Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

What is Blooming in Your Garden - March 2011 - a Photo Thread

pixie_lou
13 years ago

I though we could have a monthly thread showing what is blooming in our gardens. It's March right now, so not a lot of blooms here - but I was thrilled when I went outside today and saw both a crocus and a miniature iris in bloom - joining my snowdrops!

SnowDrop

Crocus

Miniature Iris

Comments (13)

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    13 years ago

These early spring flowers are some of my absolute favorites. I always love seeing pictures of them.

I also find them extremely hard to photograph. I tried today, and got a little collection of over-exposed, out-of-focus, poorly-composed photo episodes. :) I'll try again soon, but, meanwhile:

workplace Hamamelis:

"special" hellebores waiting to be carted off to new garden:

Amanda

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Just hellebores and snowdrops so far.

Hellebores:

The snowdrops were unexpected - there were three clumps where I did not plant them - no sign of the ones I planted. They don't seem to do that well here.

No crocuses yet; I raked leaves today thinking the crocuses might be sleeping under the mulch.

Claire

• pondlily
    13 years ago

Pussy Willows! Actually budding I guess but so pretty!

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Some early crocus just opened today (maybe yesterday).

Before that, in order of appearance, it was winter heath, winter jasmine, hellebores, snowdrops, witch hazel, winter aconite, and Dawn viburnum.

Winter heath:

From latewinter2011

Christmas rose (H. niger - can;t seem to get a good photo of this!)

From latewinter2011

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

More pictures of the usual suspects.

snowdrops

winter aconite

black pussy willows (I think)

early crocuses in the lawn

late crocuses in a garden bed

Christmas rose

13 years ago

Not really a bloom, but this morning I noticed some sedum rosettes next to the concrete foundation on the south side of the house.

I'm happy to consider them "green roses" for now.

Claire

• lschibley
    13 years ago

Rats, I don't have my photos in a sharing page except facebook. I don't mind making the photos public so I can share them with you guys, but I don't know how to embed them so you don't have to click through a link. I'll try it this way and keep on researching. If anyone knows how to embed facebook photos that would be awesome. I know I can do it with picasa, but I am not sure I want to upload photos to facebook and picasa both, every time I take a garden picture!.

Crocus

Dwarf Iris

More Crocus

Witch-hazel

I'm not sure if you need a facebook account to see these, but I know I have it set up that anyone on facebook can see them, no need to be "friends"...though I am happy to have as many gardener "friends" as I can!

Lisa

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa - I don't have a facebook account, so I can't see your pictures.

Claire - I love your green roses. It's March, so every bit of greenery is considered blooming!

Right now I'm so happy to see my little tulip sproutlets. It's interesting how the tulip greenery sprouts up first, but the daffodils bloom first. (You can't even see, but there are clumps of daffodils between all the clumps of tulips).

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've noticed over the years that my yellow crocuses open first, followed by the white, and finally the purple. I finally have purple crocuses open! Or at least darn near close to open!

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

"just hellebores", indeed! I kiss the earth they grow in! Two blossoms, a dozen big fat red buds and lots of ratty foliage. But it's all good, it's all good.

idabean

• wispfox
    13 years ago

Hmm. How to get the photos off my phone...

Crocuses!!!

13 years ago

Crocuses here too, FINALLY! The first ones just started popping out of the ground this morning.

Claire

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

There's a lot of new green growth showing on the perennials I winter sowed last year along with a solitary purple crocus and some snowdrops. Daffs have bright yellow buds on them so they'll pop open soon.

Finally got a clear shot of Mr. C on my birdfeeder
    {{gwi:367774}}

Solitary crocus
    {{gwi:367775}}

CT Yankee delphinium from winter sown seed (first time growing delphs)
    {{gwi:212038}}

Montauk daisy from winter sown seed
    {{gwi:212039}}

Painted daisy from winter sown seed (another new-to-me perennial)
    {{gwi:212040}}

Early harbinger of spring
    {{gwi:367778}}