Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I buy this Gardenia?

Posted by hatrickk289 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 20:19

Snow princess, likely a seedling being raised by a nursery, has claims of being hardy to zone 5, according to wildthingsgrow.com. It's difficult for me to trust what they're saying as you can never listen to information from someone who is trying to sell to you, and plus, it's difficult to find anyone with experience with this gardenia as it is not widely sold. Should I take a gamble with this plant? And Can I even trust a nursery who claims Crown Jewel Gardenia is hardy to zone 4? ZONE 4! Some people are lucky if they can grow a Gardenia in zone 7...

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow Princess Gardenia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I buy this Gardenia?

I went to the website you posted and got "Green Chapel Farms". While the website looks good, some of the claims seem a bit far-fetched to me. One thing that bothered me is that if you read the descriptions of many of their products, the text says one thing while the list of attributes at the bottom of the text says something different, such as hardiness. Also, one description for "Albizzia julibrissn" is just plain wrong, stating that in has flowers in winter or early spring! No way. I would have my doubts about buying there to be honest.

Photobucket

o
RE: Should I buy this Gardenia?

THis isn't a reply to your question, since I know nothing about gardenias - I was just interested in the vendor, wild things grow. I checked the garden watchdog web site, which you can find by googling garden watchdog. I typed in wild things grow and picked the nursery with that exact name. The link to their web site is broken, and of the 2 reviews on them one is very bad and one is very good.

I don't believe everything I read on the watchdog site, but in this case I think I'd agree with Bill; I wouldn't use them. Google hardy gardenia or ask at a reputable local nursery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here