be willing to host even if it is a get-together. Excellent idea to post on old thread - lots of names here I miss!

• Richard Dollard
    4 years ago

I'm in!

• ctlady_gw
    4 years ago

Me, too! Fall is slower, more relaxing. SO much happening in the spring months, though I think those are in general better times to be digging plants! I'm happy to host as well...

• Richard Dollard
    4 years ago

bump

• Marie Tulin
    4 years ago

hi "Diggerdee" and Cloud-9

just popped over to look at this thread and say hello! The garden now officially too much, but I haven't figured what to jettison. This website, in all its iterations, was so important in my garden learning.

Marie (idabean)

• Richard Dollard
    4 years ago

bump

• cloud_9
    4 years ago

Hi Marie! Miss you!