Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Peepers!!

I was driving home from work tonight when I was caught by surprise by the sound of peepers! "Yay! Peepers!" I thought. My next thought was that I had to rush right home and post about it here, lol.

But I was kind of surprised to see that no one had posted yet this year. Am I really the first to hear them? Or have people been hearing them and no one just has posted yet?

Dee

Comments (38)

• girlcat36
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, lucky you! I was just saying to hubby the other night that I can't wait for spring peepers! I'm on the Cape and we haven't heard them yet.

Teresa

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

Up here (my place) the ground and pond are still frozen and still have 80% snow cover. Last year the wood frogs and peepers first showed up on April 22 and 26 respectively. If this warm weather pattern holds it will be interesting to see what dates they show up.

• molie
    12 years ago

I agree � lucky you, Dee! I really miss the sounds of these darling creatures, especially at night.

Molie

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

I just added your report (first on the forum) to the First spring peeper reports in New England: FAQ Thanks!

Nothing here, but I haven't gone across the street at the right time to check. I will tonight.

Claire

• ctmike
    12 years ago

They were peeping away in Glastonbury last night as well

• corunum z6 CT
    12 years ago

I found this peeper clip interesting, perhaps others will too.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: CTNaturalist.org

12 years ago

ctmike: I entered your report in the FAQ, thanks!

Jane: Love that peeper clip! I wish I could add it to the FAQ but it's against GW rules.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Thanks for the video, Jane. I found it interesting. I never realized before just how tiny the peeper frogs were, nor did I know they don't burrow under the mud in ponds over winter or that they live in the forest during the summer.

I remember years ago walking up the road by the frog pond and hubby wondering aloud how the lady frogs could decide which male was the sexiest in the midst of the deafening chorus.

As SquireJohn said, it is normally another month before they start singing here, and will be interesting to see if they make an earlier appearance this year.

• richdelmo
    12 years ago

Plenty in South Weymouth the last two nights.

12 years ago

The last two nights, rich? That gives you first bragging rights on March 11. That's north of me, but probably more inland. Entered in the FAQ.

I once saw a peeper on a plant in a local nursery. At least, another person there insisted it was a tree frog and I remember a cross on the back. It was past the singing season; more into the plant buying season.

Claire

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

I just heard them for the first time tonight on my way to the gas station. So sometime soon they should start at home. Usually it's the first night we sleep with the windows open, but I don't think we are quite there yet.

• bebebzzz
    12 years ago

Heard them tonight in New Fairfield, CT for the first time, and like Dee, my first thought after "Wooo hooooo - peepers!" was "I have to get home really quick to post it on the forum!"
    :)

• amysrq
    12 years ago

One peeper last night, here in Northampton, MA. Many peepers tonight!! With my office window cracked, I am enjoying the concert!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for that Bebe - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with weird thoughts while driving home, lol!

And glad to hear that others are hearing them too. Hopefully, spring is almost here!

Dee

• rockman50
    12 years ago

They are singing tonight here in South Dartmouth MA.....

12 years ago

All reports to date entered.

Claire (who forgot to walk across the street to listen last night)

• cloud_9
    12 years ago

I heard them last night in Bridgewater as well. I had been hearing the wood frogs during the day, but kept forgetting to listen in the evening. Instant Spring!
    : D

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Heard them this afternoon on the drive home from work with car windows down it's so lovely outside. That's peepers in Somers, Tolland County, CT on March 14. How sweet the sound!!!

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

Wonderful video, and wonderful anticipation to hear them in person; maybe this next weekend which will be our first visit to our RI place since last Thanksgiving. (Lots of garden clean-up to do, but it would be great to have that musical accompaniment to our work.)

Carol

• richdelmo
    12 years ago

Claire I reported hearing them two nights in a row March 13th as you commented on but on my face book page I posted hearing them on an earlier date while walking a pond in Weymouth during the day, it was either the 8th or 9th but I'm not certain which.

12 years ago

Rich: I just posted a second entry for you in the FAQ - first report for Weymouth as well as South Weymouth.

Still nothing here. I've been checking each evening.

Claire

• girlcat36
    12 years ago

I'm still awaiting peepers here on the Mid-Cape. Maybe tonite's the night!

Teresa

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Peppers in North Dighon AND Avon Ma this week since about Monday ! WHOO HOO Spring Spring Spring

12 years ago

ontheteam: I added both sightings to the FAQ and used Zone 6b for both since that's what the USDA 2012 map says. Do you agree? I can change it easily.

Claire

12 years ago

Finally, tonight, I heard a few very tentative, hopeful "peep.......peep.............peep" coming from the direction of the old cranberry bog. If they're waking up I should hear a chorus from the house in a few days.

Claire

• briggszilla
    12 years ago

Heard them last night in Warwick, RI :)

12 years ago

Last night I forgot to say where I heard the peepers. I walked across the street here in the Ellisville section of Plymouth, MA Zone 6b.

Claire

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Nope claire you are right I just forget to change my zone w/ my name!

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

I heard what I think must be wood frogs the past two nights. (I looked them up and listened to an mp3 of their song and believe that is what I've been hearing. Interesting, they, like the peepers, freeze solid all winter and then come to life with the spring thaw.)

Still no peepers her in Vermont zone 4, but hopefully soon!

• houstworks
    12 years ago

Peepers last night Southern Vermont near Brattleboro
    - March 18th
    ewww way too early for me.

12 years ago

spedigrees: I think the wood frogs sing a few days before the peepers, so the peeps should come soon. Another nice sound of spring.

Claire

• terrene
    12 years ago

Peepers were peeping March 18th in Concord, MA too. I think this is a week or two earlier than usual.

Happy Spring everybody!

• girlcat36
    12 years ago

Finally! We have peepers in Centerville, Ma!

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Claire, you are prescient! Sure enough tonight the peepers are singing their little hearts out here in Danby, Vermont, zone 4, just on the heels of the wood frogs the past couple nights. They're celebrating the first day of spring apparently. Music to my ears!

• defrost49
    12 years ago

Wow, spedigrees. We didn't hear any at home here in NH zone 5ish but we heard them in Canterbury NH just a few miles west.

• ohsillyme
    12 years ago

Heard them tonite in Wakefield, MA!!
    a memorable moment, my 15yo son actually stopped to listen with me and....a smile! :D

like the others, my first thought was of posting it on this forum!

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

First peepers of the year here in Northfield VT on April 15.