Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is Blooming in Your Garden - March 2011 - a Photo Thread

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 20:30

I though we could have a monthly thread showing what is blooming in our gardens. It's March right now, so not a lot of blooms here - but I was thrilled when I went outside today and saw both a crocus and a miniature iris in bloom - joining my snowdrops!

SnowDrop

Photobucket

Crocus

Photobucket

Photobucket

Miniature Iris

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is Blooming in Your Garden - March 2011 - a Photo Thread

These early spring flowers are some of my absolute favorites. I always love seeing pictures of them.

I also find them extremely hard to photograph. I tried today, and got a little collection of over-exposed, out-of-focus, poorly-composed photo episodes. :) I'll try again soon, but, meanwhile:

workplace Hamamelis:

"special" hellebores waiting to be carted off to new garden:

Amanda

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 16:22

Just hellebores and snowdrops so far.

Hellebores:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The snowdrops were unexpected - there were three clumps where I did not plant them - no sign of the ones I planted. They don't seem to do that well here.

No crocuses yet; I raked leaves today thinking the crocuses might be sleeping under the mulch.

Claire

o

Pussy Willows! Actually budding I guess but so pretty!

o

Some early crocus just opened today (maybe yesterday).

Before that, in order of appearance, it was winter heath, winter jasmine, hellebores, snowdrops, witch hazel, winter aconite, and Dawn viburnum.

Winter heath:

From latewinter2011

Christmas rose (H. niger - can;t seem to get a good photo of this!)

From latewinter2011

o

More pictures of the usual suspects.

snowdrops
spring,snowdrop

winter aconite
spring,winter aconite

black pussy willows (I think)
spring,pussy willow

early crocuses in the lawn
spring,crocus

late crocuses in a garden bed
spring,crocus

Christmas rose
spring,hellebore

o

Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 13:34

Not really a bloom, but this morning I noticed some sedum rosettes next to the concrete foundation on the south side of the house.

I'm happy to consider them "green roses" for now.

Claire

o

Rats, I don't have my photos in a sharing page except facebook. I don't mind making the photos public so I can share them with you guys, but I don't know how to embed them so you don't have to click through a link. I'll try it this way and keep on researching. If anyone knows how to embed facebook photos that would be awesome. I know I can do it with picasa, but I am not sure I want to upload photos to facebook and picasa both, every time I take a garden picture!.

Crocus

Dwarf Iris

More Crocus

Witch-hazel

I'm not sure if you need a facebook account to see these, but I know I have it set up that anyone on facebook can see them, no need to be "friends"...though I am happy to have as many gardener "friends" as I can!

Lisa

o

Lisa - I don't have a facebook account, so I can't see your pictures.

Claire - I love your green roses. It's March, so every bit of greenery is considered blooming!

Right now I'm so happy to see my little tulip sproutlets. It's interesting how the tulip greenery sprouts up first, but the daffodils bloom first. (You can't even see, but there are clumps of daffodils between all the clumps of tulips).

Tulip Sprouts

o

I've noticed over the years that my yellow crocuses open first, followed by the white, and finally the purple. I finally have purple crocuses open! Or at least darn near close to open!

Photobucket

o

"just hellebores", indeed! I kiss the earth they grow in! Two blossoms, a dozen big fat red buds and lots of ratty foliage. But it's all good, it's all good.

idabean

o

Hmm. How to get the photos off my phone...

Crocuses!!!

o

Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 16:47

Crocuses here too, FINALLY! The first ones just started popping out of the ground this morning.

Claire

o

There's a lot of new green growth showing on the perennials I winter sowed last year along with a solitary purple crocus and some snowdrops. Daffs have bright yellow buds on them so they'll pop open soon.

Finally got a clear shot of Mr. C on my birdfeeder

Solitary crocus

CT Yankee delphinium from winter sown seed (first time growing delphs)

Montauk daisy from winter sown seed

Painted daisy from winter sown seed (another new-to-me perennial)

Early harbinger of spring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here