Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornus Cardinal

Posted by diggerdee z6 CT (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 19:42

Any experience with this dogwood? I'm a little disappointed in my Ivory Halos, and this caught my eye. My biggest concern is suckering.

Comments, experience, thoughts?

Thanks!
Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: cardinal at Bluestone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornus Cardinal

I don't grow this cultivar, but was looking at it also. Below I've linked a thread I found that references suckering for Cardinal.

Dogwoods by Cappiello and Shadow says "has brilliant red winter stems but is otherwise typical for the species. . . . In the southern part of its range (z. 7 & 8) winter stem color is more of a yellow-orange than the brilliant reds seen in northern landscapes. (It originated in MN.) About the species in general they say, "The suckering habit makes it a bit tough to use this dogwood in smaller scale landscapes."

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: brightest red twigged dogwood thread

o

Thanks babs. That last sentence may be all I need to make a decision! And thanks for that link. I considered posting this question on the shrub forum, but don't usually post there; thought I would start here with folks I know, lol.

Thanks!
Dee

o

Dee -- I pulled almost all my 'Cardinals' out last year for several reasons: first, I was always disappointed with the color. It was always much more muted and closer to orange, not the deep flaming red I'd wanted. But more importantly: the SAWFLIES! OMG! Every summer those redtwigs were stripped bare in the course of a few weeks. I ended up spending hours plucking off curled up sawfly caterpillars. It just wasn't worth it (plus I had read to be careful planting too near one's house if one has clapboard because they will climb up under the clapboards). So I ripped them out. I don't miss them a bit!

o

Thanks Marty. I think between your post, babs' post and the link she gave, maybe I'll pass on this one, or at the very least, put them in the patch of woods I have. But I think for the purpose I wanted them for, I'll look around for something else. Too bad - the photos and the descriptions were awfully tempting....

Thanks!
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here