Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easter Cactus at Shaw's

Posted by muffin1358 6/MA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 19:48

Just sharing at siting....

True Easter Cactus at Shaw's for $6.99. Their flyer advertises them as Spring Cactus...4" pot. Price good thru 3/27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easter Cactus at Shaw's

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 20:26

Thanks, muffin. I was at Shaw's in Cedarville today and didn't see any but I'll keep my eyes out.

Claire

o

Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 14:44

I went to Shaw's today and they had some nice Easter Cacti. I bought two @ $6.99.

Claire

o

Did you?! That's great! What colors did you get?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:00

These need it cool to bud, I get flowers by keeping them in an unheated greenhouse (where they have so far survived some quite low temperatures).

I have no trouble flowering the crab cactus types in the house but the Easter cactus never blooms unless kept outside. Interestingly, bottle cactus (Hatiora salicornoides) does flower under ordinary indoor condtions; if we are to have Easter cactus in Hatiora also then there is a horticulturally significant split in behavior within the genus.

o

Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:13

One with white buds with one flower open and one with peachy/pink buds not open yet so I'm not sure if they'll keep the same shade. Both plants look healthy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Claire

o

Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:29

bboy: I have problems keeping the house cool enough for some plants to set bud. I'm hoping that the Easter Cacti (Rhipsalidopsis?) will behave like my clivia, which blooms about a month after it goes out on the deck in spring when the temperatures are still chilly. The clivia always blooms in July. The Christmas cacti (Schlumbergera) stay out as long as possible and set bud there in the fall.

Claire

o

Pretty! It looks like they planted many segments in each pot.

o

Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 17:24

The pink one is starting to open its buds:

And I got another one today - I didn't really need a third but it was the only one left, some of its flowers were gone by, and it was drying out, so I went into rescue mode. I got it home and watered and spritzed it, and it's perking up.

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here