Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Long Day - Short Day

runktrun
14 years ago

Lately I have been considering that the limited number of strong daylight hours due to frequent spr*ing and early summer fog could be the cause of my inability to successfully grow pl*ants that should be thrilled with my irrigated acidic sandy soil. As well as the converse ability to grow more shade loving plants such as Hydrangea macrophylla in full sun.

I have been read*ing what limited information I could find on;

short day plants - initiate flowers with short days and long nights ie mums, tulips, aster, and salvia.

long day plants - initiate flowers with long days and short nights, ie hib*iscus, larkspur and delphinium.

day-neutral plants - bloom under either short or long-day conditions ie geranium, pansy and snapdragon.

Other than a few examples such as Delphiniums being long day plantsÂwell that certainly explains why this (granted short lived) plant has never returned in my gar*den. This might also explain why more tropical plants such as Agapanthus that is capable of wintering over in warmer coastal zones bloom much later in the season.

I have been unable to find a complete list of short, long, and neutral day plants. Do you have any suggestions about where I should search? Do you think there is more to my query than I know?

ps... Ok GW I surrender the asterisk I have added now on four different attempts to post this message has just resulted in linking yet another different word in this post. You may have me for now but eventually I and others will just move on to other forums with less blatent forms of public opinion advertising.

Comments (2)