Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisahloo_gw

planting peas

lisahloo
16 years ago

Its about that time - am I too late already, or too early still?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• aloha10
    16 years ago

Peas are noted to be a "cold weather crop but it is a bit early for zone 6. I have found better germination and higher yields if I wait until the soil warms into the 50's. I grow super sugar snaps and get great results growing in raised beds. Use a pea innoculant. Place seeds in a zip lock bag with a few drops of water and a bit of the innoculant. Shake and then plant. I use the Jim Crockett method scattering seed in a six-8 inch wide trench and I grow on nylon netting with additional twine support as needed as your prevailing winds direct.
    Happy Pea Pickin.

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Hi there. I don't grow peas, but I just read an interesting article in 'Organic Gardening' about dissolving a Vitamin C tablet (150mg) in water, then soaking your pea seeds for 24 hours. Germination rates were much higher, and plants yielded 40% more...???
    Just a thot....

• stoloniferous
    16 years ago

I was just out working on our new pea bed with my hubby. We plan to do one tower of peas the normal way, and one the vitamin-C way, for comparison. I think he intends to get the seeds in the ground by next weekend.

• ellen_s
    16 years ago

Stoloniferous..let us know the results of your testing, citizen science is always good :-)
    As Sconticut says, the soil is not warm enough for peas yet..

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    16 years ago

You can get an idea of soil temperatures in MA from the UMass Landscape Message.

UMass Landscape Message March 6, 2008

Scroll down to the Environmental Data table - even in the Cape and southeast regions the temps were only about 35 to 40 degrees.

Claire

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

We always planted our peas 3/17 to 4/1. I'm shooting for April 1. But thanks for the link, Claire.

• stoloniferous
    16 years ago

My husband's peas are already soaking, so it looks like we'll be planting them week whether or not the soil temp is ideal. :) We will be sure to document everything!

• asarum
    16 years ago

Also remember that peas are critter magnets. They like the sweet taste as much as we do.

• veggieholic
    15 years ago

So, how did the experiment work out? Were your pea yields increased? I am also wondering if anyone has tried soaking the peas in some combination of orange juice and water, since orange juice is high in both vitamin c and folic acid, I am wondering if it would provide similar benefits to the vitamin tablet. Has anyone tried it?

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

Wow, veg, thanks for bringing this post back. I'm curious about stoloniferous's vitamin c test, too. But ... I haven't seen her around here for awhile.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I hadn't read this last year. Interesting idea. I just planted pea seeds in cell packs this afternoon, after soaking in water. I have another tripod that I am planting more on, so I will try soaking the next batch in the orange juice for an experiment. I love experiments and this looks like an easy one.

pm2

• veggieholic
    15 years ago

I did the experiment too. I divided my package of peas in half and soaked one half in water and one half in water/orange juice combination. I planted them on Saturday. I can't wait to see how this works! prairiemoon2- please report back with your results later so we can compare :)

• orchard17
    15 years ago

Just for the heck of it I soaked one packet of peas in some Emergen-C last night. I'm going to break out the rain gear and get them in the ground this afternoon. I'll plant the other packet in a few weeks and post the results at the end of the harvest. I would love to hear how everyone else's harvest turned out as well. I'm growing the 30" vines but would still like to trellis them with something homemade. Any interesting pictures/designs out there? I've got tons of sticks and twine.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I've planted my first batch without oj but nothing coming up yet. I am also waiting to stagger harvest and will soak the next batch in oj.

:-)